by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

April 20, 2024, 06:10:07 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: wheel  (Read 3064 times)
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 12:19:08 PM +0100 »

Just looked at WGD's link to his Thustmaster ,

First of all  ... Why is prince Harry playing racing sims, and why can't he afford a G25/27??!!!

Seriously WGD, I was thinking about how what you now have would feel like in use. If the base is very heavy and stable and the steering column locks out at a fixed angle to give a "solid" feel at the wheel, then I can sort of see that it might be usable.
But, I could not contemplate using it from a sofa or soft chair as shown in the photos, as personally I want my a**  planted firmly so that I can exert maximum energy into the steering and brakes, rather than have my input absorbed by the equal and opposite reaction into the soft furnishings. I would have thought that it was very tiring to sit on a soft chair for 40-50 mins and work your limbs in that way, but then I am old and probably totally unfit!  I usually have my steering wheel set for something like 180degreees, lock to lock, as an absolute maximum and with a bit of slide I only use 30degrees of movement either way from straight ahead. Any more movement involves the use of too much energy and I am trying to be as green as I can in my life  Grin

Preferably I would want to use it from an upright or office type chair and have the wheel coming over the top of a desk, but it did occur to me that if the steering column will drop low enough and you arrange the pedals box to stand up you almost have a proper sim rig that you could drive from the floor, or ideally from a recycled bucket seat. I think I am getting carried away with fantasy here, so I'll stop  scared

As for settings I was amazed by Clive L's settings and will have to try what he suggests. I only recently dipped into the GTL/PnG sim world and simply transferred my GPL settings across. This means that I have all sensitivity settings in PnG at 100% and maybe just 10% dead zone on the brake and clutch ( I also had to re-assign the clutch pot to throttle duties because of years of gas mashing in GPL!!  Grin ).

Off to try these alien settings now
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 09:47:54 PM +0100 by EvilClive » Logged

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 07:10:46 PM +0100 »

I think that I forgot to say that my wheel is set to 270 rotation.  I tried 360 but my elbows ended up in a knot!

It will be interesting to see how the floor polisher does at Bridgehampton.  The place is a mass of bumps and hollows and without FF I would find it very hard.  I expect that I would spend a lot of time wondering what had just put me in the sand.

I've destroyed four Mustangs in the paddock!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 11:36:38 AM +0100 by Clive Loynes » Logged

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
wheel gone kid

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 09:34:21 AM +0100 »

its all adjustable from the length of the steering column to the angle..like u said i sit fairly upright using an office type chair..everything is tightened using a spanner and is very secure, there is off course slight movement when turning the wheel but nothing that puts you off or hinders..the pedals are an absolute joy...not even a tiny amount of movement or slippage (love that word) the only movement as such is vertical and thats because i need the column extended as i'm a 6ft plus guy and it is only slight, i dont even notice it. there is no left or right movement, you turn left it stays rigid ditto the right...tbh i would have loved the wheel you recommend but i simply dont have the means of clamping a wheel to a desk or fixing the pedals somewhere secure...smallish bedroom 3 kids in rest of house and no spare room...this is ideal as it sits in the corner just bring it out when i need.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com