by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
May 03, 2024, 06:44:33 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: GTL and Linux  (Read 2366 times)
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2021, 02:01:57 PM +0100 »

You don't need steam for GTL. It is a good option for a clean and easy install
But you can run it without needing to start it from steam, and there are installs
you can get that re stand alone if you know the right people...  Roll Eyes

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
Christian Dauger

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2021, 02:07:32 PM +0100 »

You don't need steam for GTL. It is a good option for a clean and easy install
But you can run it without needing to start it from steam, and there are installs
you can get that re stand alone if you know the right people...  Roll Eyes

get it, no problem, get it to work correctly in linux, it's less easy ... Undecided
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2021, 02:12:03 PM +0100 »

Afair you need no steam for GTL or GTR2(P&G) just the CD...+ code

For GPL I do nor use any wine helper apps, just pure install on drive_c

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2021, 02:14:34 PM +0100 »

If GTL fails to run under W10, and you have told it that you are running as Administrator it is most likely a compatibility issue. Set it to run in Compatibility mode using W8, or run the Compatibility troubleshooter.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2021, 02:18:02 PM +0100 »

Afair you need no steam for GTL or GTR2(P&G) just the CD...+ code
Wrong. The CD will not work on anything after W7. The built in "Starforce" copy protection usually fries your Windows install if you try to install from disk. Buy the Steam version, install it then forget Steam. You will however need a valid online code.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2021, 02:43:20 PM +0100 »

I vaguely remember starforce killing GTL in Win7. Is why I strangely liked Vista  Grin

Christian Dauger

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2021, 03:07:23 PM +0100 »

under win10, it works, it is under linux that I have the problem ... (for the moment  Wink)
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2021, 04:01:37 PM +0100 »

................................I am reading these exchanges with great interest  Wink.

I have delved into Linux over the past 3 days and now have a 30GB USB stick with a bootable virgin, Linux cinnamon working, so there is ample space on there for any other stuff I might want to add in the short term. I have yet to investigate all of the various parts of this new OS, but I am in no rush.
Next step is probably a 2nd SSD drive for my rig that will eventually host Linux and any other software ( GPL, GTL etc ) I decide to try and run with it.

I am quite impressed with myself for getting this far lol.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Christian Dauger

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2021, 04:32:17 PM +0100 »

As long as you are not looking for anything special, all is well! When you start to want to do something out of the ordinary, it can quickly get complicated, before losing his habits and the apparent ease of w10

Not much has changed in the last few years in Linux !! On the other hand, we can say that win10, yes it is much improved and makes the transition to Linux much less necessary other than by conviction ... Wink Roll Eyes

Nevertheless, I will still try like you ... Smiley
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2021, 05:40:15 PM +0100 »

What special task are you looking for?

All tasks I expect from my pc can be done with linux.

Axel "Cookie"

phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2021, 06:07:36 PM +0100 »

I have been using real Unix systems like Solaris, and Linux, which started as "Hobby Unix" and is now very capable
for more than 30 years, and unless you know what you are doing it is likely to be a frustrating experience.

I mostly use MS windies for games, and some software that only exists for Windows. I would never run anything
under wine in preference to running it on the system it was compiled for. Unless I wanted to do it to prove I can

I would use a Linux distro over any MS opsystem if everything I wanted was ported to Linux, but they are not
my current PC would easily run GTL or modern simms with an extra layer of translation, but the only reason I would
do it is, as I said for "fun" it is only going to run "well enough", and there may be some intellectual satisfaction with
being able to. You better be prepared for some learning Clive  Grin I expect Cookie can talk you through it so that
will make it less painful. Good luck   thumbup1

p.s Cinnamon is the desktop program. What Distro are you running? Mint? or somethings else?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 06:14:34 PM +0100 by phspok » Logged

Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2021, 11:23:05 PM +0100 »

Clive to start a good mint install read here: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html

Axel "Cookie"

Christian Dauger

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2021, 07:31:06 AM +0100 »

Clive to start a good mint install read here: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html

Mint is very nice. 
Cookie, I sent you a message, a suggestion to install Gtl / gtr2 ...? Wink
Christian Dauger

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2021, 12:14:35 PM +0100 »

Well a big step, GPL is finally working, maybe the next race will be under Linux  Wink Grin

However, as I noted it was not without pain, Wine did not install correctly and I had to find some help to enter everything manually and load the latest version (6) which Mint does not did not want to load!
(@Cookie, that's what I wanted to point out, compared to Win10, where there are rarely programs that don't work)

It remains to solve the shifter, because the pallets  Angry   and install GTL among other things, I think Lutrix also works poorly ...
EvilClive courage, with a little luck it will work the first time for you ... Cheesy
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2021, 12:57:43 PM +0100 »

Yes I do prefer the winehq.org version too, as one of the repository versions of mint is outdated Wink

Therefore you must learn to read carefully and  copy paste the given lines into the terminal.

Don't forget after installation you have to write "winecfg" into the terminal to built the wine environment.

I confirm linux coding people are no gamers so they sometime have problem to understand what we need...

Axel "Cookie"

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com