Quarterly cost: �0

March 29, 2024, 05:50:41 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: ***** IMPORTANT ****** Season 26 Mid Season Review  (Read 13476 times)
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2014, 06:45:31 PM +0100 »

Fair enough, but without specifics, you will find competitors stretching the rules. scared

See R1 in Graduates Season 18 for an example of "stretching" the rules......  whistling

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
john roberts
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2014, 01:35:40 AM +0100 »

no rules stretched there , you got the start line tokens .

if you had been able to drive a bit you might have got more of an advantage , that said the token system does favour those that can race (above those that just roll over the line for startline tokens) . 
DLogan

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2014, 09:12:54 AM +0100 »

What I've found this season is that the 50% distance rule for finishing ends up penalising those who are unwittingly kiboshed by some poor unfortunate malfunction, be that car-related or, ahem, person-related. I used to have a couple of good races a season but still turn up to most, even when the engine let go I'd still finish decently in the standings. Now, I can be overtaken in the standings by a 1-shot wonder winning 1 race and attempting no more. Whilst it's good in theory, in practice it doesn't reward participation. I'd propose removing that requirement for future seasons...

My thoughts, exactly. Add an internet-related mishap or two and it's really difficult to maintain motivation for further participation when you've only scored 3 times in a season, despite showing up every week.

I'm not the fastest, and I'm still making too many mistakes to expect to win championships, but I'm usually towards the sharp end. Facing a 0 points result week after week, with the majority of the incidents being out of your hands, as much as I love GPL and like you guys, is ****** frustrating.

Especially when stuff like Assetto Corsa is out, and your computer handles it wonderfully, and there are a whole whack of new leagues forming with good runners (that are inviting you)... whistling
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2014, 09:36:48 AM +0100 »

What I've found this season is that the 50% distance rule for finishing ends up penalising those who are unwittingly kiboshed by some poor unfortunate malfunction, be that car-related or, ahem, person-related. I used to have a couple of good races a season but still turn up to most, even when the engine let go I'd still finish decently in the standings. Now, I can be overtaken in the standings by a 1-shot wonder winning 1 race and attempting no more. Whilst it's good in theory, in practice it doesn't reward participation. I'd propose removing that requirement for future seasons...

My thoughts, exactly. Add an internet-related mishap or two and it's really difficult to maintain motivation for further participation when you've only scored 3 times in a season, despite showing up every week.

I'm not the fastest, and I'm still making too many mistakes to expect to win championships, but I'm usually towards the sharp end. Facing a 0 points result week after week, with the majority of the incidents being out of your hands, as much as I love GPL and like you guys, is ****** frustrating.

Especially when stuff like Assetto Corsa is out, and your computer handles it wonderfully, and there are a whole whack of new leagues forming with good runners (that are inviting you)... whistling

It makes no sense to score points if you retire early in the race, especially if there's a low turn out. Failures, accidents and so on, are part of racing. Those things tend to even out over the course of a season, so it's the same for everyone. Any additional "bad luck" you may have is most likely your own doing, your own mistakes. As for people causing incidents, isn't that what the penalty system is for, to prevent them from happening in the future? If incidents keep on repeating, then obviously the system isn't working well enough in punishing those who are at fault.

As for new sims, there STILL isn't a replacement for GPL, incredible as it may seem. It's irrelevant how much better graphics, sound and FF new sims have, or the extra physical properties they simulate, nothing still gives the sense of driving an old F1 car like GPL does. This, IMO, will keep GPL going strong for at least a few more years to come.

Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2014, 06:59:09 PM +0100 »

I'm not the fastest, and I'm still making too many mistakes to expect to win championships, but I'm usually towards the sharp end. Facing a 0 points result week after week, with the majority of the incidents being out of your hands, as much as I love GPL and like you guys, is ****** frustrating

Preaching to the converted. Participation should be rewarded as a priority to encourage people to turn up regularly. The 50% distance completion madness to score points should never have been implemented across all the championships in my opinion. I can only hope it is dispensed with next season.
DLogan

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2014, 07:32:23 PM +0100 »

...Failures, accidents and so on, are part of racing. Those things tend to even out over the course of a season, so it's the same for everyone...

Theory =/= reality.

...If incidents keep on repeating, then obviously the system isn't working well enough in punishing those who are at fault...

Yup.

...nothing still gives the sense of driving an old F1 car like GPL does...

Please regale us with the tales of all those times you've driven an old F1 car.  Roll Eyes
Tom van Ostade

"anything can happen, and it usually does"

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2014, 12:02:37 AM +0100 »

I like the 50 % rule. It promotes more gentleman like races, although it usually takes some time before participants understand. After that, less impatient bonehead moves (or blatant blocking by the defending driver), more race craft, thrill and enjoyment.

I also hope the token system for divisions other than Graduates is still being looked at. As a first time participant in the F2 Division last weekend, seeing half the field in Matra MS7's was rather disappointing.

Robert Fleurke
Former UKGPL Moderators

GPL Forever!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2014, 09:58:33 AM +0100 »

I also hope the token system for divisions other than Graduates is still being looked at. As a first time participant in the F2 Division last weekend, seeing half the field in Matra MS7's was rather disappointing.

It is being looked at Tommie. F2 wil most prolly have way more diverse grids next season. Smiley

Driving for Antipasti Racing

Tom van Ostade

"anything can happen, and it usually does"

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2014, 12:24:28 PM +0100 »

Great stuff! I also hope to graphically update all the cars before the end of the year so they look better Smiley . But it would be nice if someone would then actually drive it! Otherwise I'll only update the Matra MS7  Tongue .

I'd just like that add that, with more different cars on the grid, the grid will spread out a bit more. At Silverstone we had a full grid and except me and one or two others, everyone was within 2 seconds of the pole time! Very competitive, but a bit harsh on those who are just having fun but are not as fast, can't keep up and have nobody to race against (like me Smiley ).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:28:38 PM +0100 by Tom van Ostade » Logged

BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2014, 01:00:56 PM +0100 »

It is likely that the 50% rule will stay in place. It has certainly promoted more careful driving in the Amateur 65s and people do need to adjust to drive for a finish. A second season should reveal whether drivers are willing to adjust. We will, however, also look at the penalty system in conjunction as it makes no sense for somebody to benefit from punting people off.

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
Walter Conn
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2014, 01:13:50 PM +0100 »

A compromise could be reached with this sort of rule. For example, the rule could say that you have to complete the first two laps to earn points. I think the pros already have enough incentive to race clean since they do not have a shift-R option.  Undecided

Sunday Driver
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2014, 02:27:42 PM +0100 »

I am not a friend of the 50% as it makes no difference to people not showing in the race and someone taken out innocent!
Look at e.g. Clives position in pros... Shocked
I don't think it makes experienced drivers changing their driving style, or uneperienced to do a mistake.
IMO we allready lost some drivers by this rule Angry

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2014, 07:02:49 PM +0100 »

A compromise could be reached with this sort of rule. For example, the rule could say that you have to complete the first two laps to earn points. I think the pros already have enough incentive to race clean since they do not have a shift-R option.  Undecided

Nice idea BUT the reason that we have 50% is that this is set up in the scoring system so this is automatically calculated on import - the choice is 50% or nothing.

As for the rule itself.

I believe it has been beneficial for the less experienced drivers and it should make no difference to the Pros as a crash is terminal for them anyway. The loss of points is still an issue but would you really want to win the championship by managing to be the only one to make it though Parabolica after a mass crash, limp to the start line and retire on lap 2 but get fifty points? Surely those points are not equal to ones earned by nursing a sick car round?

Remember that "Hard cases make bad law"!

I will stick up a vote though and see how strong the feeling really is.

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
DLogan

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2014, 07:32:57 PM +0100 »

...would you really want to win the championship by managing to be the only one to make it though Parabolica after a mass crash...

How would you like to lose (or win) a championship by being taken out (or your competition being taken out) by someone limping an uncontrollable car around on 3 wheels (or less) for half the race after a T1 incident?

Plus, it negates penalties. If no points are scored, loss of a position (or two or three) is meaningless (as has happened several times this season).
garethhall
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2014, 02:13:01 AM +0100 »

This 50% thing changes nothing.
Get in ya car, drive as fast as you can to the flag and try not to crash.

here is one for you with too much time on your hands; would any champion from any series from any season been different if the 50% rule were applied?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com