The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
May 02, 2024, 12:23:14 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • Pinewood test: March 24, 2021
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: S17 Pinewood test race  (Read 952 times)
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2021, 04:43:45 PM +0000 »

How do you type in chat when in vr. So far I got 'try to look though the small gap between the nose and vr headset'  Grin

That's how I type in VR - It's why my sentences are regularly full of typos and very poor grammar Grin

I haven't blown a tire in the chicane yet - I obviously need to try harder!
KDiesel

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2021, 06:22:14 PM +0000 »

This car is quite horrible, it feels under powered, brakes are bad, gearing is awefull and drivebility sucks, track is great tho... Smiley
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2021, 06:57:04 PM +0000 »

Cars like this underline how good a sim AC actually can be - the Countach is awful in nearly every conceivable measure of modern driving Grin
Just like all old supercars really Wink

I've picked it as it's stock (so any problems are purely the track) and we've never dusted them off previously Smiley

It think it should still be fun though, even though I'm bound to either crash out or munch my gearbox as my SHH has turned up today and has very different spacing to my old G25 H pattern...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 07:29:49 PM +0000 by FullMetalGasket » Logged
Syd Drake
Former UKGPL Moderators

Nightwalker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2021, 07:04:35 PM +0000 »

I thought Lola had bad brakes and handling, and then I drove this Smiley Now Lola feels like a modern supercar  Grin
IbnSolmyr

The fastest guy ever to find a way to be slow.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2021, 07:27:31 PM +0000 »

Hey guys, it's just a great '80s supercar whose overall design is much older. It's just 1,5 ton heavy. But it's a great beast.  Wink

Also known as "Solmyr"
Syd Drake
Former UKGPL Moderators

Nightwalker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2021, 09:30:46 PM +0000 »

My first race in VR Smiley
For driving it was great. But still not that great fighting for position. I made a small mistake on lap 1 and Stefan got through. Than I spent the rest of the race about 1 second behind. On penultimate lap Stefan made a small error on that downhill right-left esses and I managed to get along side. But then I had no idea where Stefan was, and probably stayed too far to the left and had to slow down too much not to drift out, and Stefan got the position back. That's when I noticed Matteo in my mirrors, and of course started to make mistakes with my braking points. But half way through the last lap Matteo crashed. I hope it wasn't because of some contact with me (I didn't feel anything), but I also had very poor awareness of where you were. I hope it's part this car/part me being new to vr, and I can improve in close racing.
There is definitely a bug in that chicane with high curbs in the middle of the lap. If you cut over it on the right, it will blow up your tires. Even if it doesn't on the spot, if you look in your tire temperatures, they keep rising, even if you are stopped, eventually blowing your tire up. Or it's the car with the bug, but since it is stuck Kunos car, it's more likely that this is due to the track.
Manteos

P&G Lover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2021, 09:38:36 PM +0000 »

No Syd, at the last lap I did it all by my own and our cars didn't came to contact.

This car is a crazy horse, but at least I had some fun with Jos for 20 mins or so. A bit brutal sometimes, but great fun Smiley

Unfortunately this track seems good in every part except for the chicane. If you touch the armco on the left your car is kaputt!

See you for the next

"The second principle: Take every gain without showing remorse about missed profits, because an eel may escape sooner than you think."
Joseph Penso De La Vega. Confusio de Confusiones (1688)
Jos Ogos

JOsimracing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2021, 08:16:22 AM +0000 »

Brutal race (Matteo's dixit) yesterday. https://youtu.be/UuBmtrYVKZI
Matteo and I had a few exchanges of positions whilst Tim was making the most of our skirmish.
Despite my terrible start from P3 which saw Tim and Matteo running in the distance, I managed to keep it from my teammate Maxime and focused on catching up. Matteo and Tim's fighting allowed me to catch and put some pressure on Matteo. We slightly touched but I don't think that had much influence in Matteo's getting out of the track a couple of turns later and I managed a tight overtake on the chicane.
I started to close on Tim but he pushed hard on the straight and gained an extra half-second at the time Matteo was again breathing on my neck. We had a few laps of close racing and the wheel-to-wheel moment came in the way down after T1. It was very tight and a difficult place for such a maneuver. We touched. I almost lost control of the car but kept it straight, pointing to the right place and without suffering terrible damage. I wasn't happy but I am sure Matteo would find himself in a similar place... Although less heavily impacted.
I managed to close the gap again and restarted my charge. Overbraked myself on the last 90-left turn affecting Matteo's line... I was planning to return the position without losing too much time on the straight but Matteo got nervous and all flashing around... Give back the place on the roundabout...
Left a bit of space but Matteo was distracted or something and I closed the gap again...
Back in the 90-left turn at the end of the track and Matteo lost it. We crashed as I couldn't avoid him... That was the end of the race... Other than Stefan was pushing hard at the end and I had to keep the focus on finishing keeping P2.
A great race and fights with Matteo.
Well done Tim and Stefan.

Check out my YouTube channel: JO Simracing
IbnSolmyr

The fastest guy ever to find a way to be slow.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2021, 12:19:49 PM +0000 »

That was a poor show for me ! ^^

1st I was unable to find my pace, and even was ending my rides in the heaven of drivers.   I couldn't have the right feel of the car, looked like my braking was problematic. Maybe due to a recent PC restart (I need to check my pedals calibrations after every restart for some reason  Undecided)

2nd I then quite missed my qualif.

3rd Did a poor race beginning after a decent start but lost some time while giving up vs Jos in a stupid manner. Then several little mistakes I wasn't used to do in practice. Then a big crash in that deadly-as-expected T1. Thankfully Stefan managed to pass the danger fine, sorry for the mess mate. Really I wasn't concentrated enough.

4th Even if car was able to ride, I got some problems with my wheel clamp which started to loosen (a problem I'm fighting against since years now, I hate this very poor T500 clamping system) and right after that I started to hear and "feel" some "chkling" sounds while downshifting from 4th to 3rd as long as I was feeling my TH8 gate was getting more and more loosen, I think it's quite dead now. Thankfully I had realised it was poor quality stuff when I ordered it so that I had ordered immediately after the right gate mod for the TH8 : the Clixbeetle GT, I need to install it now. It should be much better and durable than the poor stuff I had. I put a link in case any TH8 owner would be interested in :
https://nolitto3d.com/products/clixbeetle-gt%E2%84%A2-colours-may-vary-free-shipping
Oh, and I had to tighten up my TH8 clamping too. Lol, better to experiment all these f**king struggles at once !  Grin

Congrats podium, great pace Tim !

Oh and the track doesn't seem to suffer a glitch at the chicane in first intention, those kerbs aren't more deadly than they should given what they look imo, so maybe some guys experienced a car-related problem with the wheels, or maybe it just simulates a wheel breaking up ? I mean, it's obvious that if you drive over these with speed + gravity center towards it you're very likely to pay the price.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 12:22:44 PM +0000 by IbnSolmyr » Logged

Also known as "Solmyr"
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2021, 12:30:18 PM +0000 »

Oh and the track doesn't seem to suffer a glitch at the chicane in first intention, those kerbs aren't more deadly than they should given what they look imo, so maybe some guys experienced a car-related problem with the wheels, or maybe it just simulates a wheel breaking up ? I mean, it's obvious that if you drive over these with speed + gravity center towards it you're very likely to pay the price.

This is what I want to check - hitting something like that at 30mph in real life is liable to blow a tire/break a wheel/snap something in the suspension.
We would be hitting it at close to 100mph last night...

If I can straight-line those kerbs at 20mph without random stuff exploding then I'm happy to declare the track suitable - no one complains about the walls at Monaco braking their car 'unexpectedly' after all  Wink

Think of it as added-gpl'ness, this track is entirely sane when compared with some of the popular old gpl courses!
Jos Ogos

JOsimracing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2021, 12:32:33 PM +0000 »

better to experiment all these f**king struggles at once !  Grin

Quite right indeed, even if always disrupting when we cannot use our precious little spare time just for the driving but it has to be done and better in a test race than in the middle of the series... Good luck with those adjustments.

I'm totally with you on this, Maxime. I think those curves a clearly marked as DANGER  devil and we should take them very seriously or face the obvious consequences of breaking the car. I cannot possibly see a real car going through that at pace and surviving. Same should be for simracing.
I hit them once yesterday but managed to mitigate the worst outcome at the last second... Although I think I lost pace after that in any case.

I think the track should be good for the GPL series and we need to take that chicane seriously.

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2021, 12:39:10 PM +0000 »

With regards to the car - I think we will have to dust it off more often.
What an absolute beast Cool

If it had better sound i'd already be planning a series!
Once I got the hang of it I absolutely loved it, a proper old school brute of a thing  angel
Jos Ogos

JOsimracing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2021, 02:03:41 PM +0000 »

Once I got the hang of it I absolutely loved it, a proper old school brute of a thing  angel

Agree it is a fantastic beast. One of those you shouldn't ever hear the tyres as there is an exponential relation between dBs and lost seconds...

This one, as well as the Ferrari 250 GTO are masterpieces by Kunos in everything other than the sound department... They/Someone should update this to give them both their proper self.

KDiesel

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2021, 03:15:07 PM +0000 »

Agree with that, just add option car(s) for variety, comedy and real contender options if possible. We need to remember this track, it's pure diamond, just mind chicane it's quite realistic. Smiley Btw, is this fantasy track, try to google it but no results?
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2021, 05:32:10 PM +0000 »

Yes - pure fantasy. The guy wanted to make something with a load of his favourite types of corner from other tracks as well as the feel of the 'Ring.
I think he did a pretty good job hence wanting to try it
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com