Quarterly cost: �0

March 28, 2024, 11:33:40 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S15D1 Silverstone: July 27, 2008
July 27, 2008, 09:54:45 PM +0100 - Silverstone (GP 1952-73) - UKGPL Season 15 (2008) Division 1
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Steven Foster
 The Coopermen
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 4 +2.503
117.993mph
1 51:34.950
115.800mph
34 1:29.620
117.619mph
Firestone  
Hristo Itchov

BRM P115 F1 1967 1 1:26.833
121.394mph
2 +0.366
115.786mph
34 1:27.681
120.220mph
Goodyear  
EvilClive

Honda RA300 F1 1967 5 +2.629
117.827mph
3 +14.963
115.243mph
34 1:29.253
118.103mph
Firestone  
Art
 Crash 'N' Burn Racing
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 8 +4.625
115.255mph
4 +43.944
114.179mph
34 1:28.614
118.955mph
Goodyear  
Will Tway

BRM P115 F1 1967 6 +2.736
117.686mph
5 +1L
115.244mph
33 1:29.141
118.251mph
Goodyear  
Brendan
 The Coopermen
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 2 +1.166
119.786mph
6 +15L
114.824mph
19 1:29.241
118.119mph
Disco
Firestone  
Kruger Enge
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 3 +1.246
119.677mph
7 +31L
114.902mph
3 1:30.193
116.872mph
Disco
Firestone  
Burtoner
 The Coopermen
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 7 +3.413
116.803mph
8 +33L
106.604mph
1 1:37.672
107.923mph
engine
Firestone  
1 UKGPL

Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 9 10 DNS ---
---
Goodyear  

Moderator's Report

Summary

A well deserved maiden win in the top flight for Steven Foster. Hristo secured second spot with a leisurely drive by his standards. Clive Gardner claimed the final podium place making him a strong contender for third place in the championship.

A very clean race with no incidents or pit stop discretions.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 15 Division 1 - Silverstone (GP 1952-73) - Jul 27  (Read 8475 times)
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:38:57 PM +0100 »

Division 1 - Round 9 - Silverstone

Round 9 of the Season 15 Div 1 championship is at Silverstone.  I'll be away on holiday so Steven Foster has kindly agreed to start the server.  Incident reports should be entered on the SRou system as normal following the link at the bottom of the results table when it appears.  Race details below.

Div 1 Season 15 Round 9 is this Sunday at 9:00 p.m. London UK time.
Please be in VROC UKGPL chatroom by 8:55 p.m.
VROC and Race passwords: see above

Server 1.ukgpl
IP address  194.105.176.22

Race date = 27-07-2008
Track = Silverstone
Variant = 67F1
Damage Model = PRO
Qually time = 30 minutes.
Race length = 50 minutes (34 laps)

Password: see above
Driver lists can be found on the championship standings page

Pit Stop Times
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
BRM
No Stop

N/A
Cooper
Stop and Go

N/A
Honda

N/A
Brabham

N/A
Ferrari

Eagle

Lotus

First Pit Window is: 27 (to go on your pit board) to 18 (to go on your pit board)
 Second Pit Window is: 25 (to go on your pit board) to 9 (to go on your pit board)
Kruger Enge
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 05:42:47 PM +0100 »

I wonder if Hristo will bother to show up; with maximum score, anything he scores in last two rounds will be dropped.

Well done Hristo and congratulations on winning Division 1 (again)

Kruger

iRacing alias: Nihad Gluscic
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 10:49:25 PM +0100 »

Thanks, Kruger. Smiley Congratulations to Steve for winning his last (for now) race as gpler, a fine drive and no mistakes on his side. I will miss seeing him around and on the track, but the memories remain. Perhaps when he realizes what a hype and nonsense iRacing has turned into, he'll be back!  laugh

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 08:48:58 AM +0100 »

Grats to Steve on his win and to Hristo for second ( although there was a whiff of race fixing in the air Wink given Hristos realaxed pace lol)

Commiserations to Will who drove an almost faultless race in the BRM to get himself up to 3rd, only to lose out when his fuel tank ran dry on the last lap.

I was chuffed, just to get to the end in a Waza mobile as just dont seem to be able to crack Silverstone in race mode and I can't work out where I am losing 2-3 secs?? Undecided

iRacing seems to be depleting our numbers even further with the loss of Brendan, who is also joining their ranks.

I have neither seen or experienced iRacing as yet, but it would need to be something quite exceptional for me to want to pay repeatedly just to race on a regular basis.

I must confess that I share Hristo's suspicions that once they have sucked in a large enough membership one might see the tarriff ease upwards to maximise the revenue being taken from the participants.

All the same, I wish Steve and Brendan all the best and hope that iRacing is as much fun as GPL was and still is.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Art

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 09:19:11 AM +0100 »

Well after 4 weeks without touching my wheel I thought what the hell and braved it in D1.  Smiley

It all felt rather strange and my qually time was poor. As for the race well I started last and for all of the race apart from the last lap (Thanks to Will's misfortune) I was still last. Seeing Will run out of fuel wasn't great but but it did move me 2nd to last. lol

Gratz to Steve on his win and to podium.

As for iRacing.....well it all looks good on paper (or internet) but paying for something on a monthly basis doesn't float my boat due to my work commitments. I have also noticed as I understand that after paying for initial subscription you also have to pay if you want additional content? Not sure if I like that but I guess some people will so I will be sticking to GPL until the time comes that I have plenty of free time on my hands or most of the friends I've made in GPL decide to move.  Smiley

I agree with Hristo and Clive and hope that this is just a 'NEW GAME' phase and it doesn't ruin GPL for good.

Crash 'n' Burn Racing

GPL Rank -20.810

UKGPL-Season 15
oAo - Season 9
Will Tway

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 01:39:59 PM +0100 »

Grats to Steven. I sure hope this was not your last race.  :'(

There is no doubt the dwindling numbers are caused by this new game which I admit is a blast to play. But like GPL, it has it's equal share of pros and cons. I'm with Art and Clive, I think most will come back to their first love....especially if the programmers can all agree to change/fix the 'crash-boxes' in the original game. That would greatly improve GPL on-line racing....I think anyway.

Silvy was good fun. Hated to run out of gas as Evil was just catching up and I was set to fight it out to the bitter end.  Cool

Tks to all who participated.

Good luck to all in whatever sim you choose.

Will
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:46:37 PM +0100 by Will Tway » Logged

bound to cover just a little more ground
Steven Foster
Former UKGPL Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 01:56:08 PM +0100 »

Thanks Gents, and to Hristo who seemed to be *cough* conserving his engine/chassis Wink, although I had thought that he'd had an incident with Brendan, and that his car was bent.....right up until the 5 second gap mysteriously disappeared in the last 2 laps Smiley.

My Skip Barber training seems to have helped - I managed a 1:28 in practice yesterday afternoon (a PB in the Coop), and could probably have pumped in a few more 1:29s in the race had not H been keeping his distance once I took the lead.

The last 3 and-a-half years of UKGPL have been great fun, and although the membership has continued to decline even since I joined in 2004, I consider myself lucky to have had an opportunity to race with you all. I've also learned a lot, although I've still more to do!

I'm not disappearing completely, just not driving GPL after this race, and not moderating after the end of this season. I'll still be lurking here, exchanging opinions with the folk involved with iRacing (and I'll be available for emergency moderation duty, server starts, that sort of thing - Phil, please note).

Cheers,

Steven
Kruger Enge
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 02:51:11 PM +0100 »

I was very disappointed to have destroyed the engine so soon but I got carried away.

Started third, very close to Brendan and we managed to pass the slow starting BRM of Hristo. I had a nice time with Brendan, passed him, and he passed back, and passed him again and then I lost him when he spun at Stowe I think...

I then noticed H was working his way up the field and I wanted to up the pace at this critical stage. Sadly, forgot how fragile Masserati can be so it started billowing smoke. Contemplated trolling around but didn't feel like it so I retired. Pity, it was my last race with Brendan and Steven (I'm on hols next round), whom I expect to be back, only slower Tongue

I didn't try the iRacing and I don't intend to. I found everything I love in GPL. If GPL numbers dwindle to the point I have no one to race against, I will quit instead of switching to another sim. I just have a feeling that it has compelling graphics and that its much easier to control and its a new thing and we boys like new toys but get bored with them and want to move on to something else.

GPL survived GTR, GTR2, rFactor, Race07 and what not so I'm expecting [hoping] it will survive this too. iRacing involves money and doesn't give opportunity to get any money so I can't see that as a good thing.

I wish all of you iRacing recruits the best of luck and I had an immense pleasure and honor to have raced with you and got to know you through GPL (that's why I like GPL and hate iRacing)

Big grats to Steven for a D1 win Smiley

Steven Foster
Former UKGPL Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 03:59:26 PM +0100 »

I didn't try the iRacing and I don't intend to. I found everything I love in GPL. If GPL numbers dwindle to the point I have no one to race against, I will quit instead of switching to another sim. I just have a feeling that it has compelling graphics and that its much easier to control and its a new thing and we boys like new toys but get bored with them and want to move on to something else.

GPL survived GTR, GTR2, rFactor, Race07 and what not so I'm expecting [hoping] it will survive this too. iRacing involves money and doesn't give opportunity to get any money so I can't see that as a good thing.

I wish all of you iRacing recruits the best of luck and I had an immense pleasure and honor to have raced with you and got to know you through GPL (that's why I like GPL and hate iRacing)

Big grats to Steven for a D1 win Smiley

I don't think the graphics are that much of an advance....it's the *feel* of it Kruger....it's sublime. It really is a step forward in realism: the FFB is, frankly, astonishing. It's also not easy to drive the cars on the edge: once you are allowed to drive a Skip Barber RT2000, the thing comes alive, and I'm as far behind the aliens in iRacing as as am in GPL. It's possible that the Radical is as hard to drive as the Lotus, but I've not tried it yet. The matching system is also starting to put me into races with folk of similar ability, so the racing is superb, but lacks the atmosphere of a league. The iRacing devs plan to introduce leagues sooner rather than later, so we might see an ex-UKGPL league Grin.

The money thing is a pain, but worth it for me.

It was also a pleasure to race with you Kruger.....and thanks for the Grats: I never thought I'd finish on a win  Shocked
Brendan

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 04:32:13 PM +0100 »

Fantastic result Steve, I'm thoroughly chuffed on your victory, both as an individual and as a Cooperman, well done. Smiley

As for me, I'd had zero practice leading up to the race and was surprised to put in a 1:28 dead to snatch 2nd on the grid.  I had a good start and snuck past H into T1 to lead my first ever Division 1 race. Shocked

Kruger (as usual) wasn't going to make it easy for me though. We traded the lead over the next few laps until I spun at Stowe and dropped down to 5th or 6th.  Unfortunately, Kruger's engine let go and after a few pitstops I was back up to 2nd, suspiciously close to H who soon had a slight spin and I caught his front left and spun too.  I deduced that H either a) had a problem or b) was sandbagging, as I was able to keep pace with his BRM.  I had another off when I was following him closely toward the final turn and he braked slightly sooner than I expected.  I took evasive action down the inside and eventually got back on track only to throw it all away at Becketts where I put my battered and bruised Coop on it's rool bar, race over.

Big congrats to Steve and all finishers. Smiley

As for the future, well, I must admit I've been seduced by the lure of iRacing and to me, it seems like a huge leap forward in terms of what can be done in a race sim (now I know how the GPL pioneers felt in 1998).  The payment structure isn't an issue (yet!) and the overall quality of the product easily justifies the outlay, for me anyway.

I've had a huge amount of fun with GPL and more importantly UKGPL since joining in 2006.  I've had some great races, with some great characters and I'd like think I'll still be welcome on the forums and in future fun events.  Many of the people I have met through UKGPL are also friends on iRacing (Steve, Ken, Bully, Burt, Will....sorry if I've missed anyone) and iRacing seems to have a fairly tight knit community with a friendly and respectful attitude toward one another.  I do hope that any of you who do decide to give it a go will glean a similar amount of pleasure from it as I do, and maybe one day I'll see you on track.

After Oulton that is...................... Smiley

Kruger Enge
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 05:55:58 PM +0100 »

I've had some great races, with some great characters and I'd like think I'll still be welcome on the forums and in future fun events.
That doesn`t need to be said, it comes by default Smiley

Thanks for your vivid description. Hristo was quite critical of it last night but he didn`t comment on the feel of driving, just the lack of freedom re hitting a wall or having a crash.

One never knows, if there are league base systems, I might be tempted to give it a go...

Anyway, it`d be nice of you blokes to show up on some fun events, just so we can monitor your progress - backwards Tongue

Napo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 07:31:56 PM +0100 »

1st of all, Congrats to Steve on winning his final ukgpl race. Grin

Farewell to Steve and Brendan and anyone I missed who's leaving. It was great battling with you Brendan in Season 14. Smiley

Well when I decide to fix my pedals or buy a new wheel I'll be back racing with you guys for sure. It'll be no later than the winter of this year if not earlier. I won't be buying iRacing, it's just too expensive for me. On top of that, I have to race ovals 1st? what's with that?!??!? I have to wait till I get a higher "safety rating" or something like that. That's a load of crap tbh. I love hard racing and making impossible outbraking maneuvers. To me this is a game, however I've noticed a lot of the gpl community tries to make this feel real. I think iRacing appeals to those people so I think iRacing will deplete gpl's field a bit as well as other sims too. I'd probaly have the lowest safety rating within a week if I raced iRacing. laugh

If it ain't free It would be hard for me to consider it. but 100 bucks a year or something I won't even consider it. Having to race ovals 1st and silly safety rating's is a turn off. I'm sure a lot of people will welcome it. But I think that will cause a loss of fun factor for me. I'm sure other people will enjoy it. Games will always be games, it'll never be like the real thing as much as some people want it to be. If I want the real thing there's only one option and that isn't iRacing...that's real life racing aka motorsports.  Wink
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 07:44:55 PM +0100 by Napo » Logged
Steven Foster
Former UKGPL Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 11:20:14 PM +0100 »

Thanks Napo.

You don't have to race ovals - there are 2 licences in iRacing, one for ovals, and one for tracks. Not too surprisingly, I haven't touched the ovals Smiley, as I can turn right as well as left  Grin
Napo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 01:03:26 AM +0100 »

someone told me you had to get a higher safety rating to get the other licence, or is that for cars?

Thanks Napo.

You don't have to race ovals - there are 2 licences in iRacing, one for ovals, and one for tracks. Not too surprisingly, I haven't touched the ovals Smiley, as I can turn right as well as left  Grin
Steven Foster
Former UKGPL Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 07:19:24 AM +0100 »

It's for cars - you start in the wobbly Solstice (a bit like a Mazda MX5, but a lot worse as it's a Yank tank). Once you can prove you can keep it on the track and not bump into folk (that is, do 4-5 races without going off the course or hitting anyone/anything, which builds up your safety rating), you can drive the Skip Barber car - which is fantastic fun to drive, and a proper open-wheel racer. If you can keep your safety rating above 3 your licence will go up and you can drive faster and faster cars (the Formula Mazda and the Radical are the "top" cars) as your licence will go up at the end of every 12 week season.

I got into the Skippy within a week, so it doesn't take long.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com