by SimRacing.org.uk  

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 25, 2024, 01:35:09 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IR still so near and yet so far? ...  (Read 6130 times)
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2013, 07:33:26 PM +0100 »

Opens dusty creaky old vault door  Tongue

anyone still using this?  Must admit after paying for yet another year sub and only just dipping my toes back in, im not sure I will renew it again.

I just don't get its aim and policy. It looks fantastic, the tracks are amazing as are some of the cars (whereas some are still dull!) but it just still feels disconnected from a racing community, real or virtual (though admittedly I may be looking in the wrong places for good racing).
After nearly 6? years, there still aren't more than 1 car of any class to race against another brand/make in the same class.  Roll Eyes  Sorry that's got be a huge faux-pas. Surely by now they could have had at least two GT cars or several road touring cars etc?

Its so frustrating, not just because of the amount of money I and many others have spent on it over the last 5 years, though that's bad enough! but because it has the capacity to be a stunning race simulator. I spent some time taking the Vette C6 around LimeRock after watching the Limerock round of the ALMS and its just superb to watch and listen to in the replays and makes all other race sims look 2nd rate, but its just not enough overall to make you come back time and time again imo.

Each time I fire it up, I do see the numerous improvements but never a great leap towards making a world popular racer. One day maybe eh?  Smiley This isn't an IR bashing post, more exasperation! as I want the damn thing to come good.

I did see Paul H and a couple of other names that used to race here were online last night. Where does everyone get their racing fix these days?

quicksilver384
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 08:00:18 PM +0100 »

I gave up on iRacing. just sticking to gtr2 and gtl. I play alot of euro truck simulator 2 though now lol
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:53:40 PM +0100 »

Opens dusty creaky old vault door  Tongue

anyone still using this?  Must admit after paying for yet another year sub and only just dipping my toes back in, im not sure I will renew it again.

I just don't get its aim and policy. It looks fantastic, the tracks are amazing as are some of the cars (whereas some are still dull!) but it just still feels disconnected from a racing community, real or virtual (though admittedly I may be looking in the wrong places for good racing).
After nearly 6? years, there still aren't more than 1 car of any class to race against another brand/make in the same class.  Roll Eyes  Sorry that's got be a huge faux-pas. Surely by now they could have had at least two GT cars or several road touring cars etc?

Its so frustrating, not just because of the amount of money I and many others have spent on it over the last 5 years, though that's bad enough! but because it has the capacity to be a stunning race simulator. I spent some time taking the Vette C6 around LimeRock after watching the Limerock round of the ALMS and its just superb to watch and listen to in the replays and makes all other race sims look 2nd rate, but its just not enough overall to make you come back time and time again imo.

Each time I fire it up, I do see the numerous improvements but never a great leap towards making a world popular racer. One day maybe eh?  Smiley This isn't an IR bashing post, more exasperation! as I want the damn thing to come good.

I did see Paul H and a couple of other names that used to race here were online last night. Where does everyone get their racing fix these days?

Your comments re the superb tracks and that "disconnected" feeling in iRacing echo my sentiments precisely.
 Maybe I was fortunate ( or just plain tight fisted enough?) to quit before I parted with as much cash as you probably have. Even though I still get e-mails from their marketing dept offering cut price deals to rejoin, I cannot see value for money in terms of the fun and competition that I want from a racing sim.  Undecided Maybe I am just not as serious a sim racer as some others?
So I have stuck with GPL, ironically the sim that iRacing was probably developed from almost 25 years ago lol. Just as others have decided that GTR2 etc fulfills their needs.

For zero outlay ( apart from a contribution towards race servers each year) I get all the fun I want and as you have commented, with races that are not single marque events. I can race single seaters /GTs and Can  Ams on mixed grids for free ( almost). OK the graphics although much updated from the original 1998 are still not up to iRacing standards, but appear to be good enough for a thriving sim racing comminity in GPL.

From my perspective, iRacing somehow contrived to make the best ( most realistic) race sim available but then managed to strangle its potential by deterring the numbers of members it needed to create "critical mass" of active members. For me it was the requirement to constantly buy more cars and tracks in an open ended purchase of the iRacing dream that made me pull out and I know of many others that also felt they were being milked.
I realise that the investment to create the awesome reality of the tracks and cars costs money and they wanted/needed a return on their investment but I think they would have been got better returns had they gone for more members first and created a vibrant community that would have sucked in all those who enjoy sim racing in all its forms world wide. Instead the never ending cost of new cars and new tracks deterred many from even trying a great product and many became disenchanted with what it became.

When it was launched I really thought we were at last getting the realism and quality that we all wanted and I was stunned at the product they had produced, compared to what was available elsewhere. But somehow that initial sparkle tarnished and I drifted away very quickly. I'm sure there are many who still have great fun and compete regularly in iracing, but it is not for me sadly  Sad

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 04:03:38 PM +0100 by EvilClive » Logged

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Walter Conn
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 11:25:53 PM +0100 »

I should credit iracing for their old policy to only allow people with steering wheels (They have changed the rule since). It was one of the motivating factors in my purchasing a G27 Logitech. Ironically, I never got around to trying iracing after I bought the wheel. I have been hooked on GPL, GTR2, and PnGv3. I know that iracing is a worth at least a trial membership to kick the tires, but it is hard for me to justify it at the moment.

Perhaps someone could answer, are there any iracing leagues that race in a euro friendly time zone? (that is the best time for me to race)

Sunday Driver
goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 12:02:11 AM +0100 »

I echo EvilClive's sentiments entirely on this. A money making machine of a business model which failed to deliver the fundamentals of simracing. I'm glad I got out early.

TOP TIP: READ THE RACE ANNOUNCEMENT Smiley
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 12:20:28 PM +0100 »

Well, more than money for me was not getting the feeling of "as real as it can get" - I didn't get the feeling it was a sim - and too much damage at first touch. IMHO in online racing with ping and lag issues you can't go for that little damage. Also, I got impression that real life cars are more durable than it was in IR. I may be wrong, of course but that's not the point. I wasn't being comfortable in driving and so I rather let my position to a (more) pesky driver than being accused of nerfing him off track. And where's excitement in that? Other thing was being put into race by where I was physically located. Being in South EU I was placed with East EU country members that I didn't know at all. Might just as well have been AI drivers for all I know. Wink Joke aside, there was also the lack of private leagues and training against people I knew and needed to try things - you can't try things with a random guy on the server.

Well, GTR2 feels better, even with only 5 racers on track. Wink
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 04:07:59 PM +0100 »

I am relieved to see that I was not the only person who did not want to cough up more and more cash.

But only 5 cars on track Truetom?? that surely must get lonely at times??  Undecided

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 05:18:25 PM +0100 »

It does. Undecided
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 11:19:26 AM +0100 »

I like iRacing specifically cause I race in the public IndyCar series every week and last season it was like running in a league, regular people and really fantastic quality of racing and sportsmanship. It's the only series I run in and only car I race with nowadays, but that's just cause I love it so much I don't feel a need to drive anything else.

If you find a series you like and find the races every week at the same timeslot to race in that works almost like a league. There are various leagues but the system is not well organised imho. However if you do find one you like then it works fine, it's just finding one that they don't make easy.

There is still no other racing game that comes close to the feel or quality of iRacing imho. There are so many incredibly varied series you can run in to suit your needs. The cost is quite high for a starter it's true, but subscription wise it's not much at all nowadays as there is at least 2 occasions every year where you can get subscriptions at half price or close to half price.

Suffice to say after 5 years it's the ONLY racing game I play (especially relevant as I have not much time to do gaming at all anymore).

It's not without fault, but then what game is. The important thing to me is that I like to play it and enjoy doing so and there is no other racing game that makes me want to play it anymore. Assetto Corsa looks interesting but I just don't see it getting a big enough following to be worth it. Time will tell and of course it will need a lot of tracks and cars you want to drive.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
Linus27

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 07:12:59 PM +0100 »

At the moment, I just dip my toes into IRacing now and again. I won't pay full price as the content is not strong enough but I did pay for a years sub for around £30. The problem I have is as mentioned above, the lack of cars. Why they didn't introduce some more solid spec racing cars like a Caterham, Clio Cup, Elise Trophy to keep us going until they added more content is beyond me and what has kept me away. I only play the MX5 and Kia at the moment. I do have the Radical but I can't find any races that run it on the tracks I have. I did buy Oulton Park and Brands but again, I can't find any races that run the MX5, Kia or Radical on these tracks so its a catch 22 situation. Instead they seem to add some random car that can't compete with anything else.

The future is looking good with the introduction of some more cars but for me they needed from the word go to focus on adding a Lambo, Ferrari, Audi R8 and Merc to join the Ford GT, Mac MP4 and Corvette to create a superb GT class. They need some more spec classes like Clio Cup, Caterham's, Elise's, Porsche Supercup, Mini Coopers etc. They also need to add more touring cars to go with the Kia.They now need to add something to race the Lotus 49, for example Honda RA300, Ferrari 312 etc.

Michael Boylan

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: