by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
March 29, 2024, 05:15:09 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • L17BOSS Watkins Glen: June 05, 2017
June 05, 2017, 08:41:51 PM +0100 - Watkins Glen (GP 1975-81) - UKGTL Season 17 Mustang Boss 302 Challenge
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Ziu Bacubacu
  OLD SCHOOL RACING TEAM
Shelby Boss 302 (#70) GTC-TC-76 1 1:59.384
101.818mph
1 40:45.504
99.410mph
20 2:01.399
100.128mph
Goodyear  
Geoffers
 Kerb Crawlers
Shelby Boss 302 (#16) GTC-TC-76 2 +1.376
100.657mph
2 +1.489
99.350mph
20 2:01.079
100.392mph
Goodyear  
Erling G-P
 TEAM-GTLDK
Shelby Boss 302 (#99) GTC-TC-76 4 +2.374
99.832mph
3 +33.281
98.075mph
20 2:02.823
98.967mph
Goodyear  
phspok
 Team Pseudo Racing
Shelby Boss 302 (#83) GTC-TC-76 5 +3.216
99.147mph
4 +56.025
97.184mph
20 2:02.828
98.963mph
Goodyear  
EvilClive
 Blue Moose Racing
Shelby Boss 302 (#302) GTC-TC-76 3 +1.638
100.440mph
5 +1:05.245
96.827mph
20 2:02.170
99.496mph
Goodyear  
Bob M.
  OLD SCHOOL RACING TEAM
Shelby Boss 302 (#100) GTC-TC-76 8 +4.983
97.738mph
6 +1:06.625
96.774mph
20 2:04.023
98.009mph
Goodyear  
55steve55
 TEAM-GTLDK
Shelby Boss 302 (#33) GTC-TC-76 6 +3.778
98.694mph
7 +1:09.652
96.657mph
20 2:02.892
98.911mph
Goodyear  
Wiltshire Tony
 Toyland Racing
Shelby Boss 302 (#70) GTC-TC-76 10 +6.924
96.236mph
8 +1:55.884
94.913mph
20 2:05.082
97.179mph
Goodyear  
SpecialKS
 TEAM-GTLDK
Shelby Boss 302 (#33) GTC-TC-76 9 +6.678
96.424mph
9 +1L
93.991mph
19 2:05.019
97.228mph
Goodyear  
BillThomas
 Kerb Crawlers
Shelby Boss 302 (#83) GTC-TC-76 11 +12.836
91.933mph
10 +1:38.363
90.373mph
19 2:11.439
92.479mph
Goodyear  
misnoimis

Shelby Boss 302 (#83) GTC-TC-76 7 +4.209
98.350mph
11 +5L 15 2:05.273
97.031mph
suspension
Goodyear  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGTL Season 17 Mustang Boss 302 Challenge - Watkins Glen - Jun 5  (Read 5570 times)
Ziu Bacubacu
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 03:48:04 PM +0100 »

Appetiser https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4oo_u6iLow

My best on race fuel is a 2:05.8. I'm guessing some  alien will go sub 2:00?

You think that those aliens go sub 2:00 ? I hope no  Roll Eyes
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 09:59:14 PM +0100 »

Results and replay now posted

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

misnoimis

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 10:20:23 PM +0100 »

What a mess. I was nearly into the 2m 02’s in off- line practice.

I fluffed the start, I was hoping to chase Steve but Bill and Tony passed me off the line so I decided to take it steady and got involved following Tony and Bill for few laps. I had a recovering Clive behind me and as I started losing ground battling with him decided to let him past as he was faster. I closed on Tony and Bill again only to find Clive behind me again. It got a bit rough and there was the odd bump with Tony I think and there was some close racing between us. In the meantime Bill was getting away. I was keeping myself handy for any chance to pass when Clive and Tony seemed to get a bit mixed up on the second last corner and I shunted Clive. I will have to look at the replay to see what I did. To make things worse my car was now pulling hard to the left and almost undriveable so I had a slow lap back to the pits.

Then things all went a bit downhill. It took forever to replace my suspension (virtually) and as my brain obviously wasn’t in gear and I failed to cancell any options I ended up with a full tank of petrol and a wash and valet. I hadn’t tried driving the car on full fuel, it felt very strange, like it still had handling problems and was about 3 seconds a lap slower.

As I had been lapped while in the pits and was considering retiring when I saw the leaders in my mirrors that made up my mind. I let them past but before I could make the pits some Armco collided with my car writing off my newly replaced suspension, some evening. Roll Eyes

Grats to winner and podiums and all.  clap
Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 10:46:07 PM +0100 »

Uneventful, but still very intense race. 

No matter how hard I tried - and that included knocking 0.4 sec off my pb, I still couldn't get any higher than 4th on the grid.

Used to getting mugged off the line by Clive, so surprised to see him not move at all.  Thus gifted 3rd, with Matt close behind.  His pursuit was relentless over most of the race, so couldn't afford any mistakes. Took a fair few laps of very concentrated driving to stretch the gap a little.  As soon as I eased off even the slightest, to conserve tyres, it would drop, so had to hitch up the skirts and get cracking again.  Up front, the leaders quickly disappeared, as I was nowhere near their pace.

Didn't know how far back Clive had fallen, so fully expected him to come storming back at any moment. Only very late in the race, when the gap had jumped to around 20 secs, could I relax a little.

Grats to Ziu & Geoffers, and commiserations to those who met with misfortune.

Frustrating to see the Championship slip through my fingers, but obviously nothing I can do about it (perhaps a little sabotage of certain cars in the following races.. Wink )

Misnoimis: Unless you specifically added fuel, you shouldn't leave the pits with more than you entered with.  Maybe the repairs didn't fully fix the car ?

Cheers,
Erling

Ziu Bacubacu
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 07:55:01 AM +0100 »

It worked enough well all yesterday. I had two setup available one fast and the second was good for save tires but slow 1 second.
When i seen the qualy lap of Geoffers i understood that his race pace could be around at 2:01 so i decided to use slow setup, it mean that i prefered to have geoffers on my ribs than drive a car without tires after 8 laps only. But the truth was that my real pace could be sub 2:01. Practice with race fuel 2:00.0. It s truth also that here is very difficult overtake due to the inclination of some turns so i prefered see Geoffers on my mirror all 20 laps. He tried to pass me of course we had a funny battle until at 7 laps to go he got a little mistake and it open a little gap of 2,7 seconds. What that  was curious see Geoffers that sometime was fighting with the rear of his car outputing of last corner and in the last laps i noticed that he had probably problem with his tyres on the ESSES.

Grats to Geoffers and thanks for fun, Grats to Erling
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 09:20:34 AM +0100 »

Grats to Ziu and Geoffers for stunning pace, no matter how hard I tried ( probably trying too hard I guess!!?) I could not get within 1.5 secs of those times during qually and I doubted that the race would be any better.  Undecided
The only hope I had was that my qually was on race fuel, so there might be an outside chance of being a little closer during the race.

I never got the chance to find out!  I must have been half asleep on the grid, because not only had I forgotten to check the % health of the car ( I actually discovered after the first lap that I was on 40%!!) but the "GO!!" caught me so completely by surprise that I dropped the clutch and stalled the engine  censored. Initially I wondered if I had actually blown the engine ??

I braced myself for rear impact as cars swept past and then it all went quiet and I tried the starter. Mightily relieved as it burst into life, but spitting nails about going from 3rd to last before I even crossed the start line. I think I would have been justified in putting my headlights on just to see through the thick red mist that swirled around my car.
I hauled in the field and set about picking off cars one by one. I had to change my gearchange points once I noticed the engine health and how my aggressive driving was eating a couple of points off it each lap. It took a few laps to settle into the new pattern and still maintain a fast pace.

Tony proved to be very reluctant to let me pass and we had a few laps of side by side action with misnomis getting involved as well. If the red mist was thick before it became positively opaque after I got past Tony and made a monumental braking mistake one lap later, just as I had got Bob in my sights and a chance of 5th place, and span the car into the kitty litter, only to watch Tony and misnomis sail past  cursing cursing cursing

Another chase, some more dicing and made the pass again setting off after Bob who now had a 12 sec lead. Just got him in sight again and made the same mistake in the same place!!  Just got going as Tony arrived AGAIN.
The last 6 laps were tense as I hauled in Bob and finally got on his tail with about 1.5 laps to go. Like a true gentleman he made a small mistake  ;)and I was able to steal the lead up through the Esses.
No chance of gaining any more places, so concentrated on not making another mistake on badly worn tyres to get to the flag. The change in driving made a huge change to the health of my car and at the end I still had 25% of the 40% I started with, so a lesson to be remembered there.

My screw up at the start might have denied me some points, but it made for a much more eventful and interesting...honest it did  Roll Eyes

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
55steve55

Waltzinblack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 09:48:29 AM +0100 »

A very exciting race for me on a great choice of track for these 302s'.

As my quali time was near identical to my pb, I was reasonably pleased with starting on the 3rd row.

In my previous 2 races I've been drifting from the raceline by watching the cars in front of me instead of the track so last night promised myself I would not be distracted again. Yet Clive's leftfield-style getaway (attention-seeking again, Clive?  Wink) quickly took my focus away and I found myself battling to keep the car straight.

Settled in behind Tony for the first of two fantastic tussles, had a Torvil and Dean moment at some point with a 360, ran wide twice and ended the race just a couple of seconds behind Clive and Bob for 7th.

Grats to Ziu and Erling and Geoffers for a close second.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:04:35 PM +0100 by 55steve55 » Logged
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 10:54:58 AM +0100 »

Good fun that  Grin
I was directly behind Clive at the start, and instinctively jinked right to avoid. I saw someone lose it behind
but I was fairly sure I had not hit anyone so kept going, was keeping Erling honest for many laps until
I outbraked myself somewhere, then did it again a couple of times to give Bob and Clive chance to catch up  Roll Eyes
Erling was long gone by then, so just kept it steady to the end.

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2017, 12:00:43 PM +0100 »

Because I am old, and probably slightly senile, myself and a friend from GPL ( Andy Livingston ) are travelling up from the West Country to visit the Oulton Park and Croft circuits this coming weekend.

If any of you fellow sim racers are likely to be at these events and would care to meet up for a pint/coffee/chat then post here and we can arrange a rendezvous.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2017, 12:07:16 PM +0100 »

I was racing at Croft earlier in the year, and am at Barbon Manor hillclimb this Saturday.

http://www.barbonhillclimb.co.uk/

What is happening at Oulton? If I have a day pass I might get there.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:18:26 PM +0100 by phspok » Logged

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
misnoimis

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2017, 12:52:03 PM +0100 »

Misnoimis: Unless you specifically added fuel, you shouldn't leave the pits with more than you entered with.  Maybe the repairs didn't fully fix the car ?

Cheers,
Erling

I think you are right. I started with 24 lap’s worth of fuel and after my stop saw my gauge showing nearly full so assumed I had been refilled. I just hit the return key. I should have deselected the Body repair and change tyres options. I guess having not envisaged making a stop I was not prepared. The car really felt different after the stop, the back seemed to want to overtake the front under acceleration.  Maybe it was just me. I got bored not even being able to put in fast laps by my standard and lost interest. I think my pace should have been about mid 2m 03s to high 2m 04s once I had found my rhythm.

The cause of my problem was my impact with Clive’s car. I watched the replay and see I had taken my usual line into the turn where I hit Clive. It looked like he and Tony were for some reason unusually slow on that corner and I was unable to slow down, until I used Clive’s car for help that is. Not the approved way of slowing.  Fortunately it was me who suffered from the result and Clive was able to carry on.  I was enjoying the racing up to that point. Anyway I hope to be back for more pleasure or punishment next Monday.
Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2017, 02:24:49 PM +0100 »

I think you are right. I started with 24 lap’s worth of fuel and after my stop saw my gauge showing nearly full so assumed I had been refilled. I just hit the return key. I should have deselected the Body repair and change tyres options. I guess having not envisaged making a stop I was not prepared. The car really felt different after the stop, the back seemed to want to overtake the front under acceleration.  Maybe it was just me. I got bored not even being able to put in fast laps by my standard and lost interest. I think my pace should have been about mid 2m 03s to high 2m 04s once I had found my rhythm.

It sounds suspiciously like the Boss 302 suffers from the same repair bug as the Turbo Capris.  When I tried to repair one of those, it was damn near undriveable afterwards - all rear grip had vanished, so needed extreme care not to spin under acceleration.

Cheers,
Erling
Geoffers

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2017, 04:27:03 PM +0100 »

Enjoyed that race, not had a battle like that with Ziu for some time.

Could not get near Ziu's qually time although I'm sure a high 1.59 was possible. Spun the wheels a little too much at the start & Ziu outdragged me to T1. Due to his qually pace I expected Ziu to disappear into the distance but I kept up quite easily for most of the race. There were parts of the track where Ziu was quicker & bits where I was faster & although I got alongside on a few occasions I didn't want to force a pass & risk taking us both off, so just sat behind & waited for a mistake. Eventually Ziu ran a little deep into T1 & I got a nice tight line which I'm sure would have got me in front, but I gave it a bit too much gas with too much steering lock still on & nearly span out. By the time I got it sorted Ziu was over 2s up the road & I could not close the gap over the remaining laps.

Great drive under pressure Ziu, I expect you had a bit in reserve & would have repassed me had I got ahead but it was a good race.  thumbup2

Congrats also to Erling & all finishers & bad luck to Clive, you may well have had the pace to stay with Ziu & I.  clap clap clap
Ziu Bacubacu
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2017, 04:43:02 PM +0100 »

Enjoyed that race, not had a battle like that with Ziu for some time.

Could not get near Ziu's qually time although I'm sure a high 1.59 was possible. Spun the wheels a little too much at the start & Ziu outdragged me to T1. Due to his qually pace I expected Ziu to disappear into the distance but I kept up quite easily for most of the race. There were parts of the track where Ziu was quicker & bits where I was faster & although I got alongside on a few occasions I didn't want to force a pass & risk taking us both off, so just sat behind & waited for a mistake. Eventually Ziu ran a little deep into T1 & I got a nice tight line which I'm sure would have got me in front, but I gave it a bit too much gas with too much steering lock still on & nearly span out. By the time I got it sorted Ziu was over 2s up the road & I could not close the gap over the remaining laps.

Great drive under pressure Ziu, I expect you had a bit in reserve & would have repassed me had I got ahead but it was a good race.  thumbup2

Congrats also to Erling & all finishers & bad luck to Clive, you may well have had the pace to stay with Ziu & I.  clap clap clap

It has been my choice not to go under 2:01 because the risk to go on red zone of XD was big, anyway i m sure that you could get 1:59 on qualy lap, anyway now we can say that the race pace could be more fast, maybe would been more funny !
Bob M.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2017, 07:00:10 PM +0100 »

Not much for me to report on this race.  Had a good start and followed Matt for a while but he steadily pulled away from me.  Just raced the track for awhile.  Then Clive passed me after his trouble at the start but saw a cloud of dust and their he was again, passed him and he was some distance back but reeled me in with a couple to go. Tried to hold him off but tires were gone and he was faster anyway, so after a minor off followed him to the finish.  Another lap or so and Steve would have got me also as he was faster than myself...One of my favorite track so was still good fun.  Grats to the podium!!!
 Bob M.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com