Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 29, 2024, 08:54:32 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S22JS Oulton Park: April 29, 2012
April 29, 2012, 10:38:02 PM +0100 - Oulton Park (GP 1954-72) - UKGPL Season 22 (2011-2012) Joe Shaw Memorial Trophy
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
kinghiro
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 2 +0.545
107.397mph
1 53:23.389
105.500mph
34 1:33.086
106.782mph
Firestone  
EvilClive
 HikiWazaRacing
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 3 +0.616
107.315mph
2 +1.874
105.438mph
34 1:33.040
106.835mph
Goodyear  
Al Heller
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 4 +1.105
106.751mph
3 +16.413
104.962mph
34 1:33.155
106.703mph
Firestone  
Ronniepeterson
 Clark-Hill Racing
Honda RA300 F1 1967 9 +2.808
104.834mph
4 +1L
100.696mph
33 1:35.572
104.005mph
Firestone  
Artiglietti

Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 1 1:32.008
108.033mph
5 +9L
105.144mph
25 1:32.825
107.082mph
Disco
Firestone  
Arf Arf Arf

Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 7 +2.209
105.500mph
6 +22L
102.125mph
12 1:33.428
106.391mph
Disco
Firestone  
clouds
 Shadows
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 5 +1.756
106.010mph
7 +25L
100.944mph
9 1:33.784
105.987mph
Disco
Goodyear  
b_1_rd
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 12 +31.541
80.453mph
8 +30L
91.903mph
4 1:40.386
99.017mph
Disco
Firestone  
JonnyO
 Team Coyote
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 11 +5.072
102.389mph
9 +31L
92.213mph
3 1:38.977
100.427mph
Disco
Firestone  
john roberts

Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 8 +2.712
104.940mph
10 +32L
95.485mph
2 1:36.522
102.981mph
Disco
Firestone  
Baab

Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 6 +1.978
105.760mph
11 +33L
91.547mph
1 1:46.905
92.979mph
Disco
Firestone  
fpolicardi
 Team7
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 10 +3.512
104.061mph
12 +6.027
86.733mph
1 1:51.667
89.014mph
Disco
Goodyear  
Gpg UKGPL

Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 13 13 DNS ---
---
Goodyear  

Moderator's Report

Tom Oulie (King Hiro) reigned at Oulton Park after a race-long battle with Clive Gardner and poleman Attilio Artiglietti. The Italian failed to stay the course allowing Al Heller to join his team-mate on the podium.

Clive's second place secured him the honour of being the first winner of the Joe Shaw Memorial Trophy.

Server replay time: 0h00m56s

John is on the inside line on the approach to the first corner and slows due to traffic in front. This allows Fulvio to draw alongside and then partially ahead as they exit the corner. John is unaware of Fulvio and so moves left to take the racing line out of the corner. The two cars touch and both drivers spin. Ronnie and Steve get tangled up in the aftermath.

This is a racing incident as Fulvio was in John's blind spot and therefore John could not be expected to know he was there.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 22 (2011-2012) Joe Shaw Memorial Trophy - Oulton Park (GP 1954-72) - Apr 29  (Read 6292 times)
Ross Neilson
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2012, 09:02:45 AM +0100 »

The teams' transporters head "oop north" to Cheshire and the challenging circuit of Oulton Park. Clive Gardner took the points lead at Brands Hatch after Attilio Artiglietti fell by the wayside. With just this race remaining several drivers could be the winner of the inaugural Joe Shaw Memorial Trophy.

Race listiGOR
ServerUKGPL_GPG
IP address62.195.32.131
Date29-04-2012
Race timeRace starts at 21:30 UK time
Qualifying timeBetween 30 and 60 minutes, starting no later than 21:00 UK time
TrackOulton Park
Mod67
Damage modelPRO
Race length34 laps
ReplayAvailable here

The red zone will be fully moderated for lap 1 only. For this event the red zone will be from the start line to the exit of turn 4 (Esso Bend). Other moderation will be on reported incidents only.

Chassis rules, schedule and standings can be viewed here. Please remember a driver cannot use the same chassis more than once in this series.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:40:51 PM +0100 by Ross Neilson » Logged

Racing as Ross Neilson 65/66/69 for Clark-Hill Racing
fpolicardi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 09:36:04 AM +0100 »

GPG server is set to 34 laps Long race.
Ciao

Fulvio Policardi
Team7 Driver
Ross Neilson
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 10:05:25 PM +0100 »

Thank you Fulvio.

john roberts
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 09:51:32 PM +0100 »

sorry for the little tap i gave you exiting turn one Fulvio , i didn't realize you were there . it was a real shame as we were not yet up to racing speed .

john

b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 09:55:57 PM +0100 »

Just over an hour ago I was a bit stuck for something to do so thought I'd pop in and see what was on.  Saw this race was due to go at 9:30 so hurriedly grabbed the wheel out of its box and throw it on the desk.  Did 2 practice laps of Oulton to see if I could still turn the wheel the right way and joined with 6 minutes left.  Ran off track on both quali laps and the 3 race laps that I got round and got disco'd!

Oh well!

I last drove in January so was a bit rusty and well off pace anyway.

Hope you had a good race.

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
Arf Arf Arf

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 10:15:48 PM +0100 »

What a weird night.

I haven't had a chance to practice for this race, just grabbed a Kyalami setup, and jumped in. Earlier this season I started a race with Qually fuel, and ran out early in the race. As such I am very careful to a load 'a' race setup right at the start, just in case. Tonight, I used race fuel to qualify. A bit daft, but at least it meant I was reasonably confident my race pace would be OK. Not quite sure how I ended up 4th on L1, but I amazed myself by holding this for about 10 laps, with KH in front, and Al behind. Its the first time in a long time that I've been in the position to be looking to overtake someone, but having to watch for a pass from behind at the same time. Really good fun...

And then I span. I missed a downshift coming into Druids, and put a tyre on the grass. That let Al through, but I was pleased to see I took a second out of him on the next lap. I actually thought I might be able to catch him and Tom (the drugs have since worn off). But then coming up to the hairpin my car didn't stop and I lost a wheel. Game over.

Now....

...there has been a lot of discussion on the PSC thread about the 'brake bug', and those that seem to know stuff about the inner workings of GPL say its a GT only problem...BUT. I don't think my braking was out of sync with what I'd done before, and before I disconnected I had a look at my tyre temps - absolutely fine. I might be grasping for an excuse and latching on the current favourite...but I don't think I did anything wrong. Forgot to save a replay, so looking forward to seeing what happened.

Arf
fpolicardi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 11:21:11 PM +0100 »

sorry for the little tap i gave you exiting turn one Fulvio , i didn't realize you were there . it was a real shame as we were not yet up to racing speed .

john

Np John, racing incident for me, I'm sorry for Ronnie ena Steve that were involved though. One lap later I clipped a brake marker before hairpin and lost a wheel. Sad
Ciao

Fulvio Policardi
Team7 Driver
kinghiro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 12:37:01 AM +0100 »

started my practice 30 mins before the race and was surprised to be so high up. Lucky lap I guess since I gave up keeping AA and Evil behind me. At 3 rd spot most of the race and thought I would finish there. Al was close behind, but he knows I will give him an OTK spank if he pass me and Al isn t into that. AA blasted the engine. I looked at your driving AA and although superb technique I think you torture the engine too much. I don t think you loose much keeping lower revs, the lot has nice torque.
Anyways I was about to settle for 2 nd when Evil decided to take a small nap on the SF  straight and woke up when car hit the wall. He recovered 3 secs behind me and now I really pushed a couple of laps to get my win. I managed to keep Evil behind although he gained some the last couple of laps. I could afford that Wink.
I m not a religious person, but if we come some place after this, I hope you watched from there Joe. Rest in peace mate.
Tom
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 12:41:01 AM +0100 by kinghiro » Logged
Artiglietti

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 09:04:39 AM +0100 »

My race was an uphill struggle from the start. I didnt really have time to try the car in pro mode, but when I blew  Shocked four (4) Shocked engines during qually, I felt the race was kinda doomed whatever I did. The shy flagman at the start first made himself invisible amongst the crowd,then dropped the flag when I was adjusting on my chair, resulting in me already chasing the 2 leaders at T2. Had another brilliant race with Clive, we even swapped positions owing to a mutual exchange of favours at Druids, but my 360 put me 3rd from 1st, as KH was cunningly waiting in the wings, unseen by anyone. Then, just when I was starting squeezing some serious speed from the green thing, the engine started smoking and I decided to park it. You are right Tommie, I had tried to moderate my downshifting in praccy yesterday, but when I was chasing Clive I kind of forgot about it...Then completely threw caution out of the window after my mistake, as third was doing nothing for my champ hopes, and really became careless, I have to give this enigne thing a serious look in the off season.

Grats to Tom for his deserved win, quick and consistent, thats how it is done. Also, big grats to Clive for securing the first Joe Shaw Memorial Trophy, well deserving winner and great representative for the league. Hope we can make this a regular somewhat (I mean the trophy, not Clive winning it.. Wink), so I will have another chance! It was good to be able to remember Joe's name here, he is one of those rare drivers who just need a few races to make their mark. We miss you mate.

See you all soon on track guys, thanks for the racing!

Al Heller
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 10:19:52 AM +0100 »

...there has been a lot of discussion on the PSC thread about the 'brake bug', and those that seem to know stuff about the inner workings of GPL say its a GT only problem...BUT. I don't think my braking was out of sync with what I'd done before, and before I disconnected I had a look at my tyre temps - absolutely fine. I might be grasping for an excuse and latching on the current favourite...but I don't think I did anything wrong. Forgot to save a replay, so looking forward to seeing what happened.

Hi Arf - for me, any braking issues with the 67's can normally be solved by tweaking the brake balance. For stability under braking I'd certainly also avoid any assymetric setups or even running unequal ride heights (though I know some people swear by that kind of thing...) 

Really enjoyed this race - close fastest laptimes at the front showed how evenly matched it was. Got myself marooned on the inside of T1 at the start & dropped 2 places to Sergio & Arf. After the race settled down, I started to try & find a way past Arf who in turn was trying to find a way past Tom but we were all pretty similar on pace so it was proving to be a really good scrap. Sadly Arf dropped out of the party & so I slotted in behind teammate Tom & followed his smooth race rhythm as we gradually closed on the leaders Clive & Art. A silly half-spin by me after clipping one of those solid bushes cost me about 10 seconds & try as I might I wasn't making any inroads into the gap but Art's smokey Lotus elevated me onto the podium. Bad luck Art. 

Very well done to Tom for the race win thumbup1 Congrats to Clive on being the inaugural winner of the series clap - very well deserved & as usual, achieved with a hard-racing yet gentlemanly approach that I think Joe would have appreciated (not to mention securing the win in a Brabham Wink ). Right, now get back in that white whale Clive - the holiday's over! 
Ross Neilson
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 10:56:33 AM +0100 »

Congratulations to Clive on securing the first Joe Shaw Memorial Trophy with an impressive three out of three podiums. You displayed the sort of speed and consistency that Joe did when winning the Works Trophy.

Also a big thank you to everyone who has taken part in this series. I hope this is something we can fit in every year, in some form or other, so we continue to remember Joe. He was one of the very best drivers we've had in this league but more importantly a top bloke who we all liked and respected.

malgrips

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 02:44:35 PM +0100 »

Congratulations to Clive.

I have a trophy and it will be my grat pleasure to present this in person.

Please let me know where and when we can get together to do this.

We have been overwhelmed by the wonderful tributes and response of the UkGPL community and wish to extend out thanks to all of you.

I will be delighted to support the JS memorial trophy going forwards in any way I can.

Thank you

Malcolm Shaw

"Its Work Jim but not as we know it"
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 03:12:02 PM +0100 »

Thankyou for your support Malcolm and for your offer of a trophy. Something that we have not seen in UKGPL for many years.

More important to me was that all of us here at UKGPL showed the how much we had enjoyed Joe's company by supporting this series. Even in our virtual world we could tell that he was a genuine guy and a great racer who will be missed.

I think that we live at opposite ends of the country, you in Essex and me in Bristol. I will probably have occasion to travel into London from time to time as my daughter has taken up a teaching post there. Paul (badblood) is insisting that I meet him whenever I get up to London so maybe we can make it a threesome? Alternatively although a little belated, I will be at Goodwood for the Revival and at the Silverstone British GP. When I know of any dates when I will be travelling in your neck of the woods I will post them here and let Paul know.

Thanks for all the applause guys ( but keep it down will you, Mrs Fujikawa has not sanctioned my participation in this series!!  Shocked).

I have to say that I feel somewhat humbled and honoured as the first winner of this series, because it was to remember a very special person. Joe was someone we all respected and whose company we all enjoyed. The chat room was usually the closest we got to him! on the track he was usually alone out front!!

I hope we never forget to run this as an annual event. We may only be racing in a sim, but it is just as competitive as the real world when we take to the track...maybe a fraction easier on the pocket?.

I would have undertaken the whole series in the Waza, but as the rules stated that we had to use a different car in each round, I figured "what the hell!" and just for fun I would try one blue, one red and one green car.

It has been so long since I drove anything but the Honda in 67's that it took a while to build a setup for each chassis that was even remotely useful.
Silverstone in the Eagle was not good and I really did not extract the best from that car, but still scraped a 3rd spot when really I should have been much farther down the field if I am being honest.

For Brands it was either the Brabham, Cooper or Fezza. I tried the Brabham and it felt sooooo different from the Waza that I took the Ferrari and spent a good few hours experimenting off line to find out how to make it work!!! Once again I was lucky in snatching pole and therefore a clear track ahead, whilst there were a few incidents behind that removed any threat. This allowed me a safe win when I expected a far tighter race on such a short circuit.

So to last nights race at Oulton park.

I did try the Lotus, but although it was quick I was very nervous about the reliability. I tried the Honda and was getting respectable times in 1:33's-1:34's but it was on a knife edge all the way. The Cooper just did not feel quite right, so I returned to the Brabham.

It was green and the default setup was a nightmare. So I threw out the whole suspension and gearbox and set about rebuilding the whole car to drive like a proper racing car , if I could have painted it white with a red stripe it might have been almost perfect Roll Eyes

The only thing I could not do was get 2nd gear as high as I wanted, and as a result was constantly spinning up the tyres out of the slower corners and having to quickly shift into 3rd. Gradually the times came down and all off line practice was done on an overfuelled race setup ( approx 45 laps worth ) until I was regularly putting in 1:33's. Some further tweaks to ride height and bump rubbers made the car more and more predictable. All of those laps also honed my braking points and lines through the more awkward corners until I felt I was not going to get any better.

I had guessed that Art would go for the Lotus as probably the fastest car around Oulton ( or anywhere for that matter) and was more than a little concerned that with the lap record of 1:28 he might be some 3-4 secs a lap quicker if he was at his best. I had also worked through all the permutations of points and positions to see what was the minimum I needed to achieve to finish top of the table. Gee !!! it was close.
If any of the top 5 cars won it was possible with a few DNF's for any driver to snatch the title, so the first thing was survival. Art was obviously the biggest threat, but it did not matter where he finished as long as I was directly behind him. Of course, that meant if he won then I had to finish 2nd!!  easier said than done with some of the talent on the grid  Undecided

3rd on the grid was probably about as good as I could have hoped for, because my qually setup was just my race setup with less fuel and Tom and Art's time were in unknown territory for me. But I had just squeaked in front of Al, who would always be a problem to get past in a race  Wink.
If I was to have a chance I had to be on Art's tail from the start. The only problem was that I had Tom between me and him!!!

The start was a bit of a pantomime and when I Art stalled off the line, I just had to move across onto Tom's tail and take the inside at T1. I can assure you that my buttocks have rarely been clenched as tightly as that in any GPL race. Moving across off the grid is fraught with danger and a tap from behind would have ended everything before T1...... eek  But we slipped around the inside of T1 and I was doubly surprised ( and secretly pleased) when Art backed off on the outside and dropped in behind me  Wink.

Tom was either very worried about cold tyres or the heavy fuel load on lap 1 whereas my Brabham felt solid and hooked up immediately. I knew I could go faster if I could just find an opening. The longer I waited the quicker he would get as his tyres and confidence warmed up. Lap 2 and he was already speeding up, plus Art had recovered and was getting closer....not my ideal scenario sandwiched between 2 fast guys both in a Lotus!!!. On the first laps I had already sussed that Tom was braking very early for the hairpin ( well, much earlier than I was  Roll Eyes) so I set up a possible pass by giving it some serious wellie out of the long left hander and aiming my car down the inside.

If he moved across I could still slow it down enough to avoid contact and when he did not, it was just a case of waiting for him to brake first and going through. (It seems that Tom had decided that I was too dangerous to have on his tail and had decided to let me through anyway. I was hoping that he would present more of a problem for Art and his Lotus and allow me to escape and build a lead. But within 2 laps Prib showed Art in 2nd..shucks!! and I already knew how quickly he could go by his qually time.  Undecided

From then on it was a case of concentration on every braking point, gearchange and apex to try and maintain the pace and hold that gap back to Art. Maybe, just maybe I could tempt him into over cooking the engine as he tried to catch me. All those years racing the Waza have at least taught me how to protect an engine...thanks Mrs Fujikawa!!

For lap after lap the gap hovered around 200mtrs until I momentarily lost concentration and ran wide... Art was through!! Still all was not lost because I was right behind him  Grin.  I kept the pressure on willing that Cosworth engine in front to make some nice smokey shapes, but instead Art chose to spin on the exit of Druids...not perfect but it would do  Wink
Once again there was a 200mtr gap and it stayed that way for several laps until Prib suddenly announced that Art was gone and TOM was behind and VERY close and getting closer by the lap!! Where the hell had he come from!!!.
In my confused state I actually looked at the pitboard, totally missed my braking point for T1 and used the grass banking and the advertising hoarding to complete the turn. Meanwhile Tom took full advantage and swept through to take the lead. For the next lap I was pre-occupied checking Prib to see where Art was and allowed Tom to stretch his lead, although he had such pace in his Lotus that even when I returned to full concentration I could make very little impact on him, so he easily held the lead to the flag and a well deserved win.Proving that a little patience early in a race can generate some good results at the end.

A little disappointing to see that so few finished the race, but all I can say was that it was never relaxed at the front not even for a single lap.

I hope that we have offered something that Joe would have enjoyed and the races were conducted in a truly competitive way that reflected the way in which he approached GPL.

R.I.P. Joe you showed us how it should be done, now all we have to do is practice until we can drive as well as you did.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:22:27 PM +0100 by EvilClive » Logged

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 05:20:15 PM +0100 »

Very sorry I missed this one Sad

The Citroen 'drowned' so I spent most of yesterday pulling the engine apart to see if it would ever run again. 4 hours later and I most deffinatly have bent bits in the valve train!

Was too knackered and wet to take part after that I'm afraid and spent the night looking for replacement cars and getting quotes etc. Sad
Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 05:27:29 PM +0100 »

Np John, racing incident for me, I'm sorry for Ronnie ena Steve that were involved though. One lap later I clipped a brake marker before hairpin and lost a wheel. Sad
Ciao

No problem Fulvio/John, and apologies to yourself and Steve, these things just happen sometimes. Sorry about our coming together in qualifying John, at least on the second occasion I came upon you I had a better idea of where you would break and managed to avoid you. Please don't let it affect how we race each other in the future.

To echo the words of Clive in a post above, it was an honour to drive in this series in memory of Joe. Top bloke, top driver and a top series which I look forwadr to supporting in the future. Well done to our champion Clive and everyone who competed last night and in the earlier rounds.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com