Quarterly cost: �0

March 29, 2024, 08:38:38 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S26 Le Mans Sarthe at Night: January 03, 2014
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 26 - Le Mans Sarthe at Night 1967 - Jan 3  (Read 5495 times)
liveclive

I play by the rules, my rules

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 09:17:42 AM +0000 »

N.P Walter,
 I was trying a totally new setup for the Mirage with demon tweaks by the Blue Moose backroom boffins. The result was a car that was capable of over 210mph on the Mulsanne with even the slightest draft, but needed some more development to cope with corners etc!.

I was hoping to start at the back of the grid ( something I achieved by harnessing all my skill during qualifying ) and then test the slipstream on Lap 1 hopefully picking up several places. The incident at T2 put a stop to that and the rest of the race was fun catching those who ran off and occasionally picking up a tow.
Eventually the handling on the corners caught me out and a clip  of a grass verge resulted in a spectacular crashh, which ought to be on You tube.!! eek

Thanks for the fun guys and grats to those who finished both on the podium and further back. I think there should be a couple of PROPER GT races i.e Full Length endurance races for these cars somewhere in the season just for fun. It is what they were built for  Grin

The views expressed here by liveclive are not necessarily endorsed by the true management of evilclive.com, but they might be.
clouds

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 10:28:24 AM +0000 »

Nice race and good fun, until I was rear ended by Sergio Clouds trying to overtake me at Virage Ford ...where it's quite impossible to overtake.
A few laps later, a Chap 2F spun in front of me (Martin ?) just after the courbe Dunlop and we collided (...several times  Roll Eyes  ) .
I lost several seconds and lot of horsepower, but I didn't use shift-R.

Before these 2 incidents, I was running with Phil in 4th and 5th position not so far from the 3rd (Dean).  
With these GT cars, my opinion is that we should drive like endurance drivers not like single seaters drivers. Moreover in such a track where it is so easy to overtake using the slipstream.

Yes it's true, like I already said unfortunately I had bad warping in key points of the track especially when I had other cars around me. This is why I collided with Axel, with you, I crashed on the hay bails at the end of the mulsanne straight and some other events. The situation has been a little better near the end of the race but in any case I have been forced to take very slightly actions near the other drivers because it was very unpredictable the car behaviour in slow corners.

About the race lenght I can say that I'm a supporter of races that last at least one hour !
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 10:32:37 AM +0000 by clouds » Logged

Sergio "Clouds" Lonzar

...Houston, we've had a problem here!

Jack Swigert, April 13rd, 1970. Apollo 13 on the way to the moon.
Rainier
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 10:44:00 AM +0000 »

I have just noticed a lot of people in other countries are speaking about the "Mulsanne Straight"

but in France, I always heard about Les Hunaudières

Le silence éternel de ces espaces infinis m'effraie
Mark Jones

Calm like a Bomb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 11:01:37 AM +0000 »

I thought Hunaudieres was the name of the infamous kink near the end of the Mulsanne.

These are the old days, the bad days, the all-or-nothing days. They're back.
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 11:39:22 AM +0000 »

First of all, a big compliment to Mark who succeeded in setting up a P4 such fast and reliable to take the win!
Shame, I made a mistake at Maison Blanche (looking to pribluda!) that cost me a fight to the end for the win...

I am happy that this race had no mass disco, as all the former Le Mans events I drove had one.
There are still problems with this track, like at Arnage, where there is allways a big flickering, but it seems not enough to crash the server.

Quote from:  Clive
I think there should be a couple of PROPER GT races i.e Full Length endurance races for these cars somewhere in the season just for fun. It is what they were built for   Grin
YESSSS! My idea is to do this!
But the possible fuel load limits a race here to 22 laps Angry
Maybe we can use a proper pitstop patch to do more...

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 01:00:29 PM +0000 »

The Chaparral in F, was my choice for the race, as it's easier to see in the dark.  From mid-grid, a promising start, until a Ferrari came looming in my mirrors.  For those who only saw the debris flying - he picked the inside lane, so I moved right to allow some space, approaching the esses.  I saw a red Ferrari, I heard a red Ferrari, I hit the green Ferrari from Hell, lurking in my blind spot!  Sorry to Piero.  I was not expecting a front row car behind me.  I continued on, dizzy but otherwise unscathed, happy to see that most were Ok.  

The remainder was action filled.  Many ahead suffered from hiccups, which isn't usually fun while driving.  This put me suddenly up to 4th for second or two, until a brake hiccup allowed an entire gaggle through.  And worse was to come, when my beast bottomed out at the infamous esses, on lap 6, and stopped in harms way.  Whereupon, Dave noticed my unfortunate roadblock, and in trying to remove my shattered remnants, me motor expired! :'(

In such rapid company, my race was effectively over.  It had been flat out all the way, just to keep up.  However, the track is less work than some, thanks to it's Mulsanne Straight - the name always used in British racing circles, SFAIK.  Many drivers grumbled when chicanes were eventually put in.  The chance to mentally relax at 200mph, which we had, was gone, and 3 heavy braking points instead of 1.  There's a fine line, between a braking point,and a breaking point, which some of us noticed last night. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:03:05 PM +0000 by maddog » Logged
Rainier
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 01:10:58 PM +0000 »

thanks to it's Mulsanne Straight - the name always used in British racing circles, SFAIK.  

Yes, and you can see below a Bentley Mulsanne Straight (at least, the name used in British racing circles)  Wink

Le silence éternel de ces espaces infinis m'effraie
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 02:17:28 PM +0000 »

I think the best looking Sportscars, are the ones we drive from the 60's.   That new Bentley should be bent differently.  Maybe a retro of their Le Mans winning cars, from the 20's? Tongue
Robert Fleurke
Former UKGPL Moderators

GPL Forever!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 05:38:36 PM +0000 »

Congrats to Mark and podium, well done finishers! Smiley Not an easy feat to control these heavy powerful beasts at high speeds...

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 05:56:15 PM +0000 by Robert Fleurke » Logged

Driving for Antipasti Racing

Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 08:14:10 PM +0000 »

I don't drive these big beasts much but I quite enjoyed that (well the first half anyway :-) ).

Had nice fight with a few Ferraris, the Mirage was awesome on top speed with a bit of slipstream!  I wasn't as good on the corners and when I came under pressure from Roberto at Maison Blanche I stayed wide and clipped the grass causing me to crash and take Roberto out with me.  Sorry Roberto.  I knew he was on my inside so I couldn't take my normal line and I had to stay wide.  I always find it hard to judge my speed in situations like that.  Its hard enough to practice the racing line, nevermind the unusual ones.

I lost a few places but I managed to get going again and still had the Ferraris in sight and close enough for a decent tow when the engine exploded.  A reset and S&G and I was well behind and then a couple of laps later the engine blew for a second time and I had to retire Sad.
clouds

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 09:25:14 PM +0000 »

Hei guys the result table shows me in 4th place, but to be honest, after my collision with Axel and several other collisions in the same place with other drivers, I've made a reset but I forgot the compulsory S&G.  Tongue

Sergio "Clouds" Lonzar

...Houston, we've had a problem here!

Jack Swigert, April 13rd, 1970. Apollo 13 on the way to the moon.
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 03:30:26 PM +0000 »

These races were 'just for fun' so I am not going to lose too much sleep over that but don't do it in the season....

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com