How to do a fast pit stop with GTR2 ;)

(1/1)

Manteos:
"Every promise is debt" ;) So I decided to translate my suggestions for a fast pit with GTR2.

PREPARATORY PHASE:
1) Download the xd mini motec from here: http://www.vitumo.de/files/XD/XD.zip. Unzip the file "d3d9.dll" into your main folder.
2) In the GTR2  "controls" menu you have to assign 3 keys for:
- Pit Limiter ("driving")
- Pit-in request ("accessories")
- Ignition ("extra").  It's not necessary to set the "starter" key! With the "ignition" you can Start/Stop your engine without pressing any other key.
IMPORTANT: IF YOU SET THE IGNITION KEY YOU WILL ALWAYS NEED TO START/STOP YOUR ENGINE MANUALLY DURING THE PIT! If you NOT assign any key for ignition, GTR2 will Switch on/off your engine automatically, but you will waste 4/5 seconds during the pit with the automatic ignition instead of using the manual ignition!

BEFORE THE START:
3) Be sure to put the fuel for your first stint in your garage menu, and if you have previously calculated the pit fuel strategy, you can set even this into your garage before joining the track. (try to be as fast as you can to join the track if you're thinking about NOT to change tyres during the race)
IMPORTANT: Remember that if you set for example: Stop 1= 80 litres, it means that the pit crew will refuel your car up to 80 litres! It's not an addition to the fuel you have into your tank!

4) Once on the grid, you can start to use your xd minimotec (to activate it press the "\" button on your keyboard). The xd has 2 different menus: pressing "\" once, you will see the tyre wear/temperatures, and the oil temp menu. Pressing again "\", you will see the Pit menu, that is what you need now!
XD Pit menu is pretty similar to the pit list that appears when you make the "regular" pit stop (and it works in the same way with the keyboard arrows).
If you plan not to change the tyres during the race, be fast to set the option "no change" in front and rear tyres (with the left/right arrows you can choose even the other tyre compuonds).
You can change your strategy by this menu even during the race, but do it only on the straight  ;D

Now you're ready to start!

PIT-IN LAP:
5) During the lap in which you want to do the pit, REMEMBER to call the pit crew using the "Pit-in request" button!!! If you use the heads up display, you will see the "PIT" blue light switched on as a confirmation of your pit request (if you have the pit crew volume activated, you should listen this confirmation even by the radio). It's important to check it, cause sometimes happens that your pit-crew don't understand your request. In that case if you go in the pit lane you won't find your mechanics ready to work, and it's a terrible waste of time waiting their arrive! In the worse case you can even find your place occupied by another driver!

6) In almost all the tracks, you don't need to activate the pit limiter, cause it will be activated automatically by the game after you pass the white line of the pit lane (in some circuit there's only the traffic light at the pit lane entrance)! However I strongly recommend to check every time if it works, in particular with the add-on tracks! Obviously you need to check even the pit lane max speed, and pass the line UNDER the limit to avoid a Stop & go.
In case the automatic activation doesn't work, you will need to activate the pit limiter manually.

7) Approaching your pit crew, you can switch off your engine slightly before you stop the car, so you can save a couple of seconds, but it needs a bit of practice to avoid to stop the car too soon (waste of time to switch on the engine again), or too late (you must do another lap to do your pit stop)!
If you want to avoid this risk, it's better if you leave the AI do it for you automatically without assigning the "ignition" key

8 ) Once you have stopped properly, the pit list appears, and if you don't need to change your initial strategy (setted on the xd before the start), you have only to switch off the engine and press "Enter" as soon as possible.
Your engine will be switched off automatically if you didn't assign a key for the ignition, but there's a dead time of 2/3 seconds!!!
IMPORTANT: Do NOT switch on the engine before the refuel has finished! In this case your attendant will stop to refuel the car, and you will need to switch off the engine again to restart the refueling!

9) After the complete refueling, if you are going to change tyres, you can switch on the engine manually before the pit crew has finished to change the tyres. This will let you save another couple of seconds.
In the case you don't change the tyres, you must wait the complete refuel before restarting the engine!
Without assigning the ignition key the engine will be restarted automatically only when the pit crew has finished to change the tyres... so you will waste further 2/3 seconds.
IMPORTANT: tyres change "costs" 10 seconds per axle. So if you're going to change 4 tyres, you will lose approximately 20 seconds.

10) You don't need to activate your pit limiter when leaving the pit. It will be activated automatically, and switched off automatically after the pit exit line... if the add-on track isn't bugged... so remember to check it before the race!

11) Remember that with the xd motec you can even choose to NOT repair the damage of your car. I suggest it in the case you're going to pit in the last part of the race. It's not useful to repair the suspentions if there are only few laps to go and if your car is still "drivable", cause you will lose 90 seconds. Every single change you do in the xd pit menu will be reflected in the pit list, so don't waste time if you are sure to have setted all the things properly... just press enter as fast as you can!

This procedure needs a bit of training I know, but after some attempts, you will see that it's really an easy work and it will become an automatism.
Said that, I hope to have been clear on my explanation, and if someone of you would like to correct my mistakes to make it easier to understand, I would be happy :)

If you have any question, I will try to be more clear.

Hoping this guide will be useful for someone, I greet you :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index