Quarterly cost: �0

April 23, 2024, 10:12:29 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
Forthcoming
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S2267P Road America: April 29, 2012
April 29, 2012, 10:01:42 PM +0100 - Road America (Full) - UKGPL Season 22 (2011-2012) Privateers (67)
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Ross Neilson
 Clark-Hill Racing
Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 1 2:13.563
---
1 50:11.066
---
22 2:15.066
---
Firestone  
Phil Thornton
 Antipasti Racing
Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 7 +3.651
---
2 +37.434
---
22 2:15.120
---
Firestone  
HendyNichols

BRM P115 F1 1967 2 +1.453
---
3 +45.713
---
22 2:15.440
---
Goodyear  
Rainier
 Black Night Racing
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 6 +3.081
---
4 +54.187
---
22 2:15.917
---
Firestone  
s2173
 Team7
Honda RA300 F1 1967 4 +2.581
---
5 +1:10.446
---
22 2:16.839
---
Firestone  
bernie
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 9 +6.794
---
6 +1:53.725
---
22 2:17.939
---
Goodyear  
francesco
 Antipasti Racing
Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 10 +7.968
---
7 +1:56.517
---
22 2:19.292
---
Goodyear  
dave curtis

Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 5 +2.801
---
8 +2:02.030
---
22 2:17.249
---
Goodyear  
Allan Davis

Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 3 +1.480
---
9 +7L
---
15 2:16.360
---
Goodyear  
Nigel Smith
 HikiWazaRacing
Honda RA300 F1 1967 12 +11.123
---
10 (+2) +13L
---
9 2:21.165
---
Firestone  
il_lupo_mannaro
 Black Night Racing
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 8 +4.849
---
11 +17L
---
5 2:19.091
---
Goodyear  
Michael Turner
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 11 +8.163
---
12 +18L
---
4 2:23.784
---
Goodyear  
dave curtis

Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 13 DNS ---
---
Goodyear  
2 UKGPL_T7

Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 14 ---
---
Goodyear  

Moderator's Report

A comfortable win for Ross Neilson secured the Privateers Trophy despite another second place for Phil Thornton, his fifth of the season. Hendy Nichols took the final podium place to cap an excellent second half of the campaign.

Server replay time: 0h01m50s

Nigel brakes later than Michael as they approach turn four and hits the rear of his car.

This could have been classified as Blatant Rear End Shunt but it appears Nigel tried to go right in the hope of avoiding Michael so I've chosen Simple Rear End Shunt instead.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 22 (2011-2012) Privateers (67) - Road America (Full) - Apr 29  (Read 7906 times)
dave curtis
UKGPL Server Provider
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 08:41:15 PM +0100 »

I see the replay looks to be available for download,  but that link is not working for me.  Anyone else having the same issue?
[just wanted to see how it turns out, so I know if it's worth turning up or not...Wink ]

Cheers,
Dave.
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 08:59:31 PM +0100 »

Dave it will only be uploaded after the race  Smiley
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 09:11:28 PM +0100 »

Having a bit of trouble with chat in IGOR.  I can't see the UKGPL chatroom and I can't see the server either  Sad
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 11:00:52 PM +0100 »

Thankfully the server appeared Grin.

Like Dave I didn't realize this was a new track, I too had assumed it was Road Atlanta Roll Eyes.  Downloaded it with half an hour to go and set about learning the track.  It took a while because some of the corners look very similar.  I took it easy in qually and just tried to learn the track and gradually speed up.  I ended up 7th on the grid a long way behind Ross who set a stunning pole time. 

Got a good start and picked up a couple of places on the way down to turn 1.  We had a decent freight train going and I managed to pick up a few more places as people spun off in various places.  I had my own fair share of spins but thankfully my car didn't get badly damaged so I didn't have to use my shift-R safety net.  At the end of the race I had a battle with Hendy who was working miracles in the BRM.  I finally got into second place after Hendy went wide on one of the tight left handers.  There was no way to catch Ross he was miles ahead.

Grats to Ross on a fine win and a well deserved championship (moderating pending but I'm sure there will be no problem with that).

This season has been one of the most competitive I've raced in, really great fun with some very fair driving and great performances.  Any one of a dozen drivers could have won but I think the best man came out on top in the end. 

Looking forward to another season in the privateers.  Oh, and I hope this track remains on the calendar, I really like it Wink
Ross Neilson
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 10:50:07 AM +0100 »

Sorry everyone for the late start, we had some technical issues. Many thanks to Fulvio for helping me out and ensuring the event went ahead only a few minutes late.

As for the race itself I have to admit to being very nervous early on in qualifying, that probably sounds silly but I've lost a title battle at the last round before and didn't want do so again. Once I settled down it became clear I had a reasonable pace advantage over the pack who were not as familiar with the track as me.

I got away cleanly from pole but was being conservative on cold tyres and let Allan past at Canada Corner on the first lap, he was looking pretty quick in the Brabham at that point and I didn't want an accident. After Allan went off I had a small gap back to Hendy and concentrated on consolidating that. From there it was a lonely run to the finish and a case of keeping my concentration.

I'm delighted to win the series overall especially as Dave and Phil have challenged all the way to the end. Not sure what plans I have for next season yet but I hope to be racing both of you again somewhere or other.

Racing as Ross Neilson 65/66/69 for Clark-Hill Racing
francesco

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 11:33:12 AM +0100 »

The last race for me was a fight with Darwin but a fight to the last error between us.Unfortunately the last error was mine and at the last curve. Sad
There is in program a Season with the F2 mod?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:34:58 AM +0100 by francesco » Logged
dave curtis
UKGPL Server Provider
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 11:48:39 AM +0100 »

Like Dave I didn't realize this was a new track, I too had assumed it was Road Atlanta Roll Eyes.

Well, glad I was not the only one;  although rocking up at the download site 30mins beforehand really is showing off!

I was somewhat surprised to have found myself 5th after practice/qually.  That was surely not going to last long!  Then inheriting 3rd - that REALLY was not going to last long!  It didn't either; pop went the engine on lap 3.

So maybe that was the advanced damage model Smiley punishing me for early downshifts/poor 'technique' generally.

So after a reset, was back down in more familiar position of 10th, then 11th after stop'n'go.

I then tried to drive it as if I had bought it with my own money [privs, right?!]  &  running it in.   However, I still managed to damage every corner of the car;  was surprised that one of the many contacts did not take a wheel off.  From offline practice,  it seemed as if any minor brushing of scenery resulted in one of them popping off.

Was then a case of trying to get to the finish & [admittedly, not very sportsman-like!]  maybe I'd pick up a bunch of places due to retirements.  Didn't happen in the end - maybe I was expecting others to drive like me!  So was unable sneak by Geoff at the end of the season.

From lap3,  it was quite lonely at the back of the runners until the end. Still enjoyable all the same.

Oh, and I hope this track remains on the calendar, I really like it Wink
Actually, after running at an event here - I also quite like this track!

Just curious - does anyone else get the green barrier thing in the distance?  By the time I get nearer to a corner,  the textures are applied,  but prior to that barriers in the distance are just green.   Not aware of seeing this anywhere else.  Maybe because of the converted-ness of this track;  or maybe it's just my machine...

Cheers all for the run.  Congrats to the podium & the season champion!
Dave.
HendyNichols

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 06:44:59 PM +0100 »

Well done Phil! The first pass I figured you would make a mistake eventually if I just stayed close enough. But at the very end there I couldn't keep it together enough to hold my position. Great climb for you 7th to 2nd!

Are the final standings calculated anywhere?

Maybe next season I will use the Honda.
Allan Davis

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 09:05:09 PM +0100 »

Downloaded the track a few days ago and had a pracy in the Brab, as that's all I could afford.  Started in the 2.25s but got that down to a 2 15 03.   Did five laps in Qually with a best of 2 15 04.  good enough for third. Then did one lap on a full tank to see what it was like.  Retired to the pits with about ten minutes left to let my heart rate recover before the start.   I got good traction off the line and passed Hendy before turn 1.  I was catching Ross fast but as he was hugging the inside line,  I didn't think it a wise move to try and run round the outside on lap 1 with cold tyres so I backed off and followed him until the end of the lap when I got a good run through the Kettle Bottom and dived down the inside into Canada.   I managed to make that stick and was a second clear as we crossed the line to start Lap 2.   I was just getting into a nice rythm when at the end of the lap, I must have turned in a little too aggressively at the last corner leading onto the pit straight.  The back end came out, I put on full opposite lock, expecting to be able to catch it easily but it stubbornly refused to come back and I very very slowly spun.  By the time I had collected it and got away again, Phil and Dave Curtis had gone through.  I set out after them.   Dave's engine let go on the long run out of turn 3 and I was past him back up to 3rd and closing on Phil.  Hendy was now on my tail so I pushed on getting a good run down to Canada and nipped down the inside of Phil's Ferrari.  I thought he would draft past me again on the pit straight but he wasn't quite close enough.  Back up to 2nd.    At the start of Lap 5, I was only 3 seconds behind Ross so I think he must have had a moment somewhere.   I tried very hard to catch him.  Phil had a quick spin going into Canada which gave me a little respite but then I got it slightly out of line, again, going into the last corner.  The tail end wasn't out very far but again it refused to come back.  I spun, without hitting anything but as I tried to spin turn to get it pointing in the right direction, the front right wheel fell off.   I had to reset and Hendy, Phil and Skymole went past.  I dived into the pits and took my S&G but not before Dave R, Bernie and Fabio had gone past.  Back to 8th.  Nothing daunted, I set out after them.  Fabio ran wide at the right hander before the 'chevy bridge' and then ran wide after the bridge and I was through to 7th.     At the start of Lap 7, I was 5 seconds behind Bernie and 10 seconds behind Dave.    Bernie ran wide on the left hander going down the hill before the Carousel and I was through to 6th.   Our battle had reduced the gap to Dave which was down to 4 seconds at the start of Lap 10.  Lap 11 it was down to 3 seconds .  Lap 12, 1 second.  Dave had caught Skymole in the Honda and coming out of turn 1, Skymole got into a 'Tank slapper' under accelertion and spun off.  (5th).  I was now right on Dave's tail. I got a good drive out of the Carousel and nipped down the inside into the next right hander but Dave wasn't giving it to me that easily and came round with me on the outside.  We went down the straight side by side but he had the inside line for the next Left hander and I couldn't see us both getting through there flat out in top gear and he was slightly ahead so I backed off a bit.   I got good traction out of the last corner onto the pit straight and drafted past but then went too deep into turn 1 and, while I was collecting it, Dave slipped through on the inside and I had to follow him for the rest of the Lap.  I was just about in his slipstream on the Pit straight and he was on the left so I couldn't resist the temptaion to have a dive down the inside into turn 1.   Couldn't get it slowed down enough and slid wide on the grass on the outside and had a quick spin. I was away again thinking that Dave was now way up the road ahead of me and it wasn't until I had a glance at my pit board a lap or two later that I realised that I was ahead of him.   Having looked at the replay I think he was probably distracted watching me make a mess of it and went off himself.  We didn't make contact as far as I can see.
     Coming out of turn 3 on Lap 16, in 4th place, my engine let go and as I had already had a S&G, I pulled over and retired.   
 A bit disappointing after some great racing.  I very rarely drive the Brabham.  I had the same type of spin at the last corner in practice so I should have known that it gets a bit 'tail happy' there.   I am left reflecting on what might have been if I'd taken the last corner with a bit more care.
     Really enjoyed racing with you guys.   Hope to be back for more if my heart will stand it.
Allan
s2173

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 10:24:31 PM +0100 »

Well, next season it might be a good idea to try to focus on only one car... because lately i find that I dont know well enough any of them. They still give me nasty surprises, like the steering of eagle getting really "light" after slight bumps, and that wierd power oversteer that goes the other way around in the honda and brm... also the inevitable swap of sides after certain angle in honda and braby.

Anyway, I dont regret for picking honda, because she has sturdy enough suspension to handle alot of abuse and wall hitting... exacly what I needed for track like that.

Who is the living, loving city of people without faces? The elevator is screaming in his claws.

The Red City, 43 Novctober 2173.
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 10:40:19 PM +0100 »

Well done taking the championship Ross - against some very good competition.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 11:11:13 PM +0100 »

Are the final standings calculated anywhere?
Yes, here
Artiglietti

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 11:16:29 PM +0100 »

Yep, congratulations to Mr Neilson for taking his first and long overdue championship. And clinched in some style too, well done!  thumbup2
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 11:52:30 PM +0100 »

They are only final when moderation occurs - if Phil can organise a late DQ for Ross he'd take the championship... now who is moderating this one?  Grin

WD Ross.  Smiley

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 12:05:55 PM +0100 »

Never quite got the hang of this track , I was hoping to do better but with no benchmark times to aim at my heart sank when I saw the qually times posted by the front runners , way out of reach leaving me well off the pace . Pretty sure now after watching the replay where I was losing big chunks of time .

Highlight of the race was the late battle with Francesco , not sure which of us crashed out the most times as we passed and re passed each other but as he says above I had the good fortune to be the last man standing

Congrats to champion Ross and big thanks to the admins and mods for organising the series , looking forward to the next  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com