Quarterly cost: �0

March 28, 2024, 08:38:32 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S23Int Spa: September 11, 2012
September 11, 2012, 09:36:22 PM +0100 - Spa (GPL) - UKGPL Season 23 (2012) Intermediates Trophy (65)
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
NHance
 Mountside Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 2 +0.067
144.795mph
1 44:22.945
142.111mph
12 3:40.249
143.184mph
Goodyear  
bernie
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 3 +1.202
144.044mph
2 (+1) +10.658
141.545mph
12 3:39.074
143.952mph
Goodyear  
Rainier
 Black Night Racing
Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 6 +2.605
143.127mph
3 +19.965
141.054mph
12 3:39.541
143.646mph
Dunlop  
il_lupo_mannaro
 Black Night Racing
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 7 +2.854
142.966mph
4 +23.326
140.877mph
12 3:39.704
143.539mph
Dunlop  
Ross Hawkey

BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 9 +4.722
141.765mph
5 +32.504
140.398mph
12 3:41.962
142.079mph
Dunlop  
Clutch4
 Mountside Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 5 +2.276
143.341mph
6 +40.801
139.967mph
12 3:40.158
143.243mph
Goodyear  
s2173
 Team7
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 1 3:37.732
144.840mph
7 +1L
139.592mph
11 3:39.204
143.867mph
Goodyear  
HendyNichols

BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 10 +7.653
139.921mph
8 +7.879
139.151mph
11 3:40.963
142.722mph
Dunlop  
JonnyO
 Team Coyote
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 4 +2.138
143.431mph
9 +5L
135.259mph
7 3:41.273
142.522mph
Disco
Goodyear  
Ronniepeterson
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 8 +3.024
142.855mph
10 +11L
136.161mph
1 3:49.162
137.615mph
Disco
Dunlop  
2 UKGPL_T7

Honda RA272 F1 1965 11 11 DNS ---
---
Goodyear  

Moderator's Report

Little bit of bumping and bashing in the Red Zone but nothing too damaging.

Server replay time: 0h00m54s

Fabio takes a tighter line into Eau Rouge than Hendy. Hendy is sliding wide and a bit of warp knocks Fabio across the road.

Hendy does not steer right and at no times is Fabio's car visible. This is just one of those times where drivers need to leave themselves room.

Server replay time: 0h01m18s

Bernie gets a good run on Norm to Les Combes but just over rotates a shade too much and the GPL Collision detector kicks in.

Server replay time: 0h37m03s

Bernie has outbraked himself at Blanchimont and gets on the grass. He does well to control it and comes back on to the groove. This squeezes a fast closing Rainier and they collide.

Bernie should have realised that David and that he would have lost speed. Having got all four tyres green, Bernie is rejoining (albeit only just). He should have been more careful.

The rules might indicate that this should be a large penalty but this is hard racing and it is easy to lose track. Bernie should have been more aware but David might have avoided the accident if he had conceded the corner which would probably have worked out better.

Bernie should have let David have the line and in this instance I think 1 place is sufficient punishment for a fairly minor transgression.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 23 (2012) Intermediates Trophy (65) - Spa (1947-78) - Sep 11  (Read 5151 times)
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2012, 11:29:13 AM +0100 »

The resumption of the season for the Intermediates Trophy takes us to Belgium and the classic track of Spa-Francorchamps.

This track was the fastest circuit in the world. The original triangle-shaped course used public roads between the Belgian towns of Spa, Malmedy, and Stavelot. The combination of massively fast speeds, poor safety equipment and the unpredictable weather made this track deadly in the 1960's. So much so that the Grand Prix drivers boycotted the race in 1969.

Jackie Stewart's crusade to improve safety in racing was set in motion by his crash there in 1966, when his BRM ended upside-down in the cellar of the farmhouse on the outside of the corner, with fuel gushing out of the tank onto the Scot, who had broken ribs to add to his misery.

Luckily for us GPL isn't quite so dangerous. We can enjoy the challenge of taking Eau Rouge and the Masta kink flat out without killing ourselves.

The Intermediates will race for 12 laps on this loooong circuit!

In line with the new handicapping system, only the series leader is chassis restricted. The others are too distant to require it! Since Spa is such a power track the restriction to a BT7 is loosened (just a bit).

Handicapped Driver(s)Allowed Chassis
RonniepetersonBT7 or Cooper

Please check the Season 23 pages for details regarding rules and the Intermediates Trophy pages in particular.

Qualifying may start before 9pm, if so, Reserve drivers should leave the server when 35 minutes of qualifying remains and only rejoin when 30 minutes of qualifying is left. This is to ensure that Full Time drivers get priority in joining.

Please restrict chat to pit messages if necessary, and this includes the end of the race, until all running drivers have completed the necessary laps.

The Intermediate Trophy races are run under Int Long rules and all incidents in the Lap 1 red zone will be moderated and reported incidents for the rest of the race, however the moderators reserve the right to review any incident. Drivers are reminded that they are limited to ONE Shift-R. The Red Zone will extend to the exit of Malmedy.

Please ensure you are aware of the new in-series penalties for this season. Details are here. Drivers incurring a penalty will receive a PM informing them of this."

Please submit incident reports within a week after the race so that the moderators report may be out before the next race.

Race List = iGOR
Server = T7_2
IP address = 62.149.202.168
Race date = 11/09/2012
Time = no later then 9:00pm UK Time (30-60 mins practice, race starts at 9:30pm)
Track = Spa (Papy)
Variant = 65F1
Damage Model = Int
Qualifying time = 30 minutes
Race length = 12 laps
RED ZONE = Lap 1 to the exit of Malmedy
Password: see above

65 Patch: The 2.02 Release of the 65mod can and should be used. You need a working installation of the 65 mod to install the 2.02 Update. All the 65 Mod files can be found here

Driver lists can be found on the championship standings page

Password: see above

« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 03:09:11 PM +0100 by BadBlood » Logged

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
Clutch4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 06:46:57 PM +0100 »

Hi BadBlood

Am i 'unhandicapped' for this race? I think i was handicapped to BT7/Cooper for the last race, but due to unforseen circumstances i was unable to make it, hence my none start has dropped me down in the Championship.

If i'm out of the handicapping zone i'll take my usual BT11, if i'm still handicapped then i'll take the BT7/Cooper - whichever the Mods decide. Happy to follow your decision.

Also, i'm guessing this will be the last time we drive this version of Spa, with the much anticipated release of the brand new realistic Spa67 on the horizon this year. Shame, but the new version looks incredible.

Cheers
Clutch
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 06:53:46 PM +0100 »

Yes Clutch - Free choice you lucky boy!

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
Ross Hawkey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 09:10:39 AM +0100 »

Glad I made this event.

Having had the summer break, I wasn't sure when the series resumed, and only logged onto the forum to check a couple of hours before the race, to find out that the answer was 'Now!' :-).

Practice/Qual:Found myself finding time throughout the sessions. All about being brave through the fantastic corners of the classic Spa circuit.  Plus getting somewhere like it on gear ratios (thx cookie for the pointer.  I'm not really sure how high I should be revving the BRM engine really).  Ended up on the back row, but in all of these races, it's where I'd rather start, to be able to see what unfolds ahead of me without worrying about what may be happening behind.

Race:To end in P5 after starting at the back was pleasing.  Of course, this relied on capitalising on a few mistakes/issues that other entrants faced, rather than outright pace, but it was a decent result for me nonetheless.

Ran as high as P4 at one point, but the steady Fabio Locarno gradually closed me down and passed me near Blanchimont. I was able to stay close for a while, but wasn't quick enough to keep with him.  Behind, I had Clutch and Skymole catching me (following issues), and with half the race to go, felt it was a matter of time.  Then with me getting into the 3m41's, and them maybe dicing a bit for position, I realised that I may be able to keep enough of a lead to get me to the line.  I was able to do this, despite seeing the gap dwindle lap by lap.

Great stuff, and hoping to be around for Riverside in a couple of weeks.  Thanks all.

Ross Hawkey
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 12:31:08 PM +0100 »

Well that was fun

Started from row 2 behind Sky (who had given out a pre start health warning) so had to negotiate his fezzer off the grid  which was going like it had a caravan in tow  , made a place up at Eua Rouge and then on the drag down to les combes I got alongside Norman which is were things went from very good to very bad  Roll Eyes my intension was to slot in behind Norm and get the draft down to Malmedy but we got a bit to close and I suddenly found myself spinning out of control , not sure if we actually touched or some lag helped , fortunately Norm was unharmed and able to carry on . ( In fact looking at the replay I dont think he felt a thing )
Was relieved to be able to carry on undamaged after the spin and amazingly caught up with the pack again , ( probably busy slowing each other down squabbling with each other  Smiley  ) after a few more dropped by the wayside my race became a 2 car battle for P2 with Dave's very well driven Lotus , we took turns swapping potitions , thrilling stuff ,  when in front I did my utmost to break the tow but the Lotus was always there . Norman wasn't  far ahead and at one point I was beginning to close him down but then Dave would turn up alongside and park his lotus in the gap between us , and so it went with the pair of us see sawing along for most of the race .
With 2 to go I outbraked myself going into blanchimont ( I had been practising the move on previous laps ) rode up the banking and back down onto the track , unfortunately re joining where Dave was using the same piece of road  (Sorry for that Dave , I had no idea were you were ) after the collision I was able to scramble away first and had an easy run to the flag and P2

Congrats to Norman on the flag to flag victory , you really should have waited for the rest of us ,  well done to all who finished , and commiserations to all those who didn't  Wink
Clutch4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 01:14:21 PM +0100 »

Always enjoy Spa. Its one of the few tracks, when not in traffic, you can make a quick grab for a drink on the run down to Masta.

Qualified 4th and that was all i had. Decided to play safe on Lap 1 and i think i was running a cautious 5th. As i entered La Source at the end of the Lap there were 2 cars in the road, got round them and found myself 2nd, with my Team mate NHance ahead in the lead.

In qually i had made a significant change to my set-up and altered the gearing just before the race. This turned out to be a mistake. As i followed NHance i noticed the Rev's were reaching engine wrecking levels, and also the car was slow to pull away on some corners. I tried to keep with Norm but was unable to grab the tow. Meanwhile, the guys with the tow, and outright speed, Dave and Bernie were all over me. Dave kept getting very close, but usually a 'one line only' corner would come to my rescue. Dave stuck his nose down the inside of Blanchimont a couple of times, but we both had that 'after you, no after you' misunderstanding whereby i was unsure if he was going to commit. I left him room, but on the 2nd occasion he tried this i went up the bank, lost traction and flipped the car. My fault.

After that i reset and took my S&G in the pits. This dropped me somewhere around 6th or 7th. Either way, i hooked up with Sky and as we towed each other round, we seemed to be catching those ahead. A rear wheel on the grass spun me out however, and though undamaged, i had to take it home to complete race distance.

Congratulations to the podium boys, all fully deserved. Special congratulations to NHance. So often a top qaulifier who gets some terrible bad luck in the races. Many don't know, but NHance is one of the older GPLers, so really does put in the 'set-up' hours to make sure he's able to stay in the mix and provide expert Set-up advice to the other Mountside team member - me. Well deserved vistory, on what i assume will be the last time we will race on this version of Spa, with future events being conducted on the soon to be released 'Spa67' i would hope.  Wink
NHance

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 05:34:58 PM +0100 »

I was a bit supprised to get 2nd on the grid. Went for it on my 2nd run to get pole but it was not to be. I always set myself a target qually time & I achieved that so if others are faster thats ok.

Nice to get a win but as always its subject to the Mods but don't think I did anything wrong. Bernie is right I never felt a thing but did see a car go off in the mirrors. Think there is a bit of warping there. I am always slow till the tryes warm up & amazed at others early speed so I was braking early everywhere on lap 1. Perhaps the point was proved when JonnyO booted it at the hairpin & spun out but full marks for reaction & staying still & letting us  through. When I saw team mate Clutch was 2nd I felt better as I knew he wouldn't jeapordise our positions with a reckless challenge. Watched Pribluda & gradually built a lead but it was obvious a real battle was going on with Clutch, Dave Rainer & Bernie reduced to 2 when Clutch had an off. Well done the podium & comiserations to everyone else.
Norm H
Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 08:08:59 PM +0100 »

Grats to the podium of Norm, Bernie and Dave. Also to all those who finished.

At the start of lap 2 I lost my internet connection, apologies if my disco hindered anyone. Also Sorry to Sky for our coming together at the Masta in qualy. Having got hold of a tow from Fabio in my coughing Cooper it was my best shot at a decent lap time. I hope you understand why I did not back off to let you pass. Great pole time by the way and sorry you could not convert it into a race win.

Spa in a Cooper was always going to be a long night so the early bath came as something of a relief, but I was frustrated and annoyed with myself. However, compared to Gareth who could not even connect I cannot complain. I hope you get sorted for the next race. See you all at Riverside.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 08:14:57 PM +0100 by Ronniepeterson » Logged
il_lupo_mannaro

Ciao, Sic! #58

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 06:08:20 AM +0100 »

A wooden medal within three and a half second from the bronze one in my first intermediate race... taz

Jokes apart, I like Spa and I had some time to practice before the race: I tried several cars but then I chose to get back in my old an reliable Italian red car.

I have only to complain with someone that made a Grosjean-like start throwing me against the right wall entering Eau Rouge: luckyly I hadn't any damage but I had to re-start from the back of the fields. cursing

Anyway, it was a nice race, even if I spent alone the most of it.

Grats to the podium, to everybody raced and to the race organization!

See you all at Riverside in the sunny California!

Fabio Locarno
---------------------------------------------
GPLRank +20.138
Monster of GPLRank +548.907
ChallengeRank +187.387
GPL65Rank +59.222
SadSadSadSadSad
-----------------------
garethhall
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 12:22:41 PM +0100 »

Glad to see my main competetors in the champ stading all scoring good points  censored
Real shame as i like spa and i'm sure i would have been at the sharp end.
still no idea of prob other than its a fresh install on an laptop, will be back to normal on old computer for riverside.
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 10:30:39 AM +0100 »

Mod published

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley