by SimRacing.org.uk  

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 19, 2024, 02:57:52 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: is Ford GT any better than the vette?  (Read 3498 times)
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2012, 04:28:09 PM +0100 »

Was thinking of buying the ford GT, is it better/easier to drive than the vette? Not that im having a big problem with the vette. Still dont like the 'slow speed want to spin' aspect, reminds me of the old GT1 bug, but otherwise having fun trying to tame it around silverstone.
Ford GT worth getting?

Has anyone got a setup for the vette (and GT) at Silverstone GP? Im doing the races/timetrials for it at present and struggling a bit with the setup i am using. 1:47 pB so far.

ps  SRF's at Brands hatch races are excellent fun  Cool
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 05:06:14 PM +0100 by Mark J » Logged

Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 07:58:40 PM +0100 »

The Ford's quite different in character - less grip in the faster corners, very sensitive steering, much more setup dependent. Personally I prefer the 'Vette but I swapped between them last season to get my "Classy" award (a full season in both) without too much trouble, and I've had some great races in both.

The low speed spin thing almost disappeared for me after the last tyre model tweak, but IMO the Ford is more prone to it than the Corvette so if it bothers you, you should probably stick with the C6 and save your pennies for the upcoming Lotus 49. Which will no doubt have it in spades. laugh

Has anyone got a setup for the vette (and GT) at Silverstone GP? Im doing the races/timetrials for it at present and struggling a bit with the setup i am using. 1:47 pB so far.

The 'Vette I never set up, I just take the iRacing fixed setup and (if in an open series) tweak the brake balance. If you're struggling, it's probably down to technique, not setup, which usually boils down to braking too late everywhere. Wink Just because you make the apex does not mean you're braking early enough. laugh

In the Ford I used pretty much the same setup all the way through last season, based on Kimmo Suominen's Road Atlanta setup. Grab it from the Team Shark garage. Again, slow in, fast out. These are big heavy cars with lots of grunt; get them stopped, get them turned, get on the loud pedal.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 08:02:55 PM +0100 by Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer » Logged

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 01:18:17 PM +0100 »

Thanks DG. Actually i thought i was braking very early for most corners because of the instability on turn in. Other vettes were divebombing me under braking which sort of proves that too! I did find a better/stable setup in the iR forums and used that in a race but i am woefully off the pace over a lap (upto 5 secs against Class A drivers around silverstone GP !) and found myself racing the GT Fords  Embarrassed which made me realise maybe im running before i can walk, racing in that car. Hence me now considering the slower GTF.
I found the Vette particulary bad at the two slowest corners meaning i really had to pussy foot around them, it just unnaturally tries to spin on its axis at mid apex like someone sprayed oil over your tyres! Quite frustrating when your keeping it clean around all the other fast corners. Roll Eyes

I did buy the GT Ford late last night so will give it a good go later, though i dont like the sound of that 'sensitive steering'.

Must say that despite being off the pace, i really enjoyed the race at Silverstone GP with 26 GT cars present. (My first with a iR GT car, hence the lack of pace!). Some dodgy driving up front and at the back though, despite most being A & B class drivers. Just love getting 4x contact when some other berk hits you  Sad

Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 06:16:04 PM +0100 »

Thanks DG. Actually i thought i was braking very early for most corners because of the instability on turn in. Other vettes were divebombing me under braking which sort of proves that too!

That makes me wonder if I should also mention the other trick in both the big GT cars - you can't get on the brakes fast like you would in a single seater or a prototype. You need to load the front up quite gradually (0.5 to 1s) otherwise the fronts will just lock. Until you figure this out it's quite easy to think you're braking at the limit when really you're just getting on the middle pedal too fast, and when it starts to click you suddenly find you can brake much harder than before through the middle of the braking zone.

I've gotten so used to it now that when I go back to the HPD I struggle to persuade myself to brake fast/late/hard enough. laugh

I suspect the Lotus 49 will have a similar feel, being free of that nasty downforce stuff. angel

Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 09:27:36 PM +0100 »

Only got a couple of taster laps in with the Gt ford so far. Seems okay other than the rather bizarre steering. I think ir need a bit of a re-look at the physics! A 1 ton car on fat slicks shouldn't be that sensitive! Seems a similar problem to the vette at slow turn in. But really haven't had a proper go with it yet. Sounds a bit weak compared to the vette, more like a road going version of the GTF.

Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 06:59:44 AM +0100 »

Only got a couple of taster laps in with the Gt ford so far. Seems okay other than the rather bizarre steering. I think ir need a bit of a re-look at the physics! A 1 ton car on fat slicks shouldn't be that sensitive!

Apparently it really is that sensitive! Shocked I have no idea what planet they were on when they chose that steering ratio... Roll Eyes

Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 03:52:31 PM +0100 »

I got some decent setups for the Ford GT off the Road car setups shop on the iR forums and they have transformed the handling, making it an enjoyable GT car to race with  Smiley It also looks mega in our Legends Gulf colours  Cool

Am just using it at Zaandvort (what a track conversion!) and its a superb combination  Cool  Anyone else doing the GT challenge series? Im a bit new to the party but it looks great with a full grid of vettes and Ford GT's.

Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 06:03:09 PM +0100 »

Anyone else doing the GT challenge series? Im a bit new to the party but it looks great with a full grid of vettes and Ford GT's.

I used to but stopped because of the standing starts.

Don't forget the Petit Le Mans 2.5 hour race on the 21st - I'm torn between the 'Vette and the FGT. Need to do some testing.

Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 12:56:53 PM +0100 »

Didnt know about Petit LM  Huh Two and a half hours driving these things would be a killer ! I find with the extra ffb and steering input i get cramp in my hands and pains in my shoulders/neck driving the iR cars, just in the 45mins races! I need to warm up properly  Wink

Ive seen a few driver complaining about standing starts, i prefer them. Its the general driving standards i am more disturbed by, vette drivers attempting to overtake at any corner/part of the track even when ridiculous to attempt. People trying to win the races at the first corner ala Grosjean etc. I found it surprising considering the 'incident' points they must be collecting. I dont understand the SR rating as i saw class A & B drivers with huge incident points getting low sr hits, and yet if i had a measly 2-4inc points i get a huge SR hit despite my lowly class C status. Huh

Having said that, once the handful of crazies got hit/did the hitting and retired early, the rest of the guys in my zaandvort race yesterday drove very cleanly...and quickly! Im still at the 'happy to finish with as low inc points as possible' phase but hope to build the pace up with more lappage.  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: