by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

May 02, 2024, 08:24:21 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: So weak  (Read 7367 times)
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2005, 10:01:39 AM +0100 »

Well all the talk and videos, as well as some form of common sense ( you may disagree Wink ), and I have succumbed to the lure. GTL on order, only with play.com so I will have to wait 2 weeks.

Don
Blue and Orange Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 11:00:18 AM +0100 »

Well all the talk and videos, as well as some form of common sense ( you may disagree Wink ), and I have succumbed to the lure. GTL on order, only with play.com so I will have to wait 2 weeks.

Don't worry I don't think you will regret the purchase one bit.
Don.
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 11:02:16 AM +0100 »

It's not the game I have a problem with, it is Simbin and their attitude towards customer service and support.

fozzmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 11:18:45 AM +0100 »

I'm sure I'll hate knowing that a race is on and I can't join. I'd love to drive a good GT40, Cobra or Mustang, and it's worth a look just for that, tho it'll make me feel dirty.

I'm def not considering it until I find it for 18 quid tho, It's got to be an amazing game for me to buy any game for more (you can usually find most for 18)

I'll prob wait to see if the numbers increase, if they do. The main things I'm looking forward to are the V8, American GT and SO76 for rF. rF was just starting to pick up numbers (would have had 10 if the usual members turned up, as well as new ones).

Foz

I am selling my Virtual Roadster cockpit on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320742210327 / https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=9771.0
iRacing = Matthew Forrester
Don
Blue and Orange Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 11:57:43 AM +0100 »

I'm sure I'll hate knowing that a race is on and I can't join. I'd love to drive a good GT40, Cobra or Mustang, and it's worth a look just for that, tho it'll make me feel dirty.

I'm def not considering it until I find it for 18 quid tho, It's got to be an amazing game for me to buy any game for more (you can usually find most for 18)

I'll prob wait to see if the numbers increase, if they do. The main things I'm looking forward to are the V8, American GT and SO76 for rF. rF was just starting to pick up numbers (would have had 10 if the usual members turned up, as well as new ones).

Foz

OH Fozz,
Playing GTL now is just like the feeling I got when I tried GTR first, The game has moved on in a great direction, some of the new cars are brill to drive and everything just sounds and looks so good.

rFactor for me hasn't yet come up with the goods, though I will keep it for the single seat stuff.
Don.
greg130
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 11:59:47 AM +0100 »

Well I too have orderd it from play.com, cant wait for a new challenge.

28CDM : http://www.28cd.co.uk

GtrRank name = Greg130

" border="0
" border="0
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 12:41:30 PM +0100 »

Glad to see Picnic has succumbed (knew you would!), really there is no reason to hold a grudge against a company that provided us with the best racing game that was made to date.

GTR has some bugs in yes, GTL probably has some bugs in it, rFactor definately has bugs in it. What piece of software doesn't have bugs in?

My point is that for £25 or less you can't expect any support at all, we're lucky to get the support we did (there were 4 patches for GTR). Yes we're entitled to bitch about it, but that's life, it's a game we buy to entertain ourselves. Where I work we charge our customers mega bucks for support on our software just like Microsoft do for proper support and many other companies.

Let's put £25 into perspective - half the price of a tank of fuel, the price of a meal for 2, the cost of a tesco's bunch of flowers for the mrs on her birthday. Really £25 for the amount of entertainment you get from it is astonishing value for money, even if there are some bugs. Just to be able to spend any time on or offline with GTR or GTL is worth £25.

GTR and GTL really do hit rFactor with a rather large kipper of serious racing and even rFactor is worth £25, it's just not serious enough atm to take the crown of GTR and now GTL.

Rant over.

BTW, I'm not giving up with GTR just cause I have GTL (although I may play it less to fit both in). GTL is better yes but I still like the modern day GT cars too, they provide a different challenge.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 12:45:12 PM +0100 by Shark » Logged

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
aajay_uk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 12:49:03 PM +0100 »

Succumbed also, on order from play.com.

Wasn't going to bother, having enough trouble finding time to really get to grips and improve on GTR and occaisionally rFactor, plus fitting in that work and family thing we all need to do, without having another racing game. But having read the reviews and played with the demo a little more couldn't resist, not a great fan of the old cars but the feel of the demo is just soooo good and could result in some good online racing.

Like to see a game based on the touring cars from the 80s; ie RS500s and the like.

PaulW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 12:53:26 PM +0100 »

The flip side to that Shark is that for any product you buy you can expect it to work, and for a significant number of people GTR just didn't. Simbin attitude was appaling but perhaps just revealed how green they are with regards customer relations. They could take a leaf out of ICMaddox's book in that respect.

But you're right, with a bit of perspective, £25 is a bargain for the amount of entertainment you'll get.

Can anyone tell me if a few little GTR annoyances are still in there (aside from the major bugs we've yet to see surface, natch!)

> Constant centralised serial key checking in the game when joining the lobby or trying to download set-ups?

> Needing to regularly put your details in and log-in to do the above?

> The infuriating "you've just logged on" tickbox, like, oh thanks! Taking me to the lobby wouldn't have told me that?  Roll Eyes Grin

Give a man a fish- he'll eat for a day. But give him a fishing rod and... he'll break it up for firewood, or just possibly, swap it for a fish.
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 01:36:17 PM +0100 »

I'm with Shark on this one, except for the "price of a meal for 2", you want to try going out with Mrs Pops for a 'proper' night out, you could probably buy a Porsche GT3 RS for less  Sad

Oh, and as an company man, I'll have you know Tesco flowers represent fabulous value for money  Wink

Pops

Legends Racing simracing team
greg130
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 01:37:14 PM +0100 »

I have to agree with Shark.  For me GTR has been nothing short of fantastic value for money.  I dread to think of the number of hours I have spent online racing GTR, all for £25, wow talk about good value.
It's a pitty about the odd bug in the game but to be honest mine has been almost completly bug free for ages.  Perhaps a lot of the problems are down to the individuals computer setup/spec.  I have noticed that the main moaners are those who found the game just that little bit to hard.
Now if you judge GTR against rfactor there really is no comparison in playability and realisim.  For me Simbin have done a superb job with GTR and i'm sure GTL will be equaly as amazing.

28CDM : http://www.28cd.co.uk

GtrRank name = Greg130

" border="0
" border="0
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 01:44:19 PM +0100 »

Can anyone tell me if a few little GTR annoyances are still in there (aside from the major bugs we've yet to see surface, natch!)

> Constant centralised serial key checking in the game when joining the lobby or trying to download set-ups?

> Needing to regularly put your details in and log-in to do the above?

> The infuriating "you've just logged on" tickbox, like, oh thanks! Taking me to the lobby wouldn't have told me that?  Roll Eyes Grin

Unfortunately they've kept all these aspects. You have to login to get online files and connect the lobby etc. I'm not sure about the last one, that might have gone. Have to check tonight.

I think a "remember password" tick box would alleviate most of the annoyance with this. Once you've downloaded one setup it wont ask you again during that game but i think that's the same as GTR was.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 01:48:07 PM +0100 »

I'm with Shark on this one, except for the "price of a meal for 2", you want to try going out with Mrs Pops for a 'proper' night out, you could probably buy a Porsche GT3 RS for less  Sad
Oh, and as an company man, I'll have you know Tesco flowers represent fabulous value for money  Wink

Yeah my meal didn't include wine, so add another £15 for a bottle and the smile on her face was priceless. But for everything there's Mastercard!

Actually I bought some luverly flowers from Tesco (don't tell anyone i said luverly flowers or I'll kill you) not long ago for the Mrs. Much better value than the extorsionate Interflora.

Only 53 posts to go before I get to 1000, nearly up with Gizmo!  Smiley

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2005, 01:53:25 PM +0100 »

I have noticed that the main moaners are those who found the game just that little bit to hard.

That's a bit harsh Wink

I'm really into my network racing, so not sure GTL will work for me if I have to find the time to race offline in order to get enough money to get a competitive online one.

As for complaints of GTR, I have yet to suffer from the 1fps bug (he said touching some wood) on my rig but because it takes others out of the race it does affect me. Then there was the debacle over the nonDX dedicated server. First it's there, then a patch removes it! Finally it comes back and was only just good enough to run the league from. Surely during testing someone noticed in the replays that cars had no wheels   Undecided There are numerous other complaints and I don't expect everything to be perfect, but I don't expect the company to leave their official support forum with no help for anything  Angry

I have to agree that 35 quid is small peanuts compared with the hours of enjoyment (frustration?) the game has given me, 25 for GTL and I'm on to a winner. Just praying the online stuff is more solid.

fozzmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2005, 03:11:48 PM +0100 »

In a capatilist society, the only say you have, is whether to buy or not.

Yeh 25 aint gonna break the bank, but SimBin don't get my vote at present.

I am selling my Virtual Roadster cockpit on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320742210327 / https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=9771.0
iRacing = Matthew Forrester
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com