Read this first!    

May 03, 2024, 01:13:03 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Formula One 1988 Season 2 Details  (Read 3686 times)
goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2011, 12:36:32 PM +0100 »

Season 2 Formula One 1988

10 Rounds total with 2 worst results dropped.

Points scoring as Season 1.

The season can be seen as being in 2 parts. Rounds 1 and 2 are 30 minute spec races and will be followed by the 8 remaining rounds of the real life 1988 season.

Round 1 Spec race Ferrari at Mugello 21 laps https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=9617#event2804

Round 2 Spec race AGS JH23 at Interlagos 23 laps https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=9618#event2805

Data from these 2 spec races will be used to allocate drivers to cars.

Drivers will be given a number and be able to choose any car of that number or above.

New drivers joining the championship after the first 2 rounds will only be able to choose from the next slowest remaining cars.

Drivers will keep their chosen car for the remainder of the championship.

Cars 0=fastest 10=slowest

MCLAREN        0
FERRARI         1
MARCH           2
LIGIER           3
ARROWS        4
LOTUS           5
WILLIAMS      5
BENETTON     6
TYRRELL         7
AGS JH23       7
MINARDI         8
EUROBRUN     8
LARROUSSE    9
COLONI          9
DALLARA        9
ZAKSPEED     10
OSELLA         10

WEIGHT/SUCCESS BALLAST FROM ROUND 3 ONWARDS:

In an effort to promote closer and more varied grid line ups, success ballast will be given to drivers as follows:

1st   60kg
2nd  50kg
3rd  40kg
4th  30kg
5th  20kg
6th  10kg

Weight ballast is cumulative up to a maximum of 120kg. Weight will be added based on drivers' finishing positions in the previous two rounds they have taken part in.

This thread may be used for discussion of this series and any queries. I'll start a new thread for driver sign ups following completion of our first 2 races.

Get practising  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 12:39:05 PM +0100 by goldtop » Logged

TOP TIP: READ THE RACE ANNOUNCEMENT Smiley
lazlow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 01:25:31 PM +0100 »

Sounds good, will be interesting to see how the Weight/Success Ballast effects the performance of the cars.

goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 01:56:52 PM +0100 »

Sounds good, will be interesting to see how the Weight/Success Ballast effects the performance of the cars.

I've only briefly been able to test this on the server and only in my trusty Benetton. It seems to be under acceleration and braking where the extra weight has most impact on times. You can definitely feel the extra weight tranfer through the corners, but it doesn't make the cars any more difficult to drive, perhaps even the opposite as they seem to be less twitchy.

A bit like having your mother-in-law in the passenger seat, but less noisy  laugh

lazlow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 03:02:23 PM +0100 »

GT - For the 2 Spec Races have you thought of maybe using a fixed setup to better rank the drivers

goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 04:11:39 PM +0100 »

GT - For the 2 Spec Races have you thought of maybe using a fixed setup to better rank the drivers

No  laugh

Thanks for the suggestion though Jim, but I don't think it would better rank them tbh and would likely be difficult to administer. Every driver has their own preferences and styles and seldom will one driver's setup work perfectly for another. Setup skills and developments are all part of the process imho especially with this mod.

I will of course share my setup with anyone who wants it, as I'm sure all of us here would be happy to do. I'll stick it up on Humyo when I've sorted them out.....I've not done any practise at these tracks yet, just a quick recy to make sure the cars drive nicely and to estimate lapcount for a 30 minute race.

Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 06:56:02 PM +0100 »

couple of questions as i sat out the first season.

1) does this mod install okay into a GTR2 install without borking anything else or does it need its own standalone install? I already have 3 on my pc and dont really want a 4th  Tongue

2) How long will the races be? I saw last nights was a 75min race? I couldnt really commit to that sort of time on a weekday basis, so may also disclude me.

Ta.

goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 07:05:11 PM +0100 »

Great to see you're interested in this MJ. Mod should be fine alongside others....we have it on our server with no problems. Personally I like a seperate install for it as I can keep track of setups and circuits better.

Race length: first 2 races are 30 minute no stop required sprints....ideal to find out if you like it or not. Season is a repli of the 2nd half of the 1988 season, most of which have 1988 versions of the tracks used. These will be half real world length (approx 40 to 50 minutes) with the exception of one full length GP of around 75 minutes (as Silverstone was) Most races will need a stop for tyres (maybe) but not fuel.

I'll post the full details up (or H@L will) after the spec races, but this will give you the general picture......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_Formula_One_season

Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 10:26:00 PM +0100 »

cheers GT.  I'll set about downloading and installing it all, then go for a few test drives to see if i like it. What cars are recommended first to get the best feel for it? ..ie something that wont spit me off every corner  Tongue

Is there a place to look for pre-made setups etc from you guys or elsewhere?

goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 10:45:19 PM +0100 »

cheers GT.  I'll set about downloading and installing it all, then go for a few test drives to see if i like it. What cars are recommended first to get the best feel for it? ..ie something that wont spit me off every corner  Tongue

Is there a place to look for pre-made setups etc from you guys or elsewhere?

I've gotta say the Benetton is a good place to start  Wink Here's my Ricard setup (up the wing settings for twistier tracks).....

http://www.humyo.com/FHWPvLQ/tudor%20Benetton%20Ricard88.svm?a=Yg2hIPF09xU

The motec looks very strange, but it works for me. Of the quicker cars, the fezza and the Ligier are nice imo, the turbos a bit less predictable, but quick. Some of the missing teams cars are also nice to drive, but a bit slower....AGS, Tyrrell.

I find that a light ffb helps a lot as struggling with heavy ffb can be a bit of a hinderance at these speeds.

Let me know how you get on and shout up if you need anything else.

Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 10:53:26 PM +0100 »

cheers GT, have d/l'd and installed and grabbed your setup. Will test tomorrow...once my sideburns have grown longer  Smiley  Will get in the mood by reading the latest 'Motorsport' magazine.  Cool

What a helpful chap you are euro

edit: couldnt resist so fired it up...wow! they certainly sound and look the part. Will take some getting used to the speed difference to GT racing though!  Shocked  Count me in if i can get upto speed enough Smiley
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 11:07:42 PM +0100 by Mark J » Logged

Manteos

P&G Lover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 04:34:45 PM +0100 »

I'm really interested to race with these cars, but I can't say how many races I will able to do... It's summer time, you know Smiley

I will do as many race as possible... starting form next Tuesday race at Mugello Circuit Wink

During this weekend I will be at Misano Circuit with some VDA friends, to watch the "Superstars" and "GT Sprint" championships and support our real driver Andrea Palma and his teammate Max Mugelli for their debut with Ferrari 458 Italia.

I will post some photos when I come back on Monday, and I hope to have even some time to train a bit for the spec race Wink

Mugello + Ferrari = showtime!  Grin Grin

Cu soon  Wink

"The second principle: Take every gain without showing remorse about missed profits, because an eel may escape sooner than you think."
Joseph Penso De La Vega. Confusio de Confusiones (1688)
SRW
Sunday Supremo
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 01:20:20 PM +0100 »

cool, i saw the last round of the "Superstars" championship at Donington a few weeks ago, they are fast machines, i stood at the exit of the melbourne hairpin as the cars were powersliding as they tried to get the power down early on the hill up to goddards!

Hopefully Johnny Herbert will beat the 458's  Wink
purdie
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 04:16:19 PM +0100 »

Great stuff GT.... this has to be my favourite mod ever too... driving reminds me so much of the Group C racing except these are obviously more twitchy!

Have you considered x2 fuel to spice it up further?

Thought this would be up your street MJ  Wink

This weekend I will be at Misano Circuit with some VDA friends, to watch the "Superstars" and "GT Sprint" championships and support our real driver Andrea Palma and his teammate Max Mugelli for their debut with Ferrari 458 Italia.

Beautiful.... that car is one of the best looking GT cars in a while!! I heard from a 430 driver that Ferrari have made them turn their engines down to ensure they don't beat the 430s. Although the car doesn't need that help judging by its success' already this year

goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 04:33:11 PM +0100 »

Great stuff GT.... this has to be my favourite mod ever too... driving reminds me so much of the Group C racing except these are obviously more twitchy!

Yes, but...

Personally I don't like pitstops in any mod as I see them only as having the potential to fugger up my race. I'm still a bit twitchy at having had my butt kicked by a Minardi at Silverstone because of this  laugh GTR2 doesn't do F1 pitstops very well as too much time is lost for them to be used as strategy. Also there are some issues with restarting some of the cars after refuelling.

purdie
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 08:20:35 PM +0100 »

Yes, but...

Personally I don't like pitstops in any mod as I see them only as having the potential to fugger up my race. I'm still a bit twitchy at having had my butt kicked by a Minardi at Silverstone because of this  laugh GTR2 doesn't do F1 pitstops very well as too much time is lost for them to be used as strategy. Also there are some issues with restarting some of the cars after refuelling.

very good points, i had forgotten about the fuel issue with GTR2 (based on GT rules) and just changing tyres is like an F1 pitstop in time anyway. Can't wait for S2  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com