The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

May 03, 2024, 12:06:39 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: F1 88 release  (Read 5190 times)
purdie
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2008, 03:36:17 PM +0000 »

One of my favourite mods has just come out!  Smiley

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=F1%201988%20carrera%2E4

Its version 0.9 because it's not finished. Physics are a bit out as ppl have been commenting on the downforce being too high (or too much grip from the tyres) but hopefully the developer will take all this into account and produce an even more stonking bit of kit  Shocked

I just love looking at this mod as well as driving! Online is still pretty fun! and my old man owns the Arrows from this mod...1.5l turbo! Unfortunately i'll never be able to drive it cos i'm 6 2' !  Embarrassed

Joss

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 05:14:21 PM +0000 »

Your dad owns an F1 car?! Jeesh!  drool

I was watching some great vids on youtube from the FIA GT Series and British GT, I'm sure I saw your car somewhere Purdie....at least it was the same colour scheme.
Zacari

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 05:40:43 PM +0000 »

Niiiice, I'll definately be downloading this Smiley

On GTRank, GTR2Rank and GTLRank as 'Zacari'
Tibernius
Director, AC
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 08:15:30 PM +0000 »

RFC are running an F1 1988 championship:

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/raceserver/world_championship.cfm?ID=F1%201988

Definitely worth a look, they use a different system to the other championships so you can race at any time, see the website for details.

This is one mod I won't be trying, I don't think I'd be able to control a 1988 F1 car! Cheesy
Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 08:22:26 PM +0000 »

I wait for the final release. Many mods out there have physics that are questionable, and with already some question around these physics I'm gonna wait and hope they sort them out.
purdie
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 08:41:09 PM +0000 »

well part of the problem Tibernius is it is quite easy....as Ruskus says ppl have questioned its physics...

....but on the other hand its nice to have a F1 type mod that you can drive after a few laps, but I can't wait for the full version  Grin

will16v

PSN: will_16v XBL: will16v

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 12:47:59 AM +0000 »

Hey Andy, just had a look on your site, and there are some impressive pics on there  Cool

The GT3 looks sweet Wink

How do GTR 2 and other sims compare to the real thing - are they useful for learning new tracks?

purdie
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:58:45 AM +0000 »

Yeah the biggest aspect sims are helpful on is learning tracks....  Smiley in 2006 when I did FIA GT3 at Mugello, learning the track on GTL (at the time) must have saved me about 10-15 laps (30 odd minutes). After a few laps i was already doing decent times  scooter

Also GTR2/rFactor are so in-depth with car settings, there are more options than on most race cars in real life! So it helps you learn the concepts.

As far as handling goes i've never driven a GT1 car but they aren't much slower than my group C car, although 150-200 bhp less they obviously have sequential gearboxes and better handling while for me the gear change and turbo lag is sometimes painful!  Undecided But like the group C car you can feel the sensation of aerodynamics working on the GT1s on the game esp. during high speed corners.

As far as GT2 goes i've driven a 996 RSR and RS and feel the game models a 911's characteristics quite accurately. The problem with a game is you can only judge what the car is doing through the steering wheel and exaggerated tyre squeal sounds  Roll Eyes and in the real life you feel it mainly through your arse  wheelchair

The 977 GT3 Cup Car mod for rFactor is one of the realistic but that is a car i've driven the most in real-life and the mod was co-developed with a team and driver in the Carrera Cup...but very impressive  Cheesy

I just wish GTR2 modelled some more realistic aspects of a proper race. For example with most cars having carbon fibre bumpers etc punctures are more frequent after collisions with lots of debris. Also fluid from cars is often a problem, in 2006 when we were racing in Carrera Cup at Silverstone National, there  was first corner contact and coolant was dropped on the apex of Copse. So for the whole 25 min race (not long but tyres went off after 15 mins!) people were hitting and spinning and going off etc, but most drove a wider line etc. (the sensible thing to do!) but the spectators loved it sitting on the first corner waiting for someone to crash  Undecided laugh

Further to that, fluid should definitely include oil. Cars as old as the ones in GTL tend to leak quite a bit and sometimes when testing with them it's not uncommon for them to drive most of the track (on the racing line!) dripping oil !!!  Tongue
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 10:01:33 AM +0000 by purdie » Logged

Tibernius
Director, AC
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 10:57:14 AM +0000 »

scared Purdie's an FIA GT3 driver!?! Shocked
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 11:13:13 AM +0000 »

Really interesting post Purdie, thanks for sharing those thoughts with us Smiley

Legends Racing simracing team
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 11:24:59 AM +0000 »

Nice insight Purds!  Glad to see your helping out on the Group C mod over at RSC too  Cool Having someone who drives them for real, and is testing the mod is a massive advantage !

Do you race your fellow compadre Sean Edwards in the PCC07 mod in rF ? He competes in that F1rst league with $1500 bucks up for grabs  Shocked
He rates that PCC mod very highly too. I think its great, im just not quick enough to compete with people like him in that league though !   Embarrassed

purdie
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 03:00:15 PM +0000 »

Cheers MJ!

Yeah i only did one race in FIA GT3 when Tech9 needed a driver and the other car was Sean who was driving with another mate of mine Phil Keen. Both are bloody good drivers too! I was sharing with a crazy dutch business man, but considering both races were monsoon conditions we finished something like 6th/7th out of 40 odd so not bad in both races. Wettest race i've ever done!  Undecided Bow waves coming off of the front of the car  Tongue

Yeah the group C mod is pretty cool so I couldn't help but offer any service I can. Me and WizardofOz are in dialogue and I'm helping him test the next version very soon!

Sean tried to get me on F1rst when they ran the V8 mod and i wasn't getting on with it but now i want to run in 997s!  Grin Grin Grin
I know him quite well and he had a great 1st season running in the 997 GT3 RSR....a pretty tasty motor! hehe Cheesy Sean is a very good driver!  Cool

purdie
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 11:54:55 AM +0000 »

Well just to bore the pants off anyone interested I found some pics on my old mans laptop of his Arrows so thought i'd post them.....

......chucked in the cheeky 962 as I'm exiting Eau Rouge....gives you an idea of just how steep it is!  Shocked

I have put some screenshots in and it just shows how close they look. The only thing is I think the car has the 89 front wing in real life there or a later 88 one. Not sure.....and my old man looking very old haha

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 11:57:25 AM +0000 by purdie » Logged

Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 12:03:52 PM +0000 »

Very cool Purd  Cool
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 12:52:25 PM +0000 »

Nice pics Purds, never fails to amaze me how steep Eau rouge really is, it gets so flattened out on telly, like-wise for Paddock hill at Brands.
Everyone that goes to the 'Ring' also comments on how steep the terrain rises and falls compared to TV/computer sims

So how does the F1 '88 mod feel? Pretty good/realistic ?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com