The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
May 02, 2024, 09:10:45 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC: grand prix - the killer years  (Read 1296 times)
Jure
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2011, 09:11:05 AM +0100 »

Mark J already posted about it, but nevertheless, I saw it yesterday and, well, it's a must see!!! Story's told by those few gladiators that managed to survive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N9-QrRl1Uk

Warning: this documentary can and will make a grown man cry.

No joke.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 09:20:12 AM +0100 by Jure » Logged

Christian Szell: Oh, don't worry. I'm not going into that cavity. That nerve's already dying. A live, freshly-cut nerve is infinitely more sensitive. So I'll just drill into a healthy tooth until I reach the pulp. That is unless, of course, you can tell me that it's safe.
Rich2086

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 01:38:40 AM +0100 »

Colin Chapman didnt come out of the documentary looking to great did he. Iv seen most of it before but its still shocking to see the lengths the drivers had to go to just to get some basic safety in the sport.

First month of iRacing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpgEBQnZQjU - please rate and enjoy
Burtoner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 10:01:55 AM +0100 »

Suprised to hear about Spa the old long version and problems they had with safety and barriers, and Jackie Stewart setting up some kind of club to help with safety

UKGPL Season 14 Club Champion
Mr.BMW

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 09:48:25 PM +0100 »

Thank you for this link.
Ken Murray

Ducati 996 @ Cadwell Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 11:03:04 PM +0100 »

Suprised to hear about Spa the old long version and problems they had with safety and barriers, and Jackie Stewart setting up some kind of club to help with safety

Jackie was at the forefront in the drive for increased safety measures in F1, and didn't always have the full backing of his fellow competitors. Even now Stirling Moss argues that the sport is too safe and that part of the game was to show how brave you were.
purdie
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 10:03:21 AM +0100 »

Amazing program, more like a war documentary. One quote "the race wasn't stopped but that part of the race track smelt of burning flesh" is incredible  Undecided

Stirling Moss has always argued for safety and I am surprised he wasn't mentioned. He had a huge crash at Goodwood and promoted safety, especially with his early retirement

Ken Murray

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 11:41:43 AM +0100 »

Amazing program, more like a war documentary. One quote "the race wasn't stopped but that part of the race track smelt of burning flesh" is incredible  Undecided

Stirling Moss has always argued for safety and I am surprised he wasn't mentioned. He had a huge crash at Goodwood and promoted safety, especially with his early retirement

I'm sure Stirling has argued for safety in the past, but not as vigourously as Sir Jackie, and I'm sure he thinks it's gone to far now. This is a quote from him taken from Wicki;

"I certainly had an appreciation of the danger which to me was part of the pleasure of racing. To me now racing is - the dangers are taken away: if it's difficult, they put in a chicane. So really now the danger is minimal - which is good, because people aren't hurt. But for me the fact that I had danger on my shoulder made it much more exciting. It's rather like if you flirt with a girl, it's more exciting than paying for a prostitute, because while you know you're gonna get it, the other one you don't. And I think with driving a motor car, the danger is a very necessary ingredient. Like if you're cooking, you need salt. You can cook without salt, but it doesn't have the flavour. It's the same with motor racing without danger. For me."
Mr.BMW

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 09:18:11 PM +0100 »

After watching that documentary, I'm convinced Colin Chapman was a sociopath lol
Fred Basset
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 09:41:18 PM +0100 »

There are strong rumours that ACBC was addicted to uppers during his life. I don't know if true or not, if it is that might have some impact on his behaviour/attitude.

Ken Murray

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 12:06:40 AM +0100 »

Regardless of your opinion of dangers in motorsport, you have to say this is one very brave and exceptionally strong woman. Bridget Dobbs, whos husband was killed at last years TT races.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nna5WoAbLkI
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com