by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

April 19, 2024, 11:55:41 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: wheel  (Read 3063 times)
wheel gone kid

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2014, 11:54:57 AM +0100 »

HI guys,
    any help or advice would be appreciated....just purchased a thrustmaster scuderia cockpit, all setup and working fine but i'm really struggling to match my normal lap times post wheel...i was using a xbox wired pad previously, even though i hated it, i was able to post much better lap times than i can manage now with the wheel...i guess its a case of practice, spent most of yesterday trying to get used to it without much success...any tips on settings, sensitivity etc would be appreciated, i'm determined not to pick up the pad again but i am really struggling especially with P&G.
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 12:16:06 PM +0100 »

have you activated the P&G force-feedback/controller settings via the P&G front end menu?
Worth also getting hold of the 'advanced ffb' mod from No-grip downloads for more finite tweaking to your own tastes.

Surprised that you can be quicker with a gamepad than a bona-fide steering wheel in a car racing sim!  Tongue  is it calibrated properly?

Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 12:20:22 PM +0100 »

Hmmm...............

I should try lashing it to a desk for starters.

It must feel like both track rods are made out of rubber!

My wheel is clamped firmly to a desk and gets a right good knocking about, limited by the desk hitting the wall in moments of extreme wheel wangling.  

Just out of interest, why didn't you buy a G27?

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
wheel gone kid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 12:48:25 PM +0100 »

this is the wheel guys, http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/ferrari-wireless-gt-cockpit-430-scuderia-edition  i would have preferred a clamp type but i am seriously limited for room and dont have a pc desk as such...this cockpit folds away nicely, i just bring it out when i need it....the wheel does not have force feedback, not a problem as i've never been a FFB fan, always end up disabling it....just used the wheel on race 07 and its great with that, its just P&G im really struggling with and to a lesser extent GTL.....got sensitivity at 50% brake & throttle 90% prob just have to practice more i guess, although i get the feeling i'm never gonna get used to it...i'm about 6 seconds off my best with a pad....thats huge! Sad
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 12:51:54 PM +0100 »

It looks to be only 270 deg which is sort of like an old MS Sidewinder, should still be better than a gamepad
I think I would struggle with using one once you get used to the wheel being firmly fixed to something

I have the force on very low anyway, so wouldn't really miss it.

Most people who have used pads and then bought a wheel go a lot faster, and wander round the track less  Roll Eyes

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
wheel gone kid

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 01:28:47 PM +0100 »

theres no issue with it moving about etc....it has 3 clamps which tighten nicely, the base is heavy and never moves....if anyone can share their in game settings regarding sensitivity etc i can at least have a starting point...cheers!
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 01:44:48 PM +0100 »

Will you be changing your name now?

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

wheel gone kid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 03:11:24 PM +0100 »

Will you be changing your name now?

lol why would i be changing my name? although super sloth comes to mind!!!
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 03:51:51 PM +0100 »

Your no longer without a wheel  Wink

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

wheel gone kid

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 03:54:55 PM +0100 »

Your no longer without a wheel  Wink

lol i'm so slow sometimes...if i cant get my lap times down this bloody wheel will be out the window...practice practice practice me thinks!
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 06:11:23 PM +0100 »

t.....got sensitivity at 50% brake & throttle 90%

I have all of my sensitivities set to 50%, which I believe means linear; a 10% dead band on the brake and 24% on the clutch.........which you don't appear to have.  The clutch is historical and relates to the fact that my clutch potentiometer is goosed.

wheel gone kid

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 11:30:43 PM +0100 »

well i felt totally embarrassed tonight at charade....started steady enough but just when i thought i'd clicked with this wheel it all fell apart, i'll sit out the next race if im not any better, i think i got in peoples way tonight.....damn you wheel!!!! :/
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 08:22:02 AM +0100 »

I really don't think that "wheel on a stick" is doing you any favours at all.

The force feedback tells you a lot about what the car is about to do and I wouldn't be without it, although I know that there are very fast aliens out there who don't use it.

phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 12:57:12 PM +0100 »

Once you have bought something people tend to want to use it of course
But if you had asked people on here what to get, then what you have would not
have been in anyone's list.  Sad

I think Clive is probably correct. When my G25 throttle pedal pot wore I went back to using an ancient MS Sidewinder wheel
and pedals that I used to be "ok" with, and after using the G25/27 I was several seconds off my own pace
and, I kept falling off as the braking was a completely different feel. I moved the clutch pot to the throttle as I
don't use the clutch on that system, so now using the G25 again, and suddenly I was back to normal pace.

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 01:02:20 PM +0100 »

Reminds me of a floor polisher  Wink

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com