The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
May 02, 2024, 10:28:02 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • Spa Fun Race: May 24, 2005
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Spa Fun Race - High capacity server  (Read 12637 times)
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« on: May 22, 2005, 11:55:53 PM +0100 »

There will be a fun race on Tuesday night here are the details:
Server: UKGTR (Avonrise)
Password: usual practice password
Track: Spa (Dusk)
Weather: Dry
Race Lenght: 30 mins
Time: 9pm (UK Time), please arrive around 9pm for start of qualifying
Car choice: Any

Although this is a fun race, please follow the rules as per any championship race.
There is capacity for 30 drivers at the moment.
As it's Spa Dusk please turn on your driving lights to make it easier to spot each other and please be very careful at the pit exit (both drivers passing the pit exit as well as drivers exiting the pit, Spa has a particularly dangerous pit exit)

Thanks to Picnic for the server.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 08:03:02 AM +0100 by Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer » Logged

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
Zacari

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 12:16:11 AM +0100 »

Cool!  I've got a pool comp. that evening but I'll try and get back for 9 ish.

On GTRank, GTR2Rank and GTLRank as 'Zacari'
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 11:41:54 AM +0100 »

Having never tried Spa Dusk before, just had a blast. That is SO much more difficult than the daytime version!

Thank goodness it's going to be dry!

Legends Racing simracing team
BiBo69

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 01:22:13 PM +0100 »

Having never tried Spa Dusk before, just had a blast. That is SO much more difficult than the daytime version!

I should have done about 6 laps at SPA (daytime)
How can the dusk vesrion being more difficult? Are the sight problems?
I have an orrible PC (the championship may be the excuse for an upgrade) so I hope I can see the road.  Shocked

Fabio Ghezzi on the servers.

You're Fast? Good. You're slow? Good. Just drive clean and enjoy!
Aagramn
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 01:50:39 PM +0100 »

How can the dusk vesrion being more difficult? Are the sight problems?

It's more difficult to spot your braking points. It helps if you get the gamma settings in your graphics driver right, the dark shades in the colour wheel should be just distinguishable instead of appearing as a black hole.

Team Shark

GT Rank Name: Michael Bennett

The correct procedure is brake-swear, not swear-brake.
PaulW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 02:31:58 PM +0100 »

I think I see more with the headlights off what with the headlights not actually lighting anything up in this game but  rather tweaking the levels a bit (for all you Photoshop'ers out there). Fair enough though, we need to see each other!

Look forward to it. I'll NGT it both so that I can get more race practice in teh Porsche and also so I can get used to being passed a lot by 550's Wink

Give a man a fish- he'll eat for a day. But give him a fishing rod and... he'll break it up for firewood, or just possibly, swap it for a fish.
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 02:57:02 PM +0100 »

After a bit more practice...

It's not too bad driving behind another car, what gets REALLY hard is when you have nothing in front of you, especially that long straight after Eau Rouge, I find getting the braking point there really tricky anyway but with the reduced visibility it's horrible!

Still, Dusk seems to have slightly better visibiity than Dawn. Haven't dared try Night yet! <shudder>

Pops

Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 03:10:31 PM +0100 »

There is an option in the game (i think it's graphics options) that allows you to adjust the "darkness" level, this is the best way to make it easier to see in the dark. Yes the lights on the cars suck big time, something they are fixing in GT Legends with the proper DX9 engine.

Still you shouldn't have too much difficulty seeing in the Dusk setting so try turning this down to make it lighter (I think it affects dusk as well as night).

Night-time Spa is great fun, a good test of driver skill. Unfortunately last time we tried full night time there were lots of graphics problems for people in multiplayer.

There are a few shots from the last Spa (Dusk) fun race we had here if you want to look...
UKGTR Fun Race Gallery
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 03:12:38 PM +0100 by Shark » Logged

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
AdrianD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 03:28:02 PM +0100 »

I don't mind the dark, I particularly like dawn, so natural Smiley

I set the dark as dark as it will go in the game, I find the contrast better and I can somehow focus better, in a concentration sense in the dark.

I think the important thing to get right is the room lighting, I have a dimmer switch and I take some time to adjust it so that the screen just dominates the rest of the desk.

One problem though, the section of the track after the main straight after Eau Rouge, the twisty bit that cuts deep into the hill, I get bad stutter there, the only stutter I have anywhere and it's worse at night Sad
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 03:29:47 PM +0100 by AdrianD » Logged

popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 04:23:40 PM +0100 »

Ahhh, I'll have a play with the gamma setting to see if that helps - dunno why I didn't think of that before.

Doesn't really help that the room my PC's in is quite bright and I do get a good bit of reflection on the screen during the day, especially in the morning. Unfortunately, our (somewhat huge)curtains were designed more as decorative than functional so drawing them closed is a major hassle and Mrs Pops will notice in an instant if they aren't put back according to her exacting specifications Wink

I'll have another punt this evening when the sun's in a more GTR friendly spot .

Pops.

Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 04:56:16 PM +0100 »

One problem though, the section of the track after the main straight after Eau Rouge, the twisty bit that cuts deep into the hill, I get bad stutter there, the only stutter I have anywhere and it's worse at night Sad

How much memory do you have?
And have you tried changing the VBSTRATEGY line in your config.ini file, some people, even with ninja systems can alleviate stutter with that.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
AdrianD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 05:15:08 PM +0100 »

I'm running an Athlon64 3200 with 1gig memory and a 9800pro Smiley

What is the VBSTRATEGY line for?

Aagramn
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 05:23:53 PM +0100 »

Think VB stands for vertex buffer. Something to do with how the game uses the graphics card, there should be something about it on the Simbin technical support forum.

Team Shark

GT Rank Name: Michael Bennett

The correct procedure is brake-swear, not swear-brake.
Mark Harrison

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 06:11:07 PM +0100 »

I would be there, but Tuesday's the one night I can't do, so I'll have to give this one a miss Sad
Iain

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 06:47:05 PM +0100 »

i should be there Smiley

GtrRank name = Iain
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com