Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 08:39:55 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: END OF SEASON REVIEW  (Read 7036 times)
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2016, 11:24:11 PM +0000 »

Despite the title of the post, this is more about next year but all comments looking back or forward are welcome.

As we wind down Season 30, thoughts are turning to next season. The 31st could be very special indeed as 2017 will mark the 50th anniversary of the original 1967 cars & indications are the 1955 Formula 1 mod will be released around Christmas !!!

This thread is an open invitation for the membership to share their views on what you like, what you don’t like or how the UKGPL community can be improved.

Over the past few seasons we have run a very busy schedule of races on Tuesday, Friday & Sunday. To run the programme requires a lot of work by the moderating team & is dependent the availability of private servers which are currently provided by Cookie & Jethro. Both are willing to provide servers for next season but do need to reduce their workload. The proposal is therefore to reduce the calendar to two race nights - Tuesday & Sunday. (Also noting that attendance for Friday races has been dwindling).

The main challenge becomes which car sets / championships do we run? We will shortly be setting up some polls but some options suggested by the mod team are;

1967 Anniversary season – keep to the existing format of a 10 race championship with 1967 cars on alternate Sundays. We would keep the tokens system & probably run the actual tracks from the 67 championship.
Or, perhaps closer the to real thing where drivers of the day turned out in a variety of different cars run the 67 F1 cars, 67 F2 cars & 67 sports cars? F1 cars might be once a month with second Sunday’s alternating between F2 & tin-tops.

The new ’55 mod is expected to be popular & likely deserving the other two weekly slot on Sunday.

What to do on Tuesdays – do you prefer a conventional season in one chassis or a series of races where we rotate all mods; 1965, 1966,  1967F2, 1969X & the various Can Am & sports cars?

We will take a vote on single mod series or mixed mods. There will be a second poll asking for your favourite & second favourite mods to get an idea of preferences.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
Philippe Girard

Long live to GPL and rock n' roll

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 04:36:58 PM +0000 »

The format of the races is good, as well as the system of the tokens.

The mod 66 has a lot of success, and so I propose to create a championship on 16 races, which would require us to use all cars ...

Tuesday: mod 66 all year round 2017
Tuesday: alternately, on 10 races, mod 65, and at the end of the championship mod 65, we move to mod 55.

Sunday: mod 67, obviously + another mod

I spoke with dave rainier and I'm ok to help the administrators. View with Dave for details

Long live rock and roll !
Samb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 10:05:51 PM +0000 »

First of all I'd like to say a big thanks to all the mods for making season 30 possible. I'd echo Bill's thoughts about running on Tuesdays and Sundays only. From my personal perspective running on Fridays was tricky and perhaps it was for several others which might explain the relative lack of attendance.

Although I'm not against a longer season, personally I'd prefer it to remain at 10 races. But, given the '55 mod could be released around Christmas I'd like to propose the following:

With so many mods to drive these days it's difficult to choose which ones to race if we only race Tuesdays and Sundays in our traditional format. Maybe we could prolong each season by running three/four series on consecutive Sundays and Tuesdays, instead of the usual two. That way we could run potentially increase the amount of carsets used and it's a tactic that's employed by our fellows at SRou.

I'm more of a fan of single car-set championships than mixed series. I like the idea of have a 67 championship similar to the 66s this season as I feel that was a big success. Though to get variety this does depend on whether we decide to extend the season or not with this method. I wouldn't lose any sleep if the decision is taken to use a multi-car championship  Smiley.

Also, although I don't really have much knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes, if UKGPL wishes for any additional help with moderating, I'd be happy to help out next season  Smiley.
bagrupp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 01:06:25 PM +0000 »

For my great season, don't change much.

55er Mod of course let's try when it's ready.
Tom van Ostade

"anything can happen, and it usually does"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 03:15:49 PM +0000 »

Thank you for another season of racing! I couldn't participate that much but hope to be on track more this coming season.

My vote for mods goes to:

65, 66 on tuesday

67, F2 on sunday.

Perhaps we could try out some new things in the offseason. We haven't tried the 1967 Historical mod carsets yet, for instance. Also, could we try out some new tracks? I did a little number crunching, and out of all the S30 championships;

78 - the number of occasions a race was organised at a track I've already raced at previously

2 - the number of occasions a race was organised at a track I have not raced at previously

These tracks are:

Dragon's nest
Brno '65

It gets a little boring sometimes running the same track again and again and again, when we have a choice out of almost 600 (!) tracks Sad . There must be hidden gems there that we are missing out on. Perhaps we could run some tracks backwards just for the fun of it Smiley .

Tommie.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 03:18:41 PM +0000 by Tom van Ostade » Logged

Philippe Girard

Long live to GPL and rock n' roll

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 07:03:57 PM +0000 »

65, 66 on tuesday
67, F2 on sunday.

It gets a little boring sometimes running the same track again and again and again, when we have a choice out of almost 600 (!) tracks Sad

+ 1  punk

Long live rock and roll !
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 10:01:03 AM +0000 »

Without my moderator's hat on, I would agree with Tommie and Phillipe.
 I would like to see more different circuits used, and quite possibly we should try and use all ( or at least most ) of the different car mods available. But that is just my personal preference.

However, there are a great many of our members who prefer to stick to cars and circuits that they know well. This may be because they do not have time to "learn" new tracks or simply find it too demanding to get up to pace on a new track every few weeks, especially if it is a new track and an unfamiliar carset.

We have in the past, tried to introduce fresh tracks for the Pros and Works, who seem more receptive to the idea of a fresh challenge. That worked fine until we tried to promote drivers from the Ams and Privateers, where they were more comfortable with familiar circuits.
The change from a majority of Papyrus original tracks, where they were competitive, to a some new circuits and stiffer competition sometimes proved too much of a step up and they either try it for a while and ask to go back, or sometimes drift away from UKGPL altogether.  So, for the mods, it is a balancing act trying to keep everyone happy.  Wink

Years ago when we had many more active members, we had the Masters series which was almost exclusively new tracks and free car choice for all. In those days we had quite a few of the alien drivers within our own ranks and the Master's series pulled in the top drivers from other leagues too who were looking for some seriously competitive racing. 
There were also the random Saturday afternoon pickup races, where a race would be put on the server and it was open to the first 19 drivers to log on. No points no championship, just a race for fun.  Back then we only had the original 67 carset, but there were a lot more people racing GPL!!! 

The moderating team will try and organise what the members want, but we need your feedback first. Please remember that we cannot please all of the people all of the time, no matter how hard we try.  Wink

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Gareth

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 12:53:09 PM +0000 »

No doubt we have a few festive fun races on the horizon, a perfect time to test a few of the tracks that have never been tested before.
Tom van Ostade

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 01:09:34 PM +0000 »

I'd be happy to have the majority of events on familiar ground, but one or two new venues couldn't hurt I think Smiley

Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 03:27:55 PM +0000 »

If you want some fun on guaranteed unknown ground, just join the race tomorrow...

INTERLAGOS 70'
with GTs

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Tom van Ostade

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 10:14:38 PM +0000 »

I can't Sad . But I helped betatest it so familiar ground for me haha! I must've done a hundred laps over the last few daya, without any freezes, so I hope the track will be problem free Smiley

bagrupp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 08:44:22 AM +0000 »

agreeto have non-standard tracks, but plz watch Blacklist, no one likes freezes and disco's:

http://forum.gplracer.eu/topic.php?id=50&
Ronnie Nilsson

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 01:39:28 PM +0000 »

For me personally, I like new tracks - if they're good racing tracks.  What I can't cope with is all the different classes: what do we have now - 65, 66, 67, 69X, F2, GT, Can Am.  I'm not very good at setups - actually, I'm utterly hopeless at them! - so I'm quite happy sticking to 67s and 69Xs, the two classes I feel I know best.  IMO, 69X physics is brilliant, and such a lot of fun.

IMO, we should consider handicapping the fastest drivers.  The first 69X season was beset with accidents simply because you had very fast drivers and slower drivers (like me) mixed together.  (As in the real world of F1, fast drivers were surprised on how early slower drivers were braking.)  I was sad when there was no 69X league this season.
Iestyn Davies

Variety comes in packs of 7 GPL cars! Drive 5/day!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 05:39:00 PM +0000 »

Haven't raced much this season, but fair enough on cutting down to just Tuesday/Sunday if numbers are low on Friday. What do the numbers say on attendance for each mod? Are there any clashes with other leagues on Tuesday, Friday or Sunday?

I would suggest the most popular carsets are put on the main '4' dates, then the other mods are used for the fun races in between the seasons (along with testing new tracks or server's choices). Also, if we want to avoid server crashes, then generally try to avoid older add-ons, which were made before it was widely known that gaps in the track lead to server crashes/CTDs (or race them with 36 fps).

There are many good newer add-ons and replacements (e.g. just released Interlagos '70) with more down the line (Ginetto: BA2 just released, Pedralbes for 55 mod, Le Mans Bugatti, Road America, Pescara, whatever Pablo is next working on, such as early Jacarepagua etc., the unloved Sudschleife beta, the remaining Tasman tracks someday and full IOM eventually).

I like the idea of the anniversary season for 67. It could be the full set (hopefully Ginetto Le Mans Bugatti would be released by then, if not then papy Rouen) of championship tracks, include the NC races, or even replicate the full calendar and last all of 2017. That could be 65/66, 67+/55 alternating, with the 67+ being 67, F2, GT over the full year or two seasons etc.

PS. What about rotating the 66 and 55 slot with two of 69x, can-am 66, F2 or 67x every season, or just 69x/F2 for numbers etc.

GPLrank = -75
Monster = -400

See ya online Smiley
GregT

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 06:17:38 PM +0000 »

I suspect the low attendance on Friday has something to do with the mods used. The GTs and Can Ams aren't that popular. After all it's called Grand Prix Legends not Prototype Legends. If we had run the F2s and 69Xs on Friday I bet there would have been more drivers, but then I would have been likely to miss races. I'll miss racing on Friday.

I like the cars that your right foot has a heavy influence on the handling of the car. My order of preference is 67F1, 67GT, 71CA, 69X, and 66CA. Unfortunately my favorites aren't the most popular except for the originals.

If there's anything I could do to help, let me know.

You know that some people are different
Now ain't that a crying shame
Now wouldn't it be a real drag if we were all the same

Savoy Brown
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com