The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
May 02, 2024, 04:33:32 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Nobody watching the footy?!?  (Read 5324 times)
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2010, 05:06:22 PM +0100 »

shifty
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2010, 05:20:26 PM +0100 »

I now feel guilty for knocking Slovenia out, surely they'd have put up more of a fight.

Legends Racing simracing team
Kerr

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2010, 05:36:04 PM +0100 »

This is a tournament England will want to forget.

Not one player will leave with pass marks as they were all equally as bad( ok maybe Johnson and Barry worse than the rest) and the team play was very poor.

4 games and 4 bad perfomances.

Not sure how the manager will keep his job and the FA have just given him an extended contract too.
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2010, 06:00:47 PM +0100 »

This is a tournament England will want to forget.

Not one player will leave with pass marks as they were all equally as bad( ok maybe Johnson and Barry worse than the rest) and the team play was very poor.

4 games and 4 bad perfomances.

Not sure how the manager will keep his job and the FA have just given him an extended contract too.
Not sure on that, James was rather good. England's best player, in fact.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2010, 06:23:01 PM +0100 »

Not sure on that, James was rather good. England's best player, in fact.

Agreed - if Rob Green had been on we'd have lost 8 or 9 to 1.

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Kerr

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2010, 06:32:41 PM +0100 »

James was good enough today.

Thought he should have saved the 3rd though. He went down too early and the ball went through where he should have been.
Burtoner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2010, 06:33:30 PM +0100 »

I still think we had some good players like James and Johnson/Milner, but Rooney I have to admit was the worse...

Im pleased we didnt win, we didnt deserve it, and I knew I wasnt going to get too hyped up about it, because I knew this might happen..

AND our DEFENSE was DIABOLICAL!

Roll on 2nd week of Wimbledon. Go Murray! Smiley
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 06:39:30 PM +0100 by Burtoner » Logged

UKGPL Season 14 Club Champion
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2010, 07:17:54 PM +0100 »

Any time the commentators start going on about the quality of our squad and then they send Heskey on you know we're in trouble. laugh

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Kerr

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2010, 07:39:07 PM +0100 »

The quote I thought was way too much was made early on.

It was along the lines that if you compare the German team and the English team man for man, only one maybe two Germans would make the England team.

I'm not too sure what teams he has been watching, obviously not the same two as me.

Not sure how you can say Johnson had a good game Robert. He is way out his depth at this level and was one of the worst England players in the 4 games.

Listening to radio 5 wondering what happens to England now the "Golden generation" has probably passed with no success.

They were struggling to see where the team would come from in 4 years time.

Edit. Before a joker gets in, I do know the team will come from England.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 07:44:22 PM +0100 by Kerr » Logged
Paul968
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2010, 10:09:48 PM +0100 »

The quote I thought was way too much was made early on.

It was along the lines that if you compare the German team and the English team man for man, only one maybe two Germans would make the England team.

I think you missed the point of that comment Brian. The gist of it was that if you had to pick which Germans would make the England team before the game, only one or 2 would make it, but as a team we don't make it count. Personally I think that is questionable, but on paper we do have a better team and certainly didn't perform in this world cup. Having said that, 9 months ago much the same team was a completely different proposition. I think Beckenbauer is right (although it pains me to say it) - we were burned out, with many of our key players injured in the run up (Lennon, Rooney, Barry, Cole, Cole, Walcott) or out before it started (Rio). I also sympathise with the players a bit - we deserved to go out, but 4-1 flatters the Germans big time. Had we got the Lampard goal or snatched one early in the 2nd half when we were dominant then it would have been a very different game.
Kerr

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2010, 11:31:18 PM +0100 »

I fully understood what the point was and that is what baffled me.

What have these English players ever done to justify their elevated status? Look at the player and not the team they play.

Your team went to the world cup and could not decide who should play where. Hardly the backbone of a world class team full of world class players.

I said before the world cup England had 3 players. Gerrard, Rooney and Terry. The rest are just average and some poor in my opinion.

The 3 above all had really bad tournaments and nobody else could step up.

Listening to radio 5 tonight it was refreshing to hear as they were good enough to admit England were outclassed and had no excuses.

No English team other than Fulham went that far in Europe. So the excuse of a longer, harder season was instantly dismissed.

Lets not forget some of that German team are tried and trusted at the highest level including a World cup golden boot winner.

My opinion today was Germany should have had the game killed early on today they were that far more effective.

Other than long range shots I can only remember Lampard from Milners cross getting behind the Germans and a good save later on from Gerrard.

Germany could walk past the English defence at will and every commentator I've listened to today admit 4-1 is a fair result and it could have been a lot worse.

Sadly I will always be dismissed as a bitter Scotman but really in my honest opinion that England team is not anything special at all.

Goalkeeper I don't have to mention. One as bad as the other.

Terry. Good, just not at the world cup

A Cole, I've never liked that plonker.

Carragher/Upson. Has been/will never be

Johnson, worst player ever to pull on an England shirt?

Gerrard. Brilliant player but was so far off this world cup. Did not help with tactics but even his general play was dreadful.

Lampard. Great premier league player. Never done it for me at International level.

Wright-Philips/Lennon. Sometimes look effective if they don't trip over their own feet which happens a lot.

Milner has never done anything that I've seen.

Barry. Just an average player if you ignore the price tag.

J Cole. A bit part player. If he was as good as people think why has he always been overlooked?

Rooney. Great player but he needs to be playing in a winning side or he falls apart.

Defoe. Great start to this season. Other than that, what else?

Crouch. I liked his robot dance.

Heskey. Why was he even there?

That's not a world cup winning team IMO
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 11:39:51 PM +0100 by Kerr » Logged
Paul968
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2010, 11:40:09 PM +0100 »

Sorry, I agree with some of the things you say, but yes, you do sound like a bitter Scot  Tongue
Jure
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2010, 11:58:42 PM +0100 »

Argentina then, a?

Christian Szell: Oh, don't worry. I'm not going into that cavity. That nerve's already dying. A live, freshly-cut nerve is infinitely more sensitive. So I'll just drill into a healthy tooth until I reach the pulp. That is unless, of course, you can tell me that it's safe.
Kerr

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2010, 11:59:33 PM +0100 »

I think I'm fair in my opinions Paul.

I'm not bitter in the slightest, especially since Germany won today Grin

Paul968
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2010, 12:08:11 AM +0100 »

Ashley Cole is no good because he's a plonker?

James Milner has never done anything (except set up the goal that got us to the last 16)?

not what I'd call objective reasoning  Roll Eyes

I agree, they are not a world cup winning side by quite a margin, but neither are they so completely awful as some (like you) would make out, especially when the team is settled and the players in form, as they were last autumn.

I still stand by the comment though that had we got to 2-2 the game could have ended very differently. Before it went to 3-1 the Germans were hanging on a bit, and at 2-2 the Germans would not have had the luxury of being able to score on the break in the same way.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 12:16:19 AM +0100 by Paul968 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com