Quarterly cost: �0

April 24, 2024, 04:58:02 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another Gt fun race with Pitstops  (Read 6248 times)
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2012, 07:56:11 PM +0100 »

Yeah Fester, my pitstop was ok but I had to wait for a car, who was just 150m behind when I wanted to rejoin.
The following laps were with some mistakes. I saw that I was fallen down from a 2nd to 8th place...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 07:58:10 PM +0100 by Cookie » Logged

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2012, 12:48:02 PM +0100 »

Fester, the mirrors in the Gt's are as much use as a stick to push fog!!! 

There is a small patch available called a "virtual mirror" which can be loaded into each cars file and it gives you a decent rear view. This may not be totally historically accurate as the rear view in those GT's was pretty dismal ( but at least they could turn their heads to get a look??!!)

But in the interests of fewer incidents of SMIDSY, we recommend that everyone uses this little extra.

Someone must know where you can download the patch and will surely post it here......please  Wink

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2012, 01:53:44 PM +0100 »

You get them here: http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=6680&view=findpost&p=60120

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
fester

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2012, 02:03:09 PM +0100 »

Clive, thanks for reminding me. I'd downloaded the virtual mirrors patch and one by Ginetto that gives the Mirage a bigger mirror over a year ago. I'd forgotten all about them but found them on my old PC.

I haven't got a link though.

I ache therefore I am
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2012, 02:49:50 PM +0100 »

I have spent the last few hours looking at the race results and the pitstops and here are my observations so far.

Some of you quite rightly questioned the length of some of the stop times. This was after all a "test" race to check the calculations.

As I have said before all stop times are calculated back from either the current WR times or from the fastest laps that I can find that have been recorded for a particular chassis. The intention is to make the fast drivers work harder through the races and not relax after half distance. This system is not intended to handicap the driver, just to equalise the performance of the cars so that if 2 drivers of equal ability take a Porsche and a 2F they should arrive at the chequered flag together provided that they both extract the maximum from their cars throughout the race.
So, It is worth bearing in mind that the results should still show the fastest driver on the top step of the podium regardless of which car he drove.

Looking at some of the top finishers and their races in detail ................

Mark Barresi chose the Mk1 Ford and did not have to make a stop. This car is generally the slowest car at many circuits, but I have a sneaky suspicion that it is because it has largely been ignored by many drivers in favour of more exotic machinery. So the laptimes shown as WR may not true indicators of this car's relative pace.  

In the Rouen race Mark was "averaging" WR pace, so on some laps he must have dipped below the current WR somewhere I suspect. Mark also had an incident free race and came home with a very comfortable margin.

Sergio in 2nd spot had the Porsche and was about 21 secs behind, but his average lap time ( excluding the pitstop) was about 1.5 secs of WR pace so he would have lost approx 25 seconds to Mark through the race.

Tommie chose the 2D Chapp and his average lap time ( again excluding the stop lap) was approx 2.5 secs off WR pace, plus it appears from the replay that he had a slow lap towards the end of the race where he lost an extra 3-4 secs,  so in theory he should be about 45 seconds behind Mark.  Which he was.

Before you all jump on me and point out that it is not reasonable to expect drivers to lap at World Record pace....I agree.  Roll Eyes The thing that upset these results was the current benchmark for the Mk1 Ford  and Mark B's ability to run a whole race at that current WR pace. Everyone else was some 1.5 secs + off WR pace.
Now, either Mark is a true alien with tentacles and green skin or, the WR record time for the Ford GT Mk1 at Rouen needs correcting.

The other issue is how easy is it to drive a Porsche at close to WR pace for a whole race compared to say the Ford GT Mk4?? and I might "fine tune" the spreadsheet to allow for this.

To be fair to Mark, he is very quick and I would expect him to be challenging for podium positions in any race. His performance actually proves the calculations in the spreadsheet to be somewhere near correct with the data that was used.  
If I update the spreadsheet with an estimate of a more accurate WR record time at Rouen for the Mk1 Ford to around 2m 2.5 secs it makes a significant difference to all the other cars stop times, effectively reducing Mark's winning margin by some 17-20 seconds. If a WR is posted at around 2m 02secs then he would lose another 8.5 secs advantage.

Tommie was 45 secs behind at the finish in his 2D, so if we take away the 5 second mistake + 28 secs for a revised Mk1 WR he might have been only around 10 seconds behind at the finish.

If you make a mistake, or get held up behind a competitor, somewhere in the race it will cost you time and that will really make a difference at the end, just like true endurance racing. Ask those guys at Le Mans this weekend?

I fully appreciate that when you look at the pitstops for any race you might decide that some cars are too heavily penalised and decide to opt for a more attractive package, other drivers might see it differently.... that is why there is a free choice  Grin.

Season 23 GT Team races will be using Rouen, but expect the pit times to be slightly different when that race is announced.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
clouds

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2012, 08:04:56 PM +0100 »

I've tried for 3 hours the Mk1 because I would like to race with that car like Marco B. have done but at last doing so I would loose the chance to try the pitstop during the race that for me is a almost new thing. What can I say is...during the 3 hours passed testing the Mk1 I've noticed I had the same pace as I had with my Porsche obviously faster along straights but slower along turns. The paces are reasonably equals at least in my experience.  Wink

Sergio "Clouds" Lonzar

...Houston, we've had a problem here!

Jack Swigert, April 13rd, 1970. Apollo 13 on the way to the moon.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com