Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
April 18, 2024, 11:21:27 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
Forthcoming
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: End of Season Review  (Read 2729 times)
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2015, 10:34:17 PM +0100 »

Gentlemen,
Here's your chance to share what you love about GPL & moan & complain about what you don't. Season 28 is just about over & the mod team are working on next seasons offering.

With the current range of F1 &  tin tops, half the battle is fitting everything in. Expect the original 67 cars on Sundays & 65's on Tuesdays. We also have 66's, 69X, F2, Sports Cars & Can Ams to accomodate. Let us know what you want.

As far as we know 60 frames per second was rolled out as standard for UKGPL in Season 28 & seems everyone can use it.

For several seasons we have also imposed compulsory moderation for red zone starts. Whether this has led to safer starts is debatable. An option is to reduce to reported incidents only so we'll run a poll to see what the democratic view is.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 03:28:10 PM +0100 by Cookie » Logged

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
Ronnie Nilsson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 08:55:38 AM +0100 »

I guess I can only speak for myself, as a newcomer (returning), so I may well have a different view from experienced hands.  Obviously, I loved the couple of races I entered, especially the 69X cars, so I would really like there to be some more 69X action on Sundays – I love the way you can attack corners with them, rather than feeling like you’re skating on ice.  I like the original tracks, but also other authentic tracks raced at around that period, e.g., St Jovite, Brands, Clermont, Montjuic, Imola, Zeltweg, Buenos Aires 15, Dijon-Prenois, etc.
Samb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 08:37:42 PM +0100 »

Personally, I feel season 28 was very well done. No major gripes from my end.

As I only raced in the Works and 69X this season I will comment on those. The Works, well what can be changed? It's the tried & tested formula and I am in favour of the 50% rule and tokens. I was never a huge fan of pitstops prior to the tokens so please leave them as they are  Smiley. There was a good mix between the simple tracks and the behemoths. Ideally that should be kept in my view.

The 69X championship was a blast. Admittedly the quicker cars and shorter braking distances did result in more collisions (particularly on the first lap it seems) but it would be a shame to ditch them after only one season. The one chassis per race worked well but it did exclude slower cars. I do like Tim's idea of having a race or two where non-winged cars are compulsory. Any excuse to take the lovely Cooper for a spin  Grin.

As for the red-zone, if the mods are willing to carry on with this then great news, but I do understand it is time consuming so wouldn't force the issue. I don't feel it reduced the accident count in the 69 league but felt the feedback was a welcome addition for all racers involved.

See you all for season 29  Smiley.
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 09:22:04 PM +0100 »

The 69X championship was a blast. Admittedly the quicker cars and shorter braking distances did result in more collisions (particularly on the first lap it seems) but it would be a shame to ditch them after only one season. The one chassis per race worked well but it did exclude slower cars. I do like Tim's idea of having a race or two where non-winged cars are compulsory. Any excuse to take the lovely Cooper for a spin  Grin.

How about the rule to take at least one of the non winged cars in a race? (Not the Lotus 49 of course!)
So the decision is left to the drivers Wink

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
AnGex

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 08:12:05 PM +0100 »

All in all it was a good season in my opinion. Keep it that way and I will be satisfied once again! For me the 67 Originals and the 66 Historics are the best and on top of it all for sure the blasting 69x cars. Can not ask for more.

Get up, stand up: stand up for your right!
Get up, stand up: don't give up the fight!
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 10:30:01 PM +0100 »

I had no real problems with 60fps in any series I ran in.

My luck in 67s sucked this year, rarely making it past lap 1 due to my own mistakes and those of others. Lessons have been learnt, and it can only make me a better person.

69X for me was a struggle, mainly trying to control these things. Tuning and assistance definitely required, additionally the 1 car per event rule was difficult for me to track due to the few events I did actually participate in.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
Walter Conn
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 12:41:59 AM +0100 »

The championship page says, "No Stop n Go within 2 laps = DQ"
A driver that makes a late stop and go is penalized the same as a driver that did not do a stop and go at all.
Maybe a 30 second penalty for a late stop & go would better than a DQ.

Also, the rule on the championship page that says, "Incorrect Stop n Go = 30 seconds added." A driver makes a S&G but fails to bring the car to rest in the stalls. Perhaps this rule could be lessened to 5 seconds.
What do you all think?

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 12:57:23 AM +0100 by Walter Conn » Logged

Sunday Driver
Rainier
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 10:00:51 AM +0100 »

"Maybe a 30 second penalty for a late stop & go would better than a DQ."

With such a rule, the moderator will have to check ALL the laps from shift-R to the end of the race ...

Le silence éternel de ces espaces infinis m'effraie
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 11:17:06 AM +0100 »

Agreed with the general happiness over the last season - 69x was a blast but also a crashfest. I don't think this was necessarily down to drivers or rules, rather just the nature of driving stuff which forces you to react so much faster than any other class requires drivers to be much more aware of what's happening directly around them - something which would hopefully improve over time through experience..

As for the SnG DQ suggestions I would argue you can make it the offending drivers responsibility to give the lap number/time when they performed there stop and go in order for it to be verified to make things slightly fairer without over-burdening the mods. I would argue for a clause allowing for the mod to make the check in the event of the driver being Disco'd and therefore not having a saved replay to refer to though (Although the server replay is always available too)

Apart from New Spa I've not had any issues with the 60FPS mod (Someone mentioned something about the sounds at the start being largely responsible for this - anyone know how I remove them to test this?) and actually prefer it hugely over running at 36, it seems to allow for much closer battles with reduced risk of lag-impacts too which is a big plus.

Theoretically I have a lot more time again now so if more mods are needed I wouldn't object to helping out again too, although I don't know if I'd be around much in between races and modding  Smiley
Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 01:11:02 PM +0100 »

Another entertaining season provided by UKGPL. The key element that keeps me coming back these days is the racing. Drivers typically have a mutual respect on track for others which you just don't see elsewhere and this makes for some great season long battling up and down the field.

Excellent choice of tracks in my opinion. For example Beal was a fantastic selection (despite my short lived race).
The 69x series was a blast and I hope it continues.
60fps worked like a treat and was the right call.

But, in my opinion, the season has confirmed a few areas of concern such as handicapping/moderation and the use of H-shifters/ridiculous shift times.

With 3/10, 7/10 and 9/10 races not moderated still for the 69x, Historic and Pro series respectively, to deny the current process must change or be scrapped, seems like people burying their heads in the sand. For a handicapping system to work moderation, if continued, must be completed the same week of the race to allow drivers time to practice in the handicapped car/s.

Likewise the exploitation of H-shifters/ridiculous shift times resulted in 6/10, 6/9, 10/10 races respectively for the Works, Pros and Historic series where the driver with the pole and/or FL used GPL shift. I note others are taking up the use of a H-shifter and learning how to exploit GPL shift so maybe this is the way forward for all. Its just not for me.

These are just my opinions and not an invitation for personal mud slinging. I remain happy to race with all comers and as always accept the rules and regs voted for by the majority and/or decreed by the UKGPL admin/mod team.

UKGPL remains my weapon of choice for online racing and I look forward first to the Joe Shaw Memorial Trophy and next season. Thanks again to all who keep this game going.

JonnyO

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 01:14:38 AM +0100 »

I manage two leagues, GplBrasil and Clandestines Trophy.

Today run only in PRO mode, impossible to use shiftr.....
it greatly improved the performance of all comrade, course in car racing are no accidents
but the really low index.

Another change was really good the starting grid with 20 meters between cars,
reduced to almost 0 the index of accidents in Turn 1.

I think if you do not like so PRO, is good shiftr reduce the number to 1 and not  stop and go.
 So it is easy moderator of work
Rainier
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 09:47:08 AM +0100 »

I made statistics about what cars were used during season 28 (mod 67 only) ...

Works : (total 140)
Brabham 37
BRM 27
Lotus 21
Ferrari 18
Cooper 17
Honda 10
Eagle 10

Privateers : (total 98)
Brabham 43
Honda 17 (thanks to Axel who used it 9 times)
Eagle 12
Cooper 10
Ferrari 8
BRM 5
Lotus 3

We can see how much the Brabham is avantaged by token system.
From my point of view, there is not a so big difference between Brabham and Ferrari, about performances.
It's possible to make the entire season only using Brabham...

I know it should not be easy to change the token system, but 11 or 12 tokens for Brabham and 13/14 for Ferrari looks better for me.

Le silence éternel de ces espaces infinis m'effraie
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 01:04:39 PM +0100 »

Thanks for those statistics about car usage David. It much confirms my thoughts about the Brabham.

I would agree that a "tweak" to the token value is needed for the 67 Brabham, it is most definitely not a slow car and should be much closer in cost to the Ferrari, Certainly, it should not be possible to run the Brabham in every race! If I recall correctly the Brabham actually won the 67 GP title in 1967, maybe because it was more reliable than the Lotus, but it was obviously a match for the rest of the cars? 

The 69x's certainly attracted some large grids, because we had everyone running together, and limiting the choice of cars for the fast guys certainly kept things entertaining for all. Maybe a slightly more restrictive choice for the Pros next season will allow the others to close the gap and contest the championship?

We cannot hope to race all of the various mods in a season if we want a 10 race series, so I guess the Friday slot will have to offer whatever does not get onto the season list?

On the shifter debate.
As far as I can remember back into the grey mists of time, there has always been a knowledge in GPL that using a shifter offered a slightly faster "shift time". To my knowledge there has never been ( until now) any real concern or attempt to legislate for this within UKGPL. That is not to say that there should not be some ruling to equalise things, I am just undecided on this issue as regards policing it.
I actually see things from a different perspective and wonder if this perceived advantage is now important because the level of competition within UKGPL is so high? There are about 4-5 drivers at the top of the leader boards, who are so close to being aliens that I wonder if they are beginning to develop scaly skin, webbed feet and can breathe pure sulphur dioxide!! Many races now have lap times very close to WR pace and it is usually NOT a single driver, but 2-3 cars that are battling for the win. At that level I guess each 1/10th of second becomes more important, hence this debate.
From a personal point of view, I am not the least concerned if someone can change gear 0.3 secs faster than me, as I believe ( maybe rather optimistically!) that I can regain that by choosing a better time/place to make my gearchange and minimise the any advantage? It just adds to the challenge of GPL.

One thing I think we might need to look at is the number of active members and new/returning recruits. 
There is a critical threshold for any sim, regarding dwindling grids. Once the grid numbers start to drop on a regular basis people find it less attractive to participate, so they withdraw too. Once that downward spiral gains momentum it is 99% certain that it ends the sim.
Take a look at PnG which wast OK 12 months ago with regular grids of 10-15 cars. Then numbers dwindled as a few went off to try other sims, a few lost interest because their closest competitors were no longer on the grid, and regular grids dropped into single figures. Then the loss of 2 or 3 cars is hugely significant! It only took the release of RaceRoom beta to attract another couple and it was all over. PnG is shelved and I think unlikely to re appear.
The best we can do is to keep UKGPL as attractive and competitive as possible, to many people of ALL abilities. There are still people out there discovering GPL for the first time, plus those who are amazed to find that it is still going 5 years after they dropped out. I guess what I am proposing is that we need to offer the very fastest drivers a challenge in UKGPL, come to UKGPL and test yourself against the best. Whilst at the same time offering those who are new or returning a level of racing that is attractive and fun, where they can improve their skills without being intimidated and disheartened by alien pace and ability.

Sunday morning ramblings over, off to lunch!  Wink

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Walter Conn
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 01:46:11 PM +0100 »

To Clive's point, I have seen other leagues evaporate because of overly aggressive driving behavior. The UKGPL has a good thing going in that we all encourage drivers to respect their fellow competitors. 

Sunday Driver
Gismo

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 08:28:32 PM +0100 »

I'll just throw in a thank you for letting me compete in the works series, it's been great fun and has exceeded all my expectations when I dusted off my GPL and tried it again for the first time in many years, I won't weigh in on the brabham-token-thing, but just say that I think it's a great system with the tokens overall and I'm already looking forward to the next season ;-)

Peter Antonsen

"You don't need a parachute to go skydiving.. You need a parachute to go skydiving twice.."
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com