The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
May 03, 2024, 01:56:29 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: my i5-2500k - finally new cooler to overclock! (pics)  (Read 1551 times)
Burtoner

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2012, 11:07:43 AM +0000 »

Hi all, as some if most of you are aware I upgraded to an i5-2500k chip back in November, all working great no crashes Smiley

I hardly done any racing since beginning of new season in November just finding the time and playing some other games for a change now and again.

Having got my new CPU and board all working, and seeing how good this chip is to overclock, I managed to get it from 3.3ghz to 4.0ghz using stock cooler, but temps were getting very high even in games, i was getting a cpu warning message for temperatures of it.

Anyway brought the Noctua NH-D14 Cooler and its huge!!

Heres some pictures.

Getting 30degs idle, 50 degs underload and under cpu stress around 75-80 degs

But the problem didnt stop there as I noticed one time to fit it I had to take whole board out to fit a clamp underneath it, and when i put the cooler on top of the CPU it wouldnt fit!, all because I was using Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB ram. So about 2 weeks ago I brought some more ram this time 8gigs again but for £30 quid bargain, Kingston Hyper X, and that fitted in, and Cooler fitted on top like a dream! Smiley

Heres me testing it all out of the case..

See how big that Cooler is! :O

Heres the Clearance of the ram under the cooler!

Anyway finally got it all fitted in my case.

Just to show you have much clearance there was on side of the case too!

Anyways all up and running, no crashing, runs prime95 for at least 8hrs no problem, and its overclocked from 3.3ghz to 4.5ghz Cheesy

Heres it running at 4.5ghz, reaching about 60 degs temp Smiley - When i was gettin 85 under load in games at stock! Smiley

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 12:21:36 PM +0000 by Burtoner » Logged

UKGPL Season 14 Club Champion
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 12:03:41 PM +0000 »

You have to wonder sometimes if motherboard, memory, cpu cooler  & case manufacturers actually work together. CPU colers are just massive nowadays, really too big. It doesnt help that memory seems to be getting bigger with useless heat sinks.

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
Ken Murray

Ducati 996 @ Cadwell Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 06:08:57 PM +0000 »

OK, I have no in depth knowledge of hardware and it's cost etc, but would it not be easier just to use a 4.5GHz CPU in the first place?!!
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 06:19:46 PM +0000 »

OK, I have no in depth knowledge of hardware and it's cost etc, but would it not be easier just to use a 4.5GHz CPU in the first place?!!

He he, yes but then he'd have to overclock that too, and he'd need an even bigger cooler.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 07:09:43 PM +0000 »

would it not be easier just to use a 4.5GHz CPU in the first place?!!

Where does one buy one of those? Wink

To finish first, first you must have fins.
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 08:06:17 PM +0000 »

Especially when the price of CPUs seem to rise exponentially with there speed! Thanks for proving it Clive lol

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 10:24:06 PM +0000 »

Thanks for proving it Clive lol

What did I do?

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 10:56:22 PM +0000 »

Where did i get Clive from??? oops

Brendan

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 11:19:26 PM +0000 »

Mmmmmmm.......

Jaffa Cakes  drool
Kerr

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 11:38:41 PM +0000 »

You could stick that cooler on the back of your car and it would blow you along faster.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com