The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 26, 2024, 04:28:44 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • A2 Silverstone: November 09, 2016
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: UKAC Season 2 - Cayman GT4's at Silverstone - Nov 9  (Read 4573 times)
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2016, 03:21:30 PM +0000 »

Cayman GT4's at Silverstone

Password entry (on day of race)
Practise: 19:30 (30 mins)
Qual: 20:15 (15 mins)
Race: 20:30 17-TBC Laps (approx 35mins)

Cars allowed:
Porsche Cayman GT4

Track:  Silverstone GP (Modern)

Live Timing: stracker.simracing.org.uk:50041/lapstat

Time of Day Setting: 13:00
Weather: Mid-clear
Start: Standing
Tyre wear: Normal
Fuel consumption: Normal
Pit-stops: None

Server track settings:
SESSION_START=100
RANDOMNESS=0
LAP_GAIN=0
SESSION_TRANSFER=N/a

Damage: 60%

Password: see above
(2) Driver lists can be found on the championship standings page

« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 03:31:41 PM +0000 by Mark J » Logged

Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 04:43:24 PM +0000 »

Gotta work that evening  :'(
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 08:01:29 PM +0000 »

Nice car once you account for the hard tyres. Soften front springs and increase rear ARB made it pretty nice. Assume running ride height low is good, but no idea on level of rake.

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
Maikel K.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 06:51:53 PM +0000 »

Shame I can't make it aswell, got some birthday to go to  Angry
Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 07:54:59 AM +0000 »

Yeah that's a shame. I will try to attend the race though.

Only had a quick go to try this layout. Somehow i always get confused which way this track goes.  Smiley
Did try some tire pressure changes. Looks like there is no real benefit from lowering the tire pressures. With a few PSI more it gets more twitchy and coldish, but you can keep it on higher pressure, which i assume it needs as you do not want too much rolling resistance?

School is important, but race cars are importanter
garyjpaterson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 11:34:22 AM +0000 »

I was actually looking to miss a couple races, just to have a Wednesday or two free, but seeing as a few of the quick guys will be absent... I might as well attend and try and keep number up  laugh

I'm ashamed to admit, I haven't actually tried the GT4 yet  Shocked Its the only one out of the PP that I haven't given a go. Though I know Silverstone well, its pretty much my go to track, so at least I don't have that to learn.

Anyway, it should be a fun race, bit more manageable than last week I'm guessing, both the track and car being much more forgiving. Nice to have ABS again after the GT2s (which were actually not bad once I got used to them), and of course that RSR was a handful under braking for me!

Assume running ride height low is good, but no idea on level of rake.

Haven't driven it, but had a quick look at there is no rear difuser so its one less thing to worry about. The front downforce will peak at 2-5 degrees, and is 0 degrees static, so lowering it and raising the rear should give some more angle. It will also be most efficient at 45mm, but anything lower it'll will stall.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 12:03:04 PM +0000 by garyjpaterson » Logged

Ford Transit Mod (Including GT3 version): http://bit.ly/fordtransitmod
Ford Anglia Mod: http://bit.ly/fordangliamod
Automotive Design Portfolio: http://bit.ly/garypaterson
3770K | GTX970 | 16GB DDR3 | Corsair RM750 | G27 + H-Shifter
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 12:15:25 PM +0000 »

Interesting stuff Gary. I was surprised t read only recently that the ride heights in the garage menu were not actual ground clearance heights and you need to use the aero app to see if your grounding out. The Garage menu for this car showed it sitting only 1mm above min height at the front so easy to assume you couldn't go much lower. Older Porsches like a bit of rake but not sure how much these modern skate boards benefit from it.  Undecided

Think I can get into 2:15's with a few more laps. 1 extra click on rear arb works wonders on this car.

Ps 33psi is supposed to be optimum for the gt4 Cayman
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 12:20:33 PM +0000 by Mark J » Logged

garyjpaterson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 12:26:57 PM +0000 »

Interesting stuff Gary. I was surprised t read only recently that the ride heights in the garage menu were not actual ground clearance heights and you need to use the aero app to see if your grounding out. The Garage menu for this car showed it sitting only 1mm above min height at the front so easy to assume you couldn't go much lower. Older Porsches like a bit of rake but not sure how much these modern skate boards benefit from it.  Undecided

Think I can get into 2:15's with a few more laps. 1 extra click on rear arb works wonders on this car.

Ps 33psi is supposed to be optimum for the gt4 Cayman

Yeah its a bit strange, the 'Ride Height' value in the garage can be a bit arbitrary, and is always directly on the centre line of each axle. The each wing has its own height which is separate, and is important in terms of its efficiency relative to the ground, but then the actual collision box is often different still, and that's the one that determines if you're actually grounding or not  laugh

Also, from what I heard, 30psi is ideal for this car, front and back Wink

Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 12:58:16 PM +0000 »

Oke, thanks for sharing this info. I have the lay-out memorized (sort of) and will have a base line for the setup now. I won't have time for any more practice other then qually. Cheesy  The car feels nice and racy, so should give some nice racing. Looking forward to it.

nfsw55

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 01:07:58 PM +0000 »

Finally a free Wednesday for me this week, great timing for running my favourite PP1 car on Silverstone Wink Looking forward to the race.
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 01:46:52 PM +0000 »

Finally a free Wednesday for me this week, great timing for running my favourite PP1 car on Silverstone Wink Looking forward to the race.

I bet you are based on your stracker time  Grin

Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 04:12:34 PM +0000 »

To Gary, 30 psi must be too low surely? The rear tyres on a normal gt4 Cayman are 295/30 on 20'' rims. My own Cayman R has 265 profile rears on 19'' rims and that runs at 30 psi on track (about 24 cold to allow them to expand to 30-32)   Undecided. So I think my earlier figure of 33 psi is about right.

garyjpaterson

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 05:49:39 PM +0000 »

To Gary, 30 psi must be too low surely? The rear tyres on a normal gt4 Cayman are 295/30 on 20'' rims. My own Cayman R has 265 profile rears on 19'' rims and that runs at 30 psi on track (about 24 cold to allow them to expand to 30-32)   Undecided. So I think my earlier figure of 33 psi is about right.

Whilst you may very well be right in reality, 30 is the ideal pressure for this car on these tyres in AC Smiley

Also you have a Cayman R? Very jealous indeed  Cheesy That engine must be a joy!

spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 08:25:19 PM +0000 »

Didnt notice any great rise in the pressures when i ran. will check next time, isnt the setup default 26psi? bit different?

Why they still cant sort out the setup options tie up with the live car suspension display i dont know! tyre data never displays correctly either.

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 12:46:51 PM +0000 »

http://www.porsche.com/germany/sportandevents/motorsport/customerracing/racingcars/cayman-gt4-clubsport/

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com