Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
April 24, 2024, 12:00:28 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a decent USB wheel  (Read 5678 times)
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 02:07:55 PM +0100 »

Received my SB Live card today and the wheel was recognized normally with the Creative Gameport (as opposed to Standard one)!  Grin

The only problem is the card is bigger and blocks the whole fan of my video card, so I should use a USB adapter or a USB wheel eventually, but this will do for now. Thanks everyone for the tips and see you in the races!

bernie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 06:41:33 PM +0100 »

Thanks everyone for the tips and see you in the races!

that's good news ?

Grin
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 06:46:55 PM +0100 »

Not for you I guess!  Grin

Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 12:25:26 AM +0100 »

A quick update on the Ferrari Thrustmaster.

Its a piece of junk - don't waste money on it.

The upshift became eratic after about 3 months. I wasn't happy about sending it back to to the internet seller I bought it from whilst they looked at it (anything up to 3 months) so I reassigned the steering wheel buttons to change gear. That let go tonight - after about a year.

I'm going back to to Logitech.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 01:12:35 AM +0100 »

There are extremely positive views on this Thrustmaster wheel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-T500-Force-Wheel-Feedback/dp/B004GNG2MW

It's bigger and more solid, and apparently feels a lot more real than any Logitech. The only downside is the rubber covering instead of leather, but that's something insignificant IMO.

Anyway, I'm quite happy with the Logitech DFP I got almost an year ago now.

BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 11:19:37 AM +0100 »

At £380 I would expect it to drive the race for me!

I had the Ferrari Thrustmaster and Billy is right, it is shite. The electronics inside are mega-cheap and the clamping system is a bit rubbish. My paddles stopped functioning after three monthas and although using the buttons on the wheel was OK the plastic thread for the retaining bolt just wore away to the point that I couldn't atually clamp the wheel to the desk. Much happier with the Logitech and just look how my driving has improved <ahem>

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
clouds

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 11:52:59 AM +0100 »

I bought 2 DFPs second handed on ebay years ago and in both I've lost the right Gear paddle (upshift) in 3 months or less, so I've been forced to reassign the up and down shift paddles to buttons that I use with thumbs.  Tongue Wink
I had a MS Sidewinder years before and I experienced lots of troubles to find the right drivers and finally all went good but I had to install the drivers on a previously FAT32 formatted partition of my HD (otherwise the drivers were not recognized from windows Xp and GPL and also the Sidewinder).
About the apparently functioning PCI-Sound card (and included Game-port) I've noticed sometimes installing a card to another PCI slot, makes the worst things get right instantly (maybe because some PCIs have exclusive use and have also problems with Interrupts mapping so certain cards works very well on a PCI port and they don't on another).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 10:08:31 AM +0100 by clouds » Logged

Sergio "Clouds" Lonzar

...Houston, we've had a problem here!

Jack Swigert, April 13rd, 1970. Apollo 13 on the way to the moon.
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 01:24:50 PM +0100 »

I bought 2 DFPs second handed on ebay years ago and in both I've lost the right Gear paddle (upshift) in 3 months or less, so I've been force to reassign up and down shift pads to buttons that I use with thumbs.  Tongue Wink
I had a MS Sidewinder years before and I experienced lots of troubles to find the right drivers and finally all went good but I had to install the drivers on a previously FAT32 formatted partition of my HD (otherwise the drivers were not recognized from windows Xp and GPL and also the Sidewinder).
About the apparently functioning PCI-Sound card (and included Game-port) I've noticed sometimes installing a card to another PCI socket it makes the worst things get right instantly (maybe because some PCIs have exclusive use and have also problems with Interrupts mapping so certain cards works very well on a PCI port and they don't on another).

Yeah, my DFP's left paddle is skipping a bit sometimes, so I change 2 gears instead of 1. Everything else is fine so far though, it feels solid. I've been using a MSFF gameport for years, with a PCI sound card, but no FF on XP because there are no drivers for that, only 98, and it just doesn't feel right in GPL, so I turned FF off. In other seems FF was fine. I would be surprised if any modern wheel, including G25/27, can last as long as the Microsoft wheel. Mine is still functioning and it's over 12 years old by now lol. Keeping it in a box though, it deserves a rest!

Podkrecony_Ziutek

All glory to the Hypnotoad!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 07:37:04 PM +0100 »

As for the skipping paddles in DFP it can be fixed quite easy Wink Here are the instructions how to do it(text is in Polish, but pictures say everything, plus you can allways use google translator Wink ): http://simracing.pl/forum/f197/naprawa-paddlesow-w-kierownicach-logitech-8139/

BTW: BadBlood, witch Ferrari wheel do you have? Because Thrustmaster makes few of them Wink

BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 08:44:59 PM +0100 »

Not sure as I binned it but it was cheap and nasty - 5-in-1 or something...

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
Podkrecony_Ziutek

All glory to the Hypnotoad!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 09:07:21 PM +0100 »

I see. At that price point, brand of the wheel isn't important, they all are as bad made as yours Thrustmaster Wink

IMO the minimum is DFGT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGVo9otfU4M
Thrustmaster also made similar quality wheel, but it has only 270 deg. of rotaton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lwfSUKnmqI that's why I would stick to Logitech Wink

Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 11:59:19 AM +0100 »

As for the skipping paddles in DFP it can be fixed quite easy Wink Here are the instructions how to do it(text is in Polish, but pictures say everything, plus you can allways use google translator Wink ): http://simracing.pl/forum/f197/naprawa-paddlesow-w-kierownicach-logitech-8139/

BTW: BadBlood, witch Ferrari wheel do you have? Because Thrustmaster makes few of them Wink

Awesome, thanks!

BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 01:02:25 AM +0100 »

Thanks Pod but I already treated myself to a Logitech G27 - the wife hasn't asked me how much it was luckily  Roll Eyes

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
Ron-C

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 09:37:45 AM +0100 »

I use one of these http://www.hyperstimulator.com/personal/gp.html  Grin with the 12 programmable buttons on the wheel, which doesn't have a lot of rotation, 180deg max in each direction, I use about 110-120deg tops. I also have the sequential shifter. I use 1 of the paddles on the wheel for the clutch. It has no FF. It's also very comfy, I've done many full gp's in GPL (2 hr race plus qualy) no problems. It's done very well in the almost 14years I've had it....
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2012, 12:25:18 PM +0100 »

I use one of these http://www.hyperstimulator.com/personal/gp.html  Grin with the 12 programmable buttons on the wheel, which doesn't have a lot of rotation, 180deg max in each direction, I use about 110-120deg tops. I also have the sequential shifter. I use 1 of the paddles on the wheel for the clutch. It has no FF. It's also very comfy, I've done many full gp's in GPL (2 hr race plus qualy) no problems. It's done very well in the almost 14years I've had it....

I remember seeing those back in the day, looks very solid. No FF is actually beneficial in GPL, allowing you to make quicker corrections, but tricky in other sims, especially with high downforce cars.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com