Quarterly cost: �0

April 25, 2024, 02:50:12 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S16Dc Kyalami: December 07, 2008
December 07, 2008, 09:06:44 PM +0000 - Kyalami (1961-67) - UKGPL Season 16 (2008) Clubmans '67
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
b_1_rd
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 4 +0.467
110.654mph
1 33:53.063
108.121mph
24 1:22.859
110.538mph
Goodyear  
Burtoner
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 8 +1.567
109.203mph
3 +9.700
107.608mph
24 1:22.623
110.854mph
Firestone  
Geoff65

Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 5 +0.750
110.277mph
4 +13.522
107.407mph
24 1:23.117
110.195mph
Goodyear  
bernie
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 2 +0.179
111.041mph
5 (+3) +16.177
107.268mph
24 1:22.464
111.067mph
Firestone  
Michael Turner
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 7 +1.155
109.742mph
6 +38.728
106.100mph
24 1:22.957
110.407mph
Goodyear  
Ian Stanley
 Reed Racing
BRM P115 F1 1967 3 +0.293
110.887mph
7 +47.039
105.676mph
24 1:22.514
111.000mph
Goodyear  
Craig Thomas

Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 6 +1.001
109.945mph
8 +1L
102.679mph
23 1:23.394
109.829mph
Goodyear  
James Andrew

Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 9 +2.294
108.264mph
9 +2L
98.274mph
22 1:25.142
107.574mph
Goodyear  
Turkey Machine

Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 11 10 +19L
108.784mph
5 1:21.280
112.685mph
Disco
Goodyear  
RIKBRIANT
  Team Backwards Racing
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 1 1:22.305
111.282mph
11 DNS ---
---
Firestone  
5 UKGPL

Honda RA300 F1 1967 10 12 ---
---
Firestone  
Asbjeurn Tverberg

Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 12 Excluded +0L
108.070mph
24 1:21.823
111.938mph
Firestone  

Moderator's Report

Summary

A fine win for Steve Bird with Burt picking up second place on the podium after an incident packed race. Asbjeurn's disqualification also promotes Geoff Heard onto the podium for the first time in the Clubman's division. Well done!

Server replay time: 0h00m48s

Lap 1 - Start Line - Craig Thomas, Michael Tuner and Robert Burton

Michael gets a better start than Craig but as he shifts into second gear a little too much throttle induces some wheel spin. Michael veers across the track taking out Craig. Robert cannot avoid the carnage. Craig and Robert are entitled to no-fault shift Rs.

Clearly this incident was caused by Michael's over exuberance on the throttle with cold tyres. In general, lack of skill is not penalised in UKGPL, only lack of judgement. However start line incidents can have such a catastrophic affect on everyone's race, some degree of admonishment is appropriate in this case.

Advice: The power side ramp angle settings in the differential have a significant affect on the stability of the car under heavy acceleration. Before a race, experiment with the power side settings to ensure you have a stable car under heavy acceleration on cold tyres. If you do decide to compromise your settings to optimise your overall lap times, please ensure you know how much throttle to use at the start to ensure you do NOT snake off the line and risk collecting other cars.

Server replay time: 0h04m26s

Lap3 - Jukskei Sweep - James Andrew and Robert Burton

Robert is putting James under tremendous pressure but his Cooper doesn't have the legs to get past James' Brabham on the straight. In his efforts to keep Burt at bay, James runs wide in Barbeque Bend. He looses momentum and Burt manages to get along side on the approach to the Jukskei Sweep. James is in no mood to yield easily and fights for the corner. The cars enter the corner side by side and warp contact is made punting Burt off.

The car on the outside is always going to be at risk of warp in this situation. Both cars were entitle to fight for the position.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h07m54s

Lap 6 - Main Straight - Asbjeurn Tverberg and Bernie Darwin

Asbjeurn gets a run on Bernie and pulls out of his slipstream to pass. Unfortunately he gets a little too close and warp contact is made causing Bernie to spin out and Asbjeurn to veer off and through the pit wall unscathed.

Although the actual contact was warp assisted, Asbjeurn was far too close when he pulled out to overtake. Drivers must take account of possible warp contact in situations like this. However, of more significance is the absence of the pit wall on Asbjeurn's client. The rules are quite clear on this and although the presence of the pit wall cannot be checked for directly, cars driving unscathed through the pit wall can only mean one thing. Asbjeurn had genuinely forgotten to re-install the pit wall but he was aware of the consequences if he drove through it. No unfair advantage was intended, nevertheless honourable intentions are not a good enough reason the relax the rules and a disqualification must be enforced.

Server replay time: 0h08m08s

Lap 6 - Main Straight - Bernie Darwin and Ian Stanley

After his shunt with Asbjeurn, Bernie ends up on the grass verge facing the wrong way. He attempts a rejoin but ends up practically stationary on the racing line on the fastest part of the track. Unfortunately Ian is approaching on full chat and catastrophic contact is made.

Bernie should have made absolutely sure there were no cars approaching before he attempted a rejoin by driving onto the racing line. If this was not possible (i.e. no Pribluda to rely on) then he should have used the F10 chase view to help manoeuvre the car through a 3 point turn on the grass. There is a very large verge here.

Server replay time: 0h10m05s

Lap 7 - Crowthorne Corner - James Andrew and Michael Turner

James appears to outbrake himself rear-ending Michael. However on closer inspection Michael is travelling much slower than could reasonably be expected. His corner entry speed is 71mph compared with the 107mph achieved by the leading drivers (and James on one or two of his better laps). On this lap, James' entry speed was well within his ability to control.

No appreciable blame can be apportioned to either driver in this case.

• Racing incident

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 16 (2008) Clubmans \'67 - Kyalami - Dec 7  (Read 8783 times)
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2008, 11:31:58 PM +0000 »

Season 16  Clubman's Cup - Round 7 - Kyalami

Please be careful on the first lap gents, especially when cars are in your blind spots.  Have a read of the rules regarding racing etiquette and the associated  penalty guidelines.  The Recommended Driver Behaviour page has some great info on how to get the most out of racing on-line with GPL.

Make sure you are aware of the rules for Pit Stops and the penalty guidelines.

Ensure you have the pit wall in place.  The standard papy track has a pit wall but there are patches available that remove it.  The absence of a pit wall will not stop you joining the race but anybody seen miraculously driving through the pit wall on the server replay will be disqualified.

Please be in IGOR UKGPL chatroom by 8:25 p.m (UK London Time = GMT).

Note server change!
Server = 5.ukgpl
IP address = 90.200.75.121
Race date = 7-12-2008
Time 8:30 pm (UK London Time = GMT)
Track = Kyalami
Variant = 67F1
Damage Model = Intermediate
Qualifying time = 35 minutes. Don't start until 30 mins left on clock to allow everyone to join.
Race length = Long (24 laps)
Password: see above

CHASSIS RESTRICTIONS
These are based on the drivers position in the championship.  Any driver who chooses to take a chassis faster than their position in the championship dictates, must make a mandatory pit stop as defined below.

Group 1
Bernie
Rik Bryant

Group 2
Will Tway
Sam Blood

Group 3
Burtoner
Jack O'Ferrall

Group 4
Michael Turner
Paul Bird

Pit Stop Times
Group 1
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
Lotus

N/A
Eagle

N/A
Ferrari

N/A
Brabham

N/A

Group 2
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
Lotus

N/A
Eagle

N/A
Ferrari
Stop and Go

N/A

Group 3
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
Lotus
Stop and Go

N/A
Eagle
Stop and Go

N/A

Group 4
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
Lotus
Stop and Go

N/A

First Pit Window is: 19 (to go on your pit board) to 13 (to go on your pit board)
 Second Pit Window is: 17 (to go on your pit board) to 6 (to go on your pit board)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 07:43:02 PM +0000 by Jack O'Ferrall » Logged
Burtoner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 10:46:40 AM +0000 »

I would love to join this particular race, but i have to see if i can start work an hour earlier..

UKGPL Season 14 Club Champion
James Andrew

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 02:47:17 PM +0000 »

I have a question. Since I started online racing, first with the GBGPL and now with you guys, I've pretty much been getting away with not knowing what I'm doing because I'm rubbish. Rubbish but eager so I guess that gets me some brownie points. Anyway...

Every online race I take part in, I always show in the results as disco-ing. This happens even when I finish the race with no issues. So far (I guess because I'm rubbish) I've still been classified and given a few minor points for the place I did actually finish in. However, what is it that I'm doing wrong to get listed as "disco"?

I suspect that I'm disconnecting from the server too soon after the chequered flag, but I don't know the post-race procedure so can someone tell me?

My natural inclination has always been to do what happens in real life and do another full lap and pull into the pits. Should I then sit in the car until the server shuts down or should I quit to the menu but stay connected? Until when? What do I do?

Cheers.

James

Think you can predict the real F1 results?
http://tinyurl.com/f1preds
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 03:21:35 PM +0000 »

I have a question. Since I started online racing, first with the GBGPL and now with you guys, I've pretty much been getting away with not knowing what I'm doing because I'm rubbish. Rubbish but eager so I guess that gets me some brownie points. Anyway...

Every online race I take part in, I always show in the results as disco-ing. This happens even when I finish the race with no issues. So far (I guess because I'm rubbish) I've still been classified and given a few minor points for the place I did actually finish in. However, what is it that I'm doing wrong to get listed as "disco"?

I suspect that I'm disconnecting from the server too soon after the chequered flag, but I don't know the post-race procedure so can someone tell me?

My natural inclination has always been to do what happens in real life and do another full lap and pull into the pits. Should I then sit in the car until the server shuts down or should I quit to the menu but stay connected? Until when? What do I do?

Cheers.
That's a good method, but you should stay connected but in the race menu, ideally with chat enabled since post-race banter usually ensues. You should ideally wait until in the in-game chat it says "The server will leave the track in one minute", or everyone starts saying "bye" or "see you in Igor/VROC". This way you'll see the news headlines and be offered a chance to reconnect if the server stays up, or disconnect if it goes down.

On a separate note, it says "I'm a reserve driver." What's the procedure for us reserves, as I don't remember reading about it?

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
Jack O'Ferrall
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 03:32:11 PM +0000 »

There is no special post-race procedure, most drivers just quit to chat after the the flag.  If you pass the flag when it's being shown to the leader behind you before you've been lapped, then if you quit you would have disco'ed.  Otherwise I'm not sure, you may have to complete enough laps to be on the results- but you've been classified?

GPL is much more fun, and far easier, with a wheel- even a cheap one.  I'll make sure to look at the replay of the end of your race tonight, but my suggestion is to buy or borrow a wheel!

Reserve drivers are drivers who have joined a championship late, or don't expect to race most races.  If the starter might have a full grid, the reserve drivers are meant to wait until 30 mins of practice left to join. 
Jack O'Ferrall
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 07:43:34 PM +0000 »

This race will be on ukgpl5, I've changed the server details.
RIKBRIANT

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 09:09:30 PM +0000 »

Arse..
That went well.. managed pole.. but got a weird graphics glitch and appeared UNDER the track at the start..... Sad

As I couldnt see anything.. I discoed so as not to cause a start line shunt....

Weird I tells yah..
 Smiley

Ferrari's are for people who aren't brave enough to drive a DUTTON
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 09:33:10 PM +0000 »

Arse..
That went well.. managed pole.. but got a weird graphics glitch and appeared UNDER the track at the start..... Sad

As I couldnt see anything.. I discoed so as not to cause a start line shunt....

Weird I tells yah..
 Smiley

You think that's bad...... Cheesy

I started well, considering someone at the start basically wasn't moving. I took it easy on the first lap, watching the chaos unfold and narrowly avoiding a startline shunt. Overtook onto the main straight, then started working my way through the field. Ended up P1, held it for about a lap or so (can't remember exactly), then I lost a few packets and it caused chaos for me. Pulled off circuit, retired, so as not to cause trouble; massive slowdown on my part doesn't help others, so I've been told.

Not happy with Virgin, as they've been next to useless in the 2 hours or so before this race to get the problem sorted, even going so far as to blame the server, but what jars me off is I could have won that race rather convincingly. I had massive pace over the rest of the field, which makes me wonder whether this league is suited to me. I improved my PB by 6 tenths in pre-race testing...

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 10:03:20 PM +0000 »

Replay and standings here.

http://www.jamesonline.net/ukgpl/2008.12.07_Kyalami_Clubmans

Asbjeurn Tverberg

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 10:13:48 PM +0000 »

Joined veeery late, just to make sure I wasn't taking any of the full time drivers' place on the grid, and didn't have time to set a qual time. Started dead last, and avoided the start crash. Earned a lot of places there, but didn't watch neither the pribluda nor the pit board untill towards the end of the race, so I don't  know how many places I earned.

Anyway, I worked my way up the field from there, and after 5 or 6 laps I was going to pass Darwin on the front straight. Unfortunately I touched his rear right wheel, so he spun. Guess I'll get a penalty for that. Anyway I didn't feel good about it, so I waited for him to pass me again, wich made me lose 3 or 4 places. Passed him again a few laps later, and after a few more laps, I had regained the position I had before the shunt.

After that I had more of a handful catching Burtoner, but after a few mistakes by him, I managed to get in position to pass him on the front straight. Was a bit too eager, and tried before the kink, so we went two wide through there. I had to back off a little, so he got better speed around the corner and got ahead again. Took me two or three more laps to catch up again, but this time I was more patient, and managed to pass him braking for T1. I was on third.

Next was Geoff. He had a fight with Steve, which made them both slower, I guess. Anyway I didn't have much trouble catching them. I passed Geoff on the front straight, before T1. He spun out, and I wasn't sure if I'd touched him as well, but he acquitted me on the chat after the race.

Steve was too far ahead, though, so I wasn't able to catch him before the end of the race. One more lap, and I'm pretty sure I would have. Wink I guess that incident with Darwin cost me the victory.

Another thing, though: I didn't pit once. I'm not sure if I should or not, because I didn't find my name on the chassis restrictions list. Give me any penalty i should take for that. 2guns gun_bandana death hammer hang
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 10:18:04 PM +0000 by Asbjeurn Tverberg » Logged

"Gentlemen, start your computers!"
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 10:14:58 PM +0000 »

Well, it was fun and nice to have a win under my belt albeit a half strength field.

My first lap was poor, span up the rear too much at the start and nearly went into the side of IanS. The rest of the lap was mostly on the grass, but managed to miss anything solid and got into a better stride from lap 2 onwards.  With various incidents up ahead, ended up following Geoff for a number of laps until one of his pit crew leant over the pit wall with a yellow balloon instead of a pit board, that seemed to put him off for some reason. Wink

Anyway, Asbjeurn was charging hard behind and no doubt would have got me within 1 more lap.

Thanks to those that were there, sorry to see a few had tech problems as I'm sure that would have changed things a bit.

Cheers.

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
Samb
UKGPL Divisional Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 10:19:42 PM +0000 »

Apologies for not being able to make this race folks. My computer decided to become infected with a virus a few hours before the race and I've only just managed to get rid of the damn thing. Shame really, as it has made winning the Clubmans a long shot.
Asbjeurn Tverberg

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 10:23:47 PM +0000 »

Noticed a funny thing here. My fastest lap was exactly one second slower than my PB.  turned

"Gentlemen, start your computers!"
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 10:57:20 PM +0000 »

Asbjeurn, you won't incur a penalty for driving any car on this occasion as it's only the top 8 in the clubmans championship that are chassis restricted.

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
ginsters sponsored
Grey Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 11:32:08 PM +0000 »

Jiggered how I missed this. Sat there waiting for server to start, got distracted and you lot had started before I got there, very rude Smiley At least I've worked out the Fezza is the only 67 car i feel comfortable with. Onto the 69's now I spose.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com