by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
March 29, 2024, 12:04:34 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • L14AMV8 Portland: June 30, 2014
June 30, 2014, 08:41:32 PM +0100 - Portland - UKGTL Season 14 American V8s
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
EvilClive
 Blue Moose Racing
Pontiac GTO (#65003) GTC-65 1 1:21.794
84.988mph
1 45:01.600
82.339mph
32 1:22.509
84.252mph
Firestone  
Erling G-P
 TEAM-GTLDK
Pontiac GTO (#65415) GTC-65 3 +1.098
83.862mph
2 +7.781
82.103mph
32 1:23.622
83.130mph
Firestone  
phspok
 Team Pseudo Racing
Ford Falcon Sprint 351 (#90) GTC-65 4 +1.493
83.465mph
3 +14.190
81.909mph
32 1:23.193
83.559mph
Goodyear  
Stefan aka Postal
 Legends Racing
Pontiac GTO (#65003) GTC-65 5 +2.859
82.118mph
4 +37.787
81.204mph
32 1:24.220
82.540mph
Firestone  
goldtop
 Kerb Crawlers
Chevrolet Camaro SS (#0) GTC-65 5 +38.605
81.179mph
32 1:23.417
83.334mph
Dunlop  
roguk
 Clark-Hill Racing
Chevrolet Camaro SS (#67028) GTC-65 9 +3.470
81.529mph
6 +1:27.588
79.754mph
32 1:24.832
81.944mph
Dunlop  
Wiltshire Tony
 Toyland Racing
Ford Falcon Sprint 351 (#56) GTC-65 10 +3.834
81.183mph
7 +1L
78.873mph
31 1:25.243
81.549mph
Goodyear  
Tibernius
 Prodigy Racing
Pontiac GTO (#65003) GTC-65 2 +0.903
84.060mph
8 31 1:24.259
82.502mph
fuel
Firestone  
BillThomas
 Kerb Crawlers
Ford Falcon Sprint 351 (#65) GTC-65 11 +4.883
80.200mph
9 +2L
75.199mph
30 1:27.807
79.168mph
Goodyear  
jmtautau

Chevrolet Camaro SS (#0) GTC-65 7 +3.003
81.978mph
10 +3L
73.546mph
29 1:24.980
81.802mph
Dunlop  
SpecialKS
 TEAM-GTLDK
Chevrolet Camaro SS (#0) GTC-65 8 +3.355
81.639mph
11 29 1:25.541
81.265mph
fuel
Dunlop  
SortedGeeza

Chevrolet Camaro SS (#67065) GTC-65 6 +2.900
82.078mph
12 +25L 7 1:24.264
82.497mph
suspension
Dunlop  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGTL Season 14 American V8s - Portland - Jun 30  (Read 6637 times)
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 10:18:09 PM +0100 »

Replay and results now posted.

Great turnout which I hope equaled an enjoyable evenings racing. Thanks everyone  thumbup2

Nice to have our latest driver jmtautau join us, welcome. Can you please fill in the drivers details part of your profile please, thank you. (Pouvez-vous s'il vous plaît remplir dans les pilotes détails dans votre profil s'il vous plaît, merci).

Oh and we wave bye bye to the Chevrolet Camaro SS.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 11:08:50 AM +0100 »

Very enjoyable race and great to see such a large grid.

Was delighted when I joined the server and saw that the local Camaro Club was there - that meant my preferred ride; the Pontiac would survive yet another round. However, just as I had posted a rather mediocre laptime, SneakyClive and someone else left and quickly rejoined. Was cursing under my breath "Bugger, bet those b**** are now in Pontiacs too..".  Sure enough, it now started to look like a Pontiac gathering too, but fortunately it was still outnumbered by Camaros.  Wink

Knocked a considerable amount off my pb in qualy, landing me 3rd on the grid, but still looking positively amateurish next to Clive's pole time. Got a decent start and slipped into 2nd.  Geezer hard on my case the first laps, but he was soon replaced by Matt on a Mission!
Slowly but inexorably, he reeled me in.  As he was the only one ahead of me in the Championship, he was exactly the one I least wanted to see getting bigger in my mirrors. Gap shrunk to 1 sec or less, when Matt's rear stepped out, coming out of a corner.  That gave me an extra second, and then to my relief, the gap slowly grew again. Stabilized around 5 secs after a number of laps.

With the threat from Matt seemingly neutralized, I still fully expected to see the gap to 3rd drop rapidly, once GoldTop made his way through the field. Never occurred though, and as the race wore on, I counted down the remaining laps, getting ever more hopeful I could hang on to 2nd.

Catching Clive was never an option, unless he made a mistake. That seemed unlikely though, as he appeared in total control, maintaining a 5 sec gap between us, and thus not really under pressue.

Matt and I now tied for 1st, with Postal close behind.  Looks like the stage is set for some exiting races in the rest of the season  Smiley

Cheers,
Erling
roguk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 11:26:59 AM +0100 »

Grats to Clive on win
Grats to Podium

What an enjoyment this race was, great track and the Camaroo ss was a beaut to drive, had a bad start i think Jmtautau in front of me missed his gears and i shot into the back of him sorry about that, first half of race some good close driving with Tony and Tibernius, 2nd half of race a bit lonely Tibernius took off in front and tony dropped back.
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 12:56:56 PM +0100 »

That was an odd one  Huh

Offline testing had me fastest in the Falcon by a good margin and further testing produced better times. Come race night and it became a complete turbot to hassle around the track. Great looking grid and pleased to note that turn 1, lap 1 wasn't a crash fest, well done driver's  thumbup1
Spent a lot of my race being a mobile roadblock to whomsoever was unlucky enough to find themselves behind me. Span off a few times and did manage a few fast laps but ultimately I felt that I could have done better here  :'(

Shame we lost the Camaro as I missed the chance to drive her but rules is rules. Anyone care to guess which two cars will be left to battle out the final event at Riverside?

During my track research for next season I have stumbled across some circuits that these cars will be great racing at so expect to see them again in Season 15.

Next up in this series is Lime Rock Mountain. Faster track than this'n (IMO) and with some corners offering great drifting opportunities. Looking forward to it so might start testing early.  Wink

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 01:19:07 PM +0100 »

I only chose the Pontiac because it seemed the quickest straight out of the box when I did some quick off line testing . Let's face it, I still know nothing about the various attributes of the cars in GTL, so I go with my first gut feel only. Unless Arnold and Mabel get involved.

One thing quickly became apparent with the Pontiac, and the setup that I was running. It had the potential to be very quick, but needed an awful lot of rubber to harness the power. Lime Rock might present a similar dilemma, especially with all those long fast right handers I can see the front left tyre melting inside 10 laps if pushed hard.  So Slime Crock might be a lesson in tyre management?Huh

It might just be the way I am setting these cars up that tortures the tyres, but it looks like everyone was suffering from lack of rubber towards the end of this race.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 02:39:19 PM +0100 »

Was a good race. I was catching Coyote for a while as he says, but I started trying to be kind to the tyres as they
were wearing annoyingly fast, I had the same sort of wear rate in the Camaro, so I don't think I was disadvantaged
I took the Falcon because it was the lightest, and it was quite good round here. Lime rock is to me a tight
twisty little track so the heavy cars may not be ideal  Huh

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 03:01:13 PM +0100 »

It's Lime Rock Mountain guys.....................not Lime Rock Park

Very different

Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 05:47:17 PM +0100 »

It might just be the way I am setting these cars up that tortures the tyres, but it looks like everyone was suffering from lack of rubber towards the end of this race.

I think that no matter what you do, 1500 kg of Yankie metal is going to take its toll on the tyres.  I tried all the available cars for this race, and they all seemed to suffer from excessive tyre wear.  My left front was around 30 at the end of the race  Shocked

Btw, for someone claiming to not know what he's doing, you're doing pretty darn well...  Grin

Cheers,
Erling
goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 07:56:10 PM +0100 »

Late decision to join this race so just picked the Camaro as I don't think I've raced one before. Started at the back and steadily made my way up as far as Postal in the Pontiac but just couldn't get a decent run on him to make a pass. I eventually got a bit too close in the chicane and had to jump on the brakes to avoid contact resulting in a spin and putting me back to square one.

Enjoyed the chase back and caught Postal again with a few laps to go who defended very well. Tried all my tricks and at one point thought I might sneak past as we approached traffic but couldn't quite make it count. Nice race  Cool

TOP TIP: READ THE RACE ANNOUNCEMENT Smiley
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 07:56:48 PM +0100 »

Btw, for someone claiming to not know what he's doing, you're doing pretty darn well...  Grin

Well I guess I have a few years experience of sim racing, but that has all been in GPL until now. So I am having to do most of these races by the seat of my pants. Although I try and keep an eye on the forums and enjoy the banter, real life does not allow me much time for any serious practice offline lately and much of my preparation is immediately before any race.

I might know some of the tracks that GTL uses ( although Portland was new to me) but the cars are all totally unknown territory.  I really am on a steep learning curve and only just beginning to feel the changes to setups in terms of how it affects the car in GTL or PnG. Also I have no experience of which cars are better or worse at various circuits, and have to guess at which one would be best to use based entirely on how they feel in a few laps off line practice.

By far the biggest new thing for me is tyre wear, because in GPL although you can overheat the tyres and lose traction, you can also ease back and cool them to regain control. Plus of course the tyre life is unlimited, they do not wear out, so provided you keep the temperatures within certain limits they never reduce in grip no matter how long or hard the race is. What a luxury lol!

Rank   Only when I sweat
Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 08:56:09 PM +0100 »

Well I guess I have a few years experience of sim racing, but that has all been in GPL until now. So I am having to do most of these races by the seat of my pants. Although I try and keep an eye on the forums and enjoy the banter, real life does not allow me much time for any serious practice offline lately and much of my preparation is immediately before any race.

I might know some of the tracks that GTL uses ( although Portland was new to me) but the cars are all totally unknown territory.  I really am on a steep learning curve and only just beginning to feel the changes to setups in terms of how it affects the car in GTL or PnG. Also I have no experience of which cars are better or worse at various circuits, and have to guess at which one would be best to use based entirely on how they feel in a few laps off line practice.

By far the biggest new thing for me is tyre wear, because in GPL although you can overheat the tyres and lose traction, you can also ease back and cool them to regain control. Plus of course the tyre life is unlimited, they do not wear out, so provided you keep the temperatures within certain limits they never reduce in grip no matter how long or hard the race is. What a luxury lol!

Well GPL is obviously a good teacher  Smiley   I never made it past the demo, which I found very fascinating, but excruciatingly difficult - don't recall ever managing a full lap without wrecking the car.  It's too far back for me to remember, but probably only had a joystick as controller, so may have been more manageable with a proper wheel instead.  Lol, non-wearing tyres, yup that would be a luxury indeed!

Quote from: Goldtop
Started at the back and steadily made my way up as far as Postal in the Pontiac but just couldn't get a decent run on him to make a pass

Lol, I could have told you that based on our Nürburgring race - he's friggin' impossible to get past..  Wink

Cheers,
Erling

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 09:44:53 PM +0100 »

I can't comment on whether GPL is or was a good training ground for other sims, but it certainly teaches you to look after the engine etc There is no way that GPL cars would survive the speedshifts I hear in GTL and PnG. Maybe that is where the luxury tyres balance out Huh Have to admit I only dipped into GTL and PnG over last Christmas as something different to play with.

Due to various things in real life that require my time and clashing with race nights in GPL, I was treating GTL as somewhere to relax and escape for an hour from all of the stress etc. it has certainly filled that gap  Wink

geez yes! a joystick in GPL would be a serious handicap IMHO.

But, there are still guys running on KEYBOARD or even MOUSE!!! I have to confess I am not too surprised when they try and modify the scenery  Roll Eyes

If you feel like giving it another go drop in on UKGPL, there is a new season about to start soon and always space for new members. If you check the forum there are several fun races between now and the start of the new season...(Nurby with 67 GT's on Friday!!).
 We have about 6 different mods running from the easy 65's and F2's ( an absolute blast!!) right up to the 69 winged beasts and then the 67 GT's and the awesomely powerful 71 Can Ams ( whoever thought that the idea of an 8 litre V8 strapped to a go-kart was a good idea needs locking up!!).

Rank   Only when I sweat
Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2014, 09:20:42 AM +0100 »

Quote from: Goldtop
Started at the back and steadily made my way up as far as Postal in the Pontiac but just couldn't get a decent run on him to make a pass

Lol, I could have told you that based on our Nürburgring race - he's friggin' impossible to get past..  Wink

Cheers,
Erling

[/quote]

Well that was not GT's incompetence in the Camaro that prevented him to make a decent pass. I just managed to DL this track before qualy and discovered i had no setup for the GTO, so loaded a set which i made for a Mercury Cougar (eeeekkkss) Checked if these settings looked like anything i would come up with and filled up the tank.
Luckely it was not a very hard track to learn, however managing to keep it on track on wearing rubber more so. This meant when i negotiated a turn i was using full lock left and right most of the time  Roll Eyes   I was using all of the tarmac indeed, so i can see i was a little difficult to pass. Will practice for next event though!
Enjoyed the racing guys!

School is important, but race cars are importanter
BillThomas

We will rock you! Rock on.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2014, 12:03:35 PM +0100 »

Night went better than expected, new PBs and finishing.  Towards end of race had a few laps in company with Kurt, other than that had lonely race just trying not to delay lapping cars - par for course.  Grin

Thanks for organising programme Tony, nice to see a bigger turnout.  rockon

Bill Thomas   wheelchair
Another one bites the dust
Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2014, 11:09:51 PM +0100 »

But, there are still guys running on KEYBOARD or even MOUSE!!! I have to confess I am not too surprised when they try and modify the scenery  Roll Eyes

If you feel like giving it another go drop in on UKGPL, there is a new season about to start soon and always space for new members. If you check the forum there are several fun races between now and the start of the new season...(Nurby with 67 GT's on Friday!!).
 We have about 6 different mods running from the easy 65's and F2's ( an absolute blast!!) right up to the 69 winged beasts and then the 67 GT's and the awesomely powerful 71 Can Ams ( whoever thought that the idea of an 8 litre V8 strapped to a go-kart was a good idea needs locking up!!).

Can't imagine how to play GPL with keyboard or mouse  Shocked

Thanks for the info and suggestion. Does sound tempting, but I'm already pressed for time with regards to GTL, so don't think I can cope with more - and GPL doesn't strike me as something you can do halfheartedly..  Wink

Would have to get hold of the game too - is that even possible in this day and age ?  Has the graphics and/or sound been updated, or is it still at 1998 level ?

Cheers,
Erling
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com