The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

May 02, 2024, 05:23:23 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Physics and engineering books  (Read 2359 times)
[ZiP]Tyf
« on: September 06, 2005, 02:07:38 PM +0100 »

Lo peeps,

Was just wondering if anyone has/knows of any good books on real world racing? In the likes of:

http://www.bhmotorsports.com/shop/43?PHPSESSID=360c9425a5b0412ff1bee97a07b34f39
&
http://www.bhmotorsports.com/shop/79?PHPSESSID=360c9425a5b0412ff1bee97a07b34f39

I'm looking to change career, well, what you don't have you can't change can ye? Wink Cheesy So any educational stuff would be good too Cheesy!

Thanks,

T
[ZiP]Tyf
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 03:12:37 PM +0100 »

Ok, so noone on here knows which books a Racing Engineer will have on his/her bookshelve? Grrr! I guess now I will just have to guess which one I'll buy first, lol! :\

T
silver53

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 06:00:32 PM +0100 »

Hi M8   Racing design books by Alan Stainforth would be a good place to start. Ther are some good ones from the states but they talk about sway bars etc so one needs a bi lingual dictionary. As I am very old the books I am familiar with are from  the late 80's. gerald
uber_dave

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 11:02:40 AM +0100 »

Can't belive i never saw this thread until now... I must be busier than i first realised.

Anyhow, books:

"Milliken, Race Car Vehicle Dynamics" ,generally considered the bible by many for dynamics and design.

"John Dixon, Suspension Tyres and Handling" , or something like that.  It's a good book, simpler and briefer than Miliken but covering much of the same content.

Anything by Alan Staniforth is a good place to start.  Very simple to understand the general concepts although there isn't much in the way of maths or physics for serious use - more of a weekend racers book than for pros.  BTW, nice man, i had the fortune to meet him once.

"Multibody systems approach to vehicle dynamics"  Hardcore book for vehicle simulation.  Provides enough fundamental physics to write your own vehicle simulations (what i'm doing currently) in much more interpretable way than standard physics text books.  Also has loads of stuff for applied vehicle dynamics, tyre models, suspension analysis.  It's my current favourite but be warned... this is not for beginers!

"Pacejka, Tire and Vehicle Dynamics" ,Pacejka is the daddy of tyre modeling.  For understanding and modeling tyre behaviour, this is the most in-depth and up to date book around.

Anything by "Carrol Smith".  A legend from F1 and US motor racing who has written books on just about anything related to desging, building and driving a race car.  I haven't read any of them personally, but i hear they are very good.

I've read other books on vehicle dynamics and suspension design by Olley, Matchinsky, Wong and probably more.  However, these don't have anything more to offer than the above.

That pretty much covers my reading list for the last two years.  Not sure how much use this will be to you, really depends what you're wanting to do.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 01:11:25 PM +0100 »

Anything by "Carrol Smith".  A legend from F1 and US motor racing who has written books on just about anything related to desging, building and driving a race car.  I haven't read any of them personally, but i hear they are very good.

I've got "Drive to Win" by Carroll Smith - excellent book. Also "Going Faster" by Carl Lopez of the Skip Barber Racing School. Both are excellent reads for simracers and real world racers alike.

To finish first, first you must have fins.
[ZiP]Tyf
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 08:18:16 AM +0000 »

Tx alot 'Daves' Wink!

I'll have a look at them later when I get all my pc stuff sorted! 3 Months offline means u run out of fresh pr0n!  Grin Cheesy Wink Cool Shocked Embarrassed Undecided :'( Kiss
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com