by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 20, 2024, 11:02:29 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • L12FIFT Aintree: May 01, 2012
May 01, 2012, 08:46:40 PM +0100 - Aintree - UKGTL Season 12 The Fifties
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Hristo Itchov
 Team Oldie Racing
Aston Martin DBR1 (#100) GTC-65 6 +5.276
89.049mph
1 51:40.349
90.449mph
26 1:56.361
92.690mph
Dunlop  
Ross Hawkey

Aston Martin DBR1 (#24) GTC-65 3 +1.470
91.938mph
2 +1.162
90.415mph
26 1:57.931
91.456mph
Dunlop  
Ade
 Kerb Crawlers
Aston Martin DBR1 (#2) GTC-65 2 +0.383
92.798mph
3 +40.464
89.284mph
26 1:56.587
92.510mph
Dunlop  
Alex vV
 Gentlemen Drivers Club
Aston Martin DBR1 (#14) GTC-65 4 +4.929
89.305mph
4 +1:29.040
87.924mph
26 2:00.663
89.385mph
Dunlop  
Wiltshire Tony
 Toyland Racing
Aston Martin DBR1 (#44) GTC-65 7 +6.983
87.811mph
5 +2:02.380
87.014mph
26 2:01.043
89.105mph
Dunlop  
Alex Dummer
 Dummer Racing
Aston Martin DBR1 (#100) GTC-65 5 +5.080
89.193mph
6 +1L
85.998mph
25 2:00.492
89.512mph
Dunlop  
b_1_rd
 Clark-Hill Racing
Aston Martin DBR1 (#44) GTC-65 8 +7.318
87.572mph
7 +7L 19 2:02.612
87.964mph
unknown
Dunlop  
SpecialKS
 TEAM-GTLDK
Aston Martin DBR1 (#14) GTC-65 9 +9.203
86.252mph
8 +15L 11 2:02.425
88.099mph
suspension
Dunlop  
Navin R Johnson
 TEAM-GTLDK
Aston Martin DBR1 (#44) GTC-65 1 1:55.843
93.104mph
9 +17L 9 1:56.290
92.747mph
unknown
Dunlop  
BillThomas
 Kerb Crawlers
Aston Martin DBR1 (#25) GTC-65 10 +25.680
76.210mph
10 +18L 8 2:03.191
87.551mph
unknown
Dunlop  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGTL Season 12 The Fifties - Aintree - May 1  (Read 11181 times)
BillThomas

We will rock you! Rock on.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 09:51:15 PM +0100 »

Thanks Tony, will try that. Grin

Bill Thomas   wheelchair
Another one bites the dust
SpecialKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 08:35:09 PM +0100 »

Hey Bill and Bird - server online again!

So long

SpecialKS
aka Eifelblitz
Geoff65
Former UKGPL Moderators

Aussie Paul Hawkins. Sitting in Porsche 910

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 09:01:08 PM +0100 »

Kicking myself for missing this....was playing P&G at Cadwell, and having such a good time...forgot to look at the clock. Never mind, next one.   Sad

Question, do we have a chatroom online?....and if so, where, what, why....how?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:04:16 PM +0100 by Geoff65 » Logged

www.clark-hillracing.com

"Racing is life.....anything that happens before or after, is just waiting"
Steve McQueen from "Le Mans"

GPL Rank +15.145 29/3/2012
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 09:32:51 PM +0100 »

Well, fun while it lasted.  Took me a long time to get used to the car and was well off the pace but it was fun to have a go.

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 10:00:39 PM +0100 »

Replay and results now posted.

Thanks to all the drivers who joined me in the "Fifties".

Jags at Castle Combe next time

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Alex vV

Gentleman Driver

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 10:11:06 PM +0100 »

Unofficial LapChart

Apologies Hristov for the early race punch. I ran out of talent there..
Congrats with the victory.

Ross Hawkey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 10:41:41 PM +0100 »

Well that was as much fun as I'd hoped it would be.  Thanks Tony for setting it up, I just hope the numbers are maintained or build a bit through the season.

Qual:A second row grid spot was about right given the pace seen in practice from Navin & Ade. Gratz to Navin on the Pole, a great lap.

Race:I was a bit slow off the line, and got a slight tap from behind, but nothing really to worry about, as both Hristo and Alex went by me.  Then into T3 Alex got a bit tight to Hristo and lost momentum, which allowed me to get that position back.

After that, the top 3 were all a bit quicker than me, and were pulling away. I'm not sure if my trying to stay smooth and look after the tyres helped me here or not ('cos they were well worn at the end), but despite the wear, I felt I was able to compete better with the cars ahead later in the race. Could have been their early pace generated extra wear, I'm not sure.

Either way, after Navin disappeared, I had a close battle with Ade for the whole race, 'till about 5 laps from the end, when Ade spun, I found myself in P2, and closing on Hristo who'd also hit trouble and lost some time. The gap at the line being just over the 1 second.

I understand there'll maybe be different opinion on the tyre wear, but for me, I like it. It maybe adds a bit of strategy(in terms of how hard to push early on), and certainly becomes more of a challenge as the race progresses.

Well doneHristo for the win and all finishers, and nice race data Alex, thx for that.  See you at Castle Combe.

Ross Hawkey
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 11:31:30 PM +0100 »

I applied a tyre wear factor to this series as I felt the tyre technology of the mid-fifties was probably in it's infancy and that tyre wear would be a real concern to the drivers of the day. Also these cars had no traction control or other aids other than the drivers skill with the pedals and wheel.

I'm more than happy to set the wear back to normal. Your views would be most welcome. We have two weeks until the next event so plenty of time to debate.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 12:02:41 AM +0100 »

Unofficial LapChart

Apologies Hristov for the early race punch. I ran out of talent there..
Congrats with the victory.

It's Hristo or Itchov, not Hristov.  Grin And no problem, fortunately these cars are very heavy, so you hardly moved me much around. And thanks!

As for my race, I had never run these before and I joined in the last moment, almost having forgotten about the race. Unfortunately I did not have the cars installed properly and it somehow crashed the server I think. Anyway, with 10 mins of qualifying and a default setup, I did not have much time to figure out how the car handles and make a setup. Glad I knew the track from GPL and it seemed exactly the same, more or less.

The car appeared quite a handful, but the default setup wasn't so bad. I made some tweaks, had another run, couldn't get a clean lap and remained 6th on the grid, but the handling seemed improved. I gambled on a few extra changes for the race, filled it up and went to the grid.

I had a very good start and moved to the inside on the run towards T1, gaining a few positions. Got tapped before T3, but the car stood firm and I had no problem making the corner. Navin and Ade had the upper hand in terms of pace though, and if it wasn't for them battling each other, I would have dropped behind them a lot more. Even though they were slowing each other down, I couldn't make an impression, trying to still figure out how to drive the car on the limit. Braking for corners and hitting the apex was my greatest issue, as it takes a much different style than what I'm used to. It reminded me of that old onboard view of Fangio going around Fiorano, front-engined car, brake in a straight line, turn in early and drift it under power. It seemed similar and it was always a mistake whenever I braked too deep into a corner as that was sending me wide.

After a few laps Ade and Navin went off in the middle of the lap, and from there on I took the lead, building a gap of up to 12 seconds, but then I hit tire troubles as expected. What I did not expect though was the significant change in handling characteristics and sheer lack of grip. After some offs, one particularly bad when I was lapping someone (sorry for the scare), Ross had managed to close in and eventually challenge for the victory, and with my tires almost completely gone near the end (wheelspin in 3rd gear!) it was a big pressure to keep the 1-2 seconds gap without making any further mistakes. I don't think I could have kept 1st for more than 1-2 laps so I was glad the race was over. Fuel was also becoming a problem, with the fuel gauge having just gone into the red. Apparently the fuel mileage prediction in the setup menu was correct for a change and I had just enough to make the distance!

Fun cars, very tricky, looking forward to the next race. Grats to Ross for being so fast and consistent, and to all who finished. Great pace Navin and Ade, hope I can figure out a better way to setup this car before the next round and challenge you as well.

Oh and about tire wear, I think it's interesting this way. Of course I prefer to push to the limit all the time, but the way it is it provides a chance for more people with a more measured driving style to have a go in the battle for top spots. While I'm against this in the real F1 with current Pirelli tires, it's something I approve of here. Personally my style does anything but look after the tires, but because of that it is a good challenge to try and learn to drive differently.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:34:35 AM +0100 by Hristo Itchov » Logged

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 09:27:13 AM +0100 »

BTW check out You Tube for superb footage of these cars

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 01:22:39 PM +0100 »

Kicking myself for missing this....was playing P&G at Cadwell, and having such a good time...forgot to look at the clock. Never mind, next one.   Sad

Question, do we have a chatroom online?....and if so, where, what, why....how?

I believe that we have Teamspeak but I don't partake. Can someone who does please provide Geoff with the info he needs?

BillThomas

We will rock you! Rock on.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 06:29:10 PM +0100 »

Disappointed, just couldn't get line/speed right.  Had good rattle between Armco which upset handling.  Being a masochist, pitted and had the lot fixed - proper job.  After a few more laps made pigs ear of turn one and finished up sideways on racing line with two indents hurtling towards me I quit.

Tony re tyre wear, what you wrote about tyres etc was what was at the back of my mind when I commented on my tyre wear run With x3.  I think we should do next couple of races set to normal - why race these wonderful cars under artificial conditions?  Enjoy!!  Grin Cool

Bill Thomas   wheelchair
Another one bites the dust
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 07:24:59 PM +0100 »

Disappointed, just couldn't get line/speed right.  Had good rattle between Armco which upset handling.  Being a masochist, pitted and had the lot fixed - proper job.  After a few more laps made pigs ear of turn one and finished up sideways on racing line with two indents hurtling towards me I quit.

Tony re tyre wear, what you wrote about tyres etc was what was at the back of my mind when I commented on my tyre wear run With x3.  I think we should do next couple of races set to normal - why race these wonderful cars under artificial conditions?  Enjoy!!  Grin Cool

Any other opinions folks?

Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 07:43:45 PM +0100 »

IMO because we run a (much?) shorter distance than they did in reality.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 07:55:36 PM +0100 »

But did they pit-in more often?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com