by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

April 24, 2024, 12:30:55 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PnG noobie questions  (Read 4341 times)
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2013, 11:04:05 AM +0000 »

Although I have crashed around in GPL for a few years, I have no experience of the cars that you guys are racing here, or any knowledge of how they are best set up. Add to that the unfamiliar feel of the software and the lobby and there could just be a few major screw ups..( ask Clive Loynes if you don't believe me!).

I have got PnG d/loaded and working apparently OK. All I have done is a few very scruffy laps around Hockenheim in a Capri to prove that things function as they should.

The major difference that I can see immediately is the choice of tyres available (and a read me file that I cannot relate to anything yet), something that GPL does not bother with. I presume that this can be a crucial decision when preparing for a race?  Also you have proper pitstops scared, is there a duffers guide to how these are handled?

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Jester

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 11:46:39 AM +0000 »

Some handy sites to look at.
http://srmz.net/index.php?s=b935bfe48dfa0f24752c6d13330b0339&showforum=145
http://www.rfactor-league.com/TuneToWin/TuneToWin.html Rfactor interface look, but is usable for GTR/PnG.

Erik Roeterdink aka Jester
my apps and settings
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 12:53:56 PM +0000 »

Thursday's race is Barbato Mount, wherever that is!  https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=12093#event3894

Why not download that and give the Ferrari and E-Types a go.

With any luck there will be a practice server available for you to have a go at and you may even find someone on it if you are very, very lucky!

They will probably be Italian as they do much more preparation than the rest.  Strange how they are so much quicker too!

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 01:35:12 PM +0000 »

Practise server now running

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 04:01:29 PM +0000 »

hmmmmm just tried Barbato Mount for a few laps in 4speed E type and ( mistakenly) 250 Fezza. Is there a "remove the understeer patch)  lol ??!!  Could not get better than a 1:49 in either with race fuel...deffo need more of something, probably practice!!!

Rank   Only when I sweat
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 04:16:22 PM +0000 »

I would expect that a 1:36 is respectable and that people will go quicker than that.

Some of the PnG cars would need the hand brake smacked on to get the rear out.

Sadly there is no repository of setups that I know of and no equivalent of the GPLAnalyser.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 04:26:39 PM +0000 »

But I'm sure that if EvilClive asked for a setup or two, they would be forthcoming.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 12:03:32 PM +0000 »

My week in the lakes looks like it may be cut short due to illness. I might just make this one  Cool
If I have any setups you are welcome to them Evil Clive.

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 12:51:31 PM +0000 »

I tried the default 5spd and Evil is quite right about the under-steer.

1:47 was my first complete timed lap but then had so many trips across the grass that I went off in search of a setup.  Didn't get another chance to try anything.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 01:47:53 PM +0000 »

Thanks for the offers of help guys....Clive's assertion that 1:36 would be competitive time was a bit of a shock Shocked, based on my initial exploratory laps!

tried a few more laps this morning with the correct Fezza 275, and knocked 8+ secs off my previous attempts.  It still feels like trying to steer a supertanker with a teaspoon for a rudder!!, but by winding everything up to stiffen the chassis I managed to get some "feel" and occasional directional control, although that might have been an illusion!!

I like to find/build my own setups usually, but these things are so far from my "comfort zone" it would be good to see what you guys do to make them work, at least then I might be heading in the right direction. lol

Rank   Only when I sweat
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 10:06:02 PM +0000 »

Ok! so I guess you are all sick and tired of my gremlins and general ineptitude and for that I apologise, but i really enjoy these older cars in PnG and wish I could get the dammed thing to work.  Undecided

As I have not been using PnG for long and cannot really claim to have got to grips with it I decided that the easiest way to sort my probs would be to do a clean install.
So, I wiped PnG...... I also re-downloaded GTR2 , because I have not used that much either and I figured that maybe some of my problems stemmed from there.
I went back to STEAM and there is a way of verifying that my GTR2 files were correct or corrupt.  Got that sorted and immediately took a "clean" copy of that and placed it on my remote backup drive....just in case!.
I then re downloaded Png V3.0 ( +3.001, 3.002 and 3.003) and PnG update 3.1 and got them lined up, ready to make my new GTR2 file a dedicated PnG operation.
However what I thought would be a simple operation constantly trips up during the install. When I originally stuffed PnG onto my PC I used a step by step idiots guide that Tony pointed me at, but I cannot find that particular post now...anyone got the info please?

Rank   Only when I sweat
goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 10:38:25 PM +0000 »

Not sure if this is the guide you are after Clive but it seems to cover the installation process.

http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301357

Hope it helps.

TOP TIP: READ THE RACE ANNOUNCEMENT Smiley
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 10:42:35 PM +0000 »

Thanks GT.

I have had enough for tonight and my overworked single brain cell needs some ZZZZZZZZ's  I will start with a clear, calm head tomorrow and hopefully I can beat the technology into submission with a large baseball bat and a bucket of water!

Edit!!!!   PnG now appears to function correctly!! I will have to re-download the various cars and tracks for the different series and install carefully, but I have already tried Portrero and got onto the server...my driving was crap, but I was perhaps a little over excited  Roll Eyes

Just need to try this on a race evening and actually join a race in anger to be sure.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:04:19 PM +0000 by EvilClive » Logged

Rank   Only when I sweat
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com