Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 01:05:57 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21
  Print  
Author Topic: New Drivers  (Read 59818 times)
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2009, 03:04:07 AM +0100 »

Experienced drivers may wish to skip straight to the Online Racing section…

1) Getting Started

(a) Firstly get yourself the game disc, have a quick search on ebay OR try here.
(b) Download the installer from here
(c) Insert the game disc and run the installer. This will install GPL with various updates and add-ons. If you have problems there is a comprehensive installation guide here. Please note, GPL is an old game and consequently it is not recognised as a 3D game by modern operating systems. Consequently the graphics options have to be set manually. The installation guide explains how to do this. Nvidia graphics card users may find the Nvidia Profiler useful. The GPL Hints and Tips document contains a section describing how to set the Field of View (FOV).
(d) If you cannot source a game disc, the installation guide describes how to use the GPL 2004 Demo or the GPL 2020 demo to get started with GPL.
(e) In order to run any of the mods available for GPL, you will need to install GEM. A patch to correct the BAPOM covers download facility is here.
(f) Now might be a good time to install the additional mods that we frequently run here at UKGPL. Note: It is good practice to install the necessary tracks for the mod before trying to install the mod itself.
        (i) 1955 Grand Prix
        (ii) 1965 Formula 1
        (iii) 1966 Formula 1
        (iv) 1966 Can Am
        (v) 1967 Formula 2
        (vi) 1967 Sports Cars
        (vii) 1968 Formula 1
        (viii) 1969 Formula 1 (extra)
        (ix) 1971 Can Am
(g) There are several options that can be enabled through the GEM interface. Two are mandated for on-line racing:
        (i) 60fps
        (ii) Track Gap Freeze Fix
     These are not mandated but they are popular:
        (i) Force Feedback
        (ii) Head Movement
        (iii) No Letterbox
The options are made available in GEM by copying the relevant .XML file into the C:\GPLSecrets\GEM+\Options folder. For convenience the xml files associated with the above options are available in this download.

That’s all you need to get started. If you run into problems let us know so we can help, it’s also worth checking the main GPL help forum at GPL Alternative Forum.

The disc comes with 11 original tracks – beyond that there are hundreds more downloadable at the GPL Track Database.

There are also a myriad of things you can add such as track updates, a replay analyser and set-up assistant but one step at a time…

2) Getting out on track

Now you are all loaded and raring to go but before you hit the track consider the following;
i) Controller – it is really worth considering buying a wheel and pedals. There are lots of products available ranging in price – basically the more expensive the better but there are some good cheap wheels out there if you just want to get a feel for the driving. You can use the keyboard but you are likely to struggle…
ii) Driving View – we recommend using the cockpit view. You can use the overhead view but in the long run you could struggle, and it won’t be so easy to check your opponents behind you.
iii) Driver Aids – by all means use these to start with. Once you start getting up to speed, however, we strongly recommend you switch all driver aids OFF. In the long term it will hold you back against your online opponents.
iv) Which Mod? – you will want to go straight out in the original 67 beasts. Go for it but we do recommend, once tried, you start to learn your craft in the more forgiving 65's or 67 F2's and progress onto the 67's, 66's and 69's.
v) Which chassis? Try them all – you might find one that particularly suits you.

OK now you’ve considered the above it’s time to hit the track… But which track? Well a good starter would be Silverstone or Monza but you may have ambitions to conquer the Nurburgring immediately.
Now prepare to crash, for crash you will, and lots. If you race the AI you will wonder where they have all gone once the flag drops.
Fear not we have all been there. Be prepared for a lot of practice, then some more practice and finally a lot more practice. We can assure you what you get out of GPL will be worth it.
As to how long it will take for you to be ready to take on the drivers at UKGPL well that’s like asking how long is a piece of string – it depends on the time you can put in, a few weeks of dedicated practice might be feasible.
As a rule of thumb you should be able to get round a track MOST times with no driver aids. At this stage don’t worry too much about your track times.
A word of warning, ditch the default setups, there are lots of setups available on the internet for download (see links below).

Now it’s time to get yourself online…

3) Getting online

If you are brand new to GPL start by joining the practice servers/races in IGOR. Join our chatroom (#ukgpl) where you will quite often find other UKGPL drivers. Hop on to any of our servers (don’t worry you won’t end up in a league race, they are password protected). You should enter iGOR via GEM which applies the necessary patches before launching iGOR.
You will find us a helpful bunch so this is a great way to practice your newfound skills and get advice.
Once you can get round safely it is time to join us in our league races. At the sake of repetition don’t worry too much about your lap times at this stage. UKGPL welcomes new drivers and you will never be penalised for a lack of driving expertise.

On that fine note, before you do start, check our Rules and Regulations with an emphasis on Sporting Regulations and Etiquette. Don’t worry you don’t need to learn it all verbatim, it is common sense stuff really.

4) Online Racing

The first thing you will want to do is decide which divisions you will participate in. We cater for both new and more experienced drivers. You can find the current divisions together with details for current season on the UKGPL homepage.
Just vote on the appropriate registration thread in Announcements and you will be entered into that division and have access to the race passwords.

5) Teams

Once you are settled in you may wish to join one of the various existing teams or even start your own. Just contact one of the team members or you can self-service the set-up of your own team.

6) Forum Navigation

UKGPL operate through the SROU forum. There are three main sections; Announcements (division registration and the like) / Races / GPL (for anything else).
Entering via ukgpl.com will give you direct access to the latest race threads and additional utilities such as replay downloads.

7) Links / Resources

A google search will throw up lots of resources. A few worth looking at are;
GPL Alternative Forum – general GPL forum (replacement for the now defunct SRMZ)
GPL World – GPL guides and hints
GPL Track Database - track and set-up downloads
GPL Rank - keeps track of your laptimes
GPL Wiki - lots of useful information
GPL Links - lots of resources
GPL Hints and Tips - a guide to configuring GPL for on-line racing

So happy racing and we hope you enjoy being part of UKGPL. Feedback is always welcome, just PM one of the Moderators.
If you need help, advice or anything else to get started just post here and we’ll do our best to assist you.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 11:17:48 AM +0000 by Phil Thornton » Logged
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 08:55:05 AM +0100 »

Amazing guide, Tim, fantstic job!  Shocked

Ken Murray

Ducati 996 @ Cadwell Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 10:18:58 AM +0100 »

Excellent Tim, a very useful resource.
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 09:13:09 AM +0000 »

All the links in the "d" are broken dor me - can't reach any of it, mostly 404 error. Sad
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 05:12:44 PM +0000 »

I think that is largely due to RSC going down the tubes TT.

You can find most of it here
http://zefix.tv/gpl_ultimate_links 

but I can't find a link to the 65mod. 

Anyone have a clue where that may be hosted now?

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 05:33:35 PM +0000 »

I think that is largely due to RSC going down the tubes TT.

You can find most of it here
http://zefix.tv/gpl_ultimate_links 

but I can't find a link to the 65mod. 

Anyone have a clue where that may be hosted now?

Here

http://www.jamesonline.net/gpl/gplinstall.html

If it gets too many hits I will upload it to drop.io or somewhere similar and use their bandwidth.

Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 05:46:40 PM +0000 »

Well done that man.

What about the 65 slipstream patch?

Is that in there already or does it still need adding?

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 06:38:21 PM +0000 »

Ordered the game. I wonder how much time it will wonder around Europe - remember 10 years ago I bought a book and got it after 9 months... Roll Eyes
Will have more questions then. Smiley
Am doing some laps in 2004 demo. Came 6th so far in the 12 lap race in Lotus. Can you select any other car at all? 
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 10:25:46 PM +0000 »

I dont think the 67 demo lets you have any of the other cars.

The Lotus is considered the fastest car in the 67's but it is difficult to drive at 100% and is also one of the most fragile. You really have to watch the engine revs and avoid that red pointy thing on the rev counter, otherwise that bootiful Cosworth engine gets upset  Roll Eyes

When you eventually get the game disc, and are able to try the other chassis you willl find that although some of the other cars are not as nimble as the Lotus, they are easier to drive and you can expolit more of their potential than you can that of the Lotus and the result is faster more consistant lap times...at least that is the theory  Grin 
This will be the time that you enter the dark world of setups and try to find one that suits you, out of the thousands that are out there, or you might try developing your own.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 12:34:02 AM +0000 »

Well done that man.

What about the 65 slipstream patch?

Is that in there already or does it still need adding?

That is V2.01 which should include it. (I think).

Dan Minton

http://www.youtube.com/user/LarryLinton

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 11:34:43 AM +0000 »

Thanks for this ..game should come in the post this week.
karlisss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 03:02:06 PM +0100 »

some error happened, with my GPL so i reinstall all from my backup folder.
but now seems i have some strange VERY LOW engine sounds.
in app.ini i have
[ Engine ]
sampleRPM = 27300.000000
also tried 5200 and original 7200, but nothing.

maybe its because of some patch, i remmember in authum i installed some game patch, withch is not in my backupfolder... but cant remmember.
anyway i can join on ukgpl 67 server so far.
how to fix sound?

GPLrank67 +39.5
GPLrank65 +44.5
http://www.karlisvitols.com
Raoni Frizzo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 12:28:07 AM +0100 »

Well, I don't know if I'm posting on the right topic...

I'm new here. My name is Raoni Frizzo, brazilian, and I saw on SRMZ the announcement of the new oncoming season. I found it very interesting and, if possible, would like to join some of the trophies (maybe the Porsche Super Cup, the Historic Trophy and the Pro Trophy, I'm not able to race on sundays because of the GPL Brasil races).

Maybe someone here knows me from other online races or from SRMZ. I'm a keyboard driver, but I have some experience driving in other leagues, like GPL Brasil, Grand Prix Argentina and YAOL since 2007, and the World Cup in 2008.

I have to say that I'm really impressed seing a GPL league active since 1999, reuning so much drivers, even with a lot of new simulators being released. This makes GPL an immortal one laugh Congratulations for keeping GPL alive!

Cheers Wink

And sorry for my bad english... Tongue
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 12:45:30 AM +0100 »

Welcome to UKGPL Raoni.
To join us just vote in the Season 21 Registration threads for the divisions of your choice.
I hope you have fun racing with us.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 07:40:49 PM +0100 »

Hi!
My name is Simon Wattman and Im interested in doing some gpl racing  Smiley

I have raced some gpl before but that was quite long time ago now

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com