Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 04:30:31 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Joe Shaw Trophy Weekend 2017  (Read 5612 times)
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2017, 03:40:54 PM +0000 »

Summer is coming ( oh yes it is!!) and so is the series of races in remembrance of Joe Shaw, where many will fight it out to get their hands ( and name) on the fantastic Trophy.

This all leads up to the now annual GPL drivers convention and where it might be held.  Grin Grin

Last year we met at Brands Hatch for the  "Legends of Brands Hatch Superprix, Brands Hatch, Kent (HSCC)" which was generally thought to be a success by those who attended.

So this year...............where do we want to go??

I have done a little research to find race meetings where we can watch cars from the 1960's actually racing.
Below is a list of possible options:-

Legends of Brands Hatch Superprix, Brands Hatch, Kent (HSCC).      July 1st-2nd

Silverstone Classic.                      28th-30th July

Oulton Park Gold Cup                   26th-28th August

Hostoric Grand Prix Zandvoort      1st-3rd September

Goodwood Revival, (but it is expensive and the tickets need to be purchased around NOW). September 8th-10th

Spa Six Hours, Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium     15th - 17th Sep

There may be more options, so if anyone has any more info please throw it into the discussion.

My gut feeling is that we should go to the circuit where the greatest number will attend?

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 05:36:20 PM +0000 »

Ignore my preference because (again) that is roughly when I'll be back in Japan at the secret Waza training facility receiving HER wisdom.
I love the idea of Zandvoort though, and the Spa 6 hours has been on my list for years!
Both of these should feature excellent beer  Grin
Robert Fleurke
Former UKGPL Moderators

GPL Forever!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 05:33:02 PM +0000 »

I wouldn't mind if it's Brands again, for several reasons.

Malcolm, Joe's father, would love to go to Zandvoort I know, and it arguably could attract more members from the mainland as well. But we must keep in mind UKGPL is British and a venue on British soil would be more rational since most members are residing as well in the UK.

Wherever it's being taken place, I'll try to be there. I will prolly send the Joe Shaw Memorial Trophy by mail to Malcolm when the 2017 JSMT event is held so I don't have to travel with it without having a car; then Malcolm can make a new nameplate for the new winner and present the Trophy as well Wink

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 05:40:59 PM +0000 by Robert Fleurke » Logged

Driving for Antipasti Racing

Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 06:43:29 PM +0000 »

Brands Hatch was great last year. Whilst Goodwood has its own special charm it is over priced. For no particular reason I'd like to try Silverstone or Oulton Park but happy with Brands. Like Rob I suspect we will get a better turn out in the UK.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
AndyL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 08:46:58 PM +0000 »

I thought that Brands was very good last year. It was very cheap and we could camp for free next time at the circuit. I really enjoyed how quiet it was there - so easy to watch and walk about and wander through the paddock. I'm afraid that the Silverstone Classic won't do those things and the track there is so far away from spectators. The Oulton Park Gold Cup is on a bank holiday weekend and so will be busy.
Brands may be the best place to attract UKGPLers that haven't come along yet, even though the cars on track may not be quite as exotic as on the other tracks. Anyone from London and the south east could come for the day and decide to do so at the last minute.
I'd be happy to come along to any of the UK tracks. Zandvoort may have a good claim as a destination though, especially if Robert wins the trophy again.
DLogan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 06:40:41 PM +0000 »

So, if I ever win this thing, y'all coming to Mosport or Tremblant?  Grin
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 08:50:25 PM +0000 »

Been there, done that!   .........................................................oops guys! we forgot to tell Dean ??!!  scared scared

Just who was it who was supposed to tell him?Huh

There is actually an outside chance of me getting to Toronto at some time. Now I am retired I should have time to visit my sister who has lived there for almost 45 yrs...about time I paid a visit?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:34:29 PM +0000 by EvilClive » Logged

Rank   Only when I sweat
Tom van Ostade

"anything can happen, and it usually does"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 04:29:51 PM +0000 »

If my bank accounts plays ball I'll be there! Zandvoort would be great, but I really enjoyed Brands Hatch last year as well. Not quite sure how far Oulton and Silverstone are from here, I'll have a look.

Tommie.

Robert Fleurke
Former UKGPL Moderators

GPL Forever!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 04:48:00 PM +0000 »

Good news Tommie, we might travel together again depending on the track of choice!?  Cool

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 02:16:20 PM +0100 »

I think that I need to make a call about this weekend simply so that people can start making plans.

So, I am proposing that we go to Brands Hatch again this year simply because it worked so well last year and it is such good value for money.

£29:00 for the whole three days!!

Legends of Brands Hatch Superprix, Brands Hatch, Kent (HSCC).      July 1st-2nd

http://www.brandshatch.co.uk/calendar/2017/july/hscc-01-02-july.aspx

Last year we stayed at a nearby campsite which was OK and had a bar etc. But we discovered during the weekend that we could pitch our tents at the circuit for free. The slight downside would be that we would have to rely on the bars/restuarants/toilets/showers etc around the pit complex.

If we intend to camp at the circuit I cannot foresee any problems as we do not need to do any urgent booking.

But, if we feel that staying at the local campsite is preferable, then it would be good to have some numbers of members attending to book sufficient tents places etc.  as soon as possible.

Can any members planning to attend please post here.
 I can ( almost) guarantee great weekend amongst fellow sim racers and it would be good to see some more faces, even if you come along for just a day out!!

Rank   Only when I sweat
AndyL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 04:49:56 PM +0100 »

Count me in.
I think that the on site camping is only for one night (Saturday) as it is a two day event this year and the gates open at 8am on Saturday. There doesn't seem to be a Friday night camping option. I think that the facilities at Brands are fine for staying there for one night and two days.
For those of us travelling a long way it would be sensible to stay overnight not too far away on the Friday night so that we can maximise watching the on track action on Saturday.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 05:08:15 PM +0100 »

I will check with the relevant authorities at Brands Hatch, but I suspect that Friday camping might be available as many of the competitors will be there from Thursday evening and many will be using the facilities.

Watch this space for details...................

Rank   Only when I sweat
Robert Fleurke
Former UKGPL Moderators

GPL Forever!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 06:26:13 PM +0100 »

Thanks Clive for taking up the gauntlet  Cool Don't forget your headache solving solution coffee!!  Wink

I'm planning to come, need to know what Tommie's plans are. If he doesn't go I might need to take a flight to Southend, London. Camping site or at track I don't mind...but I'm not going to try all the beers again either in combo of hot chili...  Tongue

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 07:56:36 PM +0100 »

I hope that you can make it Robert, and maybe Tommie too.  Wink

Perhaps a few more from mainland Europe might make the journey too???

Rank   Only when I sweat
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 08:03:59 PM +0100 »

Good call Clive. If you get further info on camping at the circuit let me know.
If anyone is travelling from Europe I might be able to do a pick up from Gatwick airport. Southend is a bit out of the way for me.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com