The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
May 03, 2024, 05:56:41 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My PC is kaput :-((((  (Read 2700 times)
Iain

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2005, 11:43:54 PM +0100 »

Recently i have been getting poor frame rates on all the games i play (GTR / Hiden and dangerous 2 / Battlefield 2 )

At first i noticed my PSU was very hot... so i added a fan

it made it worse... so i thought.... hmm 200w PSU i need more power Grin

so i got more power and nada still the same problem, just a lot cooler Sad

so i tried alternative gfx card drivers.... nada

i tried my dads gfx card... nada

i have reinstalled windows and then tried formatting... nada

so i am pretty certain its a hardware problem!

can anyone spot anything that is causing probs in my system spec

intel 3.0 ghz processer
1gb DDR ram
asus p4s800 MX mother board
ATI RADEON 9800 pro 128mb ram (dads gfx card = Nvidia geforce6 6600 25gmb ram (yes i did remember drivers))
200GB maxtor HDD
Netgear something or other wireless card
soundblaster audigy LS soundcard

need any more infos and i will do my best, cuz i need help, me and my old man are baffled at my PC problems! frame rates start off ok and are dropping to maybe 10

anyone know anything about the mobo in particualar? i think it might be needing an upgrade -> more money oh no Sad

also would flashing the BIOS be worth the risk?

Any help will be greatly appriciated

GtrRank name = Iain
Mike Wrightson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 11:53:05 PM +0100 »

Really the only things you haven't tried swapping are the motherboard, RAM and CPU.  I'd be looking at trying some different RAM first, then it looks like a motherboard Sad

Team Shark!
Iain

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 12:03:16 AM +0100 »

i switched the RAM modules over just to see if the first 512mb was dodgey.... it wasnt

i can rob my dads ram tommorow as he leaves for his hols in a few hours Grin

i can also put my HDD in his PC to test if it is my data causing a prob i suppose

i dont want to have to rob his mobo tho, argh big job!

cheers, its nice to ask for help, as you can see what i am yet to think of Grin

thanks muchly!

GtrRank name = Iain
Iain

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 01:45:13 AM +0100 »

im going to swap the CPU fan later... i checked the BIOS 60 degress... oh bugger Sad

GtrRank name = Iain
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 07:31:50 AM +0100 »

60 isn't that hot really.

If you get normal performance in Windows apps and it's just games which struggle, that would suggest that perhaps it could be the graphics card which has a cooling problem, rather than the CPU.

To finish first, first you must have fins.
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 08:03:35 AM +0100 »

Iain, that's a really weird problem....

Couple of observations, dunno if this will help though!

Your PSU (200w) seems quite underpowered for a modern rig, sounds like you might have fixed that, wasn't quite sure. And, generally PSU's do get hot  Wink

Generally, if it's the gfx card that's overheating in games it'll generally cause a CTD (crash to desktop) rather than a slowing down in frame rates. Anyway, you've tried another card so it's not that.

I'd guess at a gfx driver issue but you say you've tried that as well!

Hmmm. I'd suggest reformatting the HD, unplugging all your peripherals (just leaving keyboard, mouse & monitor) and just re-install Windows and the stock gfx card drivers and one game that you had a problem with and try it again and we'll see if we can narrow it down further.

Good luck!

Pops.

Legends Racing simracing team
fozzmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 08:56:52 AM +0100 »

60 isn't that hot really.

actually 60 degrees is over what is reasonable for a few CPU's and is hotter than desirable on most
http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?content=maxtemp.shtml

I am selling my Virtual Roadster cockpit on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320742210327 / https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=9771.0
iRacing = Matthew Forrester
[ZiP]Tyf
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 01:29:15 PM +0100 »

Sounds crap! Smiley

M8 of mine had similar problems with a 3.2 P4. We at the start thought it was the cpu temps as well and psu etc., but after he changed the mobo to a different chipset one all the problems were solved. I noticed the P4s800-mx has onboard graphics... Make sure that is turned off in bios. In a way you have to retrace your steps and see what has been changed lately. The onboard graphics setting for instance will probably have been correct already Smiley. Flashing your bios will generally not help with these problems, why would it have worked before then? Wink

Since you've changed card, memory and psu already, there's not a lot left, hehe! Personally don't believe in hdd problems being the cause, unless you see loads of hdd activity when the fps slows down Smiley. Best bet is the mobo I think  :'(

This one solved the problems for my m8: Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, 865PE (Sound, LAN, SATA-RAID , 1394) for about 70 pounds or so Smiley.

Not wanting to be a smarty pants by the way Iain, but if you can afford it and you use your pc mainly for gaming, go with a new AMD mobo/cpu. PM me if you want some more info m8, I've been advising my clanm8s throughout the years and generally speaking Wink it helped them, lol! Cheesy

T
Iain

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 01:56:45 PM +0100 »

robbed my sisters processor.... and that was problem solved!

now i must spend more money :-(((

GtrRank name = Iain
Rob Bywater "Kerb Crawlers"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 04:39:45 PM +0100 »

i can rob my dads ram tommorow as he leaves for his hols in a few hours Grin

Hey hey, party at Iains house!  Grin

Cheers

Rob
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: