Quarterly cost: �0

March 29, 2024, 07:25:31 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S26 Zandvoort: July 15, 2014
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 26 (2014) - Zandvoort - Jul 15  (Read 3927 times)
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2014, 10:24:50 PM +0100 »

Summer Pre-Season Endurance

Once more unto the breach dear friends. Break out those sunglasses and suncream, grab a good spot (and an eyeful) on the coast of the Netherlands. Go easy on the shorts lads... we don't want to scare the ladies off!

This is an event to break in UKGPL9 before being brought into regular service... an endurance race on the Zandvoort circuit in 1967 configuration, using the track that came with Grand Prix Legends.

Drivers are free to choose any chassis, but it has to go the distance - 45 laps around here is a test of true metal, please don't leave it in the sand-banks.

The circuit was inaugurated on August 7, 1948 and has been through several changes but unlike many of the popular 1960s tracks it has continued to be used for top flight racing and is in regular use today but not for Formula 1. The last Formula 1 race at Zandvoort was held in 1985 and was won by Niki Lauda ahead of Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna. The 1967 Formula 1 Grand Prix saw the debut of the Ford Cosworth DFV engine, in Jim Clark and Graham Hill's Lotuses. Jim Clark went on to win the race and post the fastest lap after Graham Hill retired with engine problems after starting the race from pole position.

Race List = IGOR
Server = UKGPL_9
IP address = 37.157.48.87
Race date = Tuesday 15-07-2014
Time = 20:45 UK time (21:45 CET)
Qualifying time = 30 minutes
Race will start around 21:15, lasting approximately 65-70 minutes.
Track = Zandvoort
Race length = 45 Laps
Variant = 67 cars
Damage Model = Pro
Replays

Please restrict chat to only very urgent messages including at the end of the race until ALL drivers still racing have crossed the line.

Good luck everybody, remember that the race is a long one and can't be won at the first corner, but let's have FUN!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:27:49 PM +0100 by Turkey Machine » Logged

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
GregT

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 02:53:22 PM +0100 »

It's a shame this race couldn't be held Sunday. I would have liked to have raced. Have fun guys.

You know that some people are different
Now ain't that a crying shame
Now wouldn't it be a real drag if we were all the same

Savoy Brown
Turkey Machine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 03:30:33 PM +0100 »

It's a shame this race couldn't be held Sunday. I would have liked to have raced. Have fun guys.

There will be a server running this evening that can accommodate those averse to foot-the-ball. Smiley

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
Tom van Ostade

"anything can happen, and it usually does"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 12:30:42 PM +0100 »

Woohoo, my home track! Perhaps I'll go back to my roots and drive the Brabham  Grin . I spent many days as a twelve year old kid trying to get a hang of it, fighting off Rodriguez and Bonnier, lapping in the 1:28 range, untill something suddenly clicked and I went 3 or 4 seconds quicker Cheesy . Perhaps it was the fact I was actually tall enough by then to see over the steering wheel properly Grin .

Found the newspaper of my first win against the AI. It's dated 8th of February 2005 Grin .

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 12:44:04 PM +0100 by Tom van Ostade » Logged

maddog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 12:56:26 PM +0100 »

Yay, Tommie for President!  You must brush up on that American accent. Grin
Tom van Ostade

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 03:44:38 PM +0100 »

Grin

Doni Yourth

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 06:49:10 PM +0100 »

Goodo, Tommie!  Smiley

I'm intending to make the race but it's a 50-50 deal at the moment.

I'm a little leery of the circuit to be honest.  The constant back & forth tires me rapidly.  Additionally, I find that, in going out for 4-5 laps in qualifying, the first several are throw-aways being well off the pace and then suddenly, I'll pop in a quick one(relatively speaking for me, that is)that is head and shoulders faster yet seemed no worse than the rest.  Curious place with that in mind.
Turkey Machine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 06:57:41 PM +0100 »

Goodo, Tommie!  Smiley

I'm intending to make the race but it's a 50-50 deal at the moment.

I'm a little leery of the circuit to be honest.  The constant back & forth tires me rapidly.  Additionally, I find that, in going out for 4-5 laps in qualifying, the first several are throw-aways being well off the pace and then suddenly, I'll pop in a quick one(relatively speaking for me, that is)that is head and shoulders faster yet seemed no worse than the rest.  Curious place with that in mind.

We've had endurance races in the past, and at more unforgiving tracks than this, but it's the same for everyone and not everyone likes this place. I toyed with Silverstone or Zandvoort, and the dunes won out.

Rhythm is the key here, good rhythm gives good pace. Smiley

Tom van Ostade

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 10:31:55 PM +0100 »

The key is to never compromise the exit and take the 'slow in, fast out' principle to the extreme. A lot of corners flow into others so if you don't get your lines right your lap times will suffer dramatically. Try taking your racing line extremely serious, even if it means lifting off or even braking, to keep the speed down so you can follow the racing line. And always aim for as late an apex as possible Smiley .

Arf Arf Arf

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 12:36:35 PM +0100 »

I looked at Tommie's newspaper for his first win, and I thought that is really pathetic.......that I still have mine too!!  Grin  It was such a big thing when it finally came to pass that I was quick enough.....

it also reminded me of a question I have been meaning to ask. This race post might not be the best place, but just in case....my new install of GPL on my new(ish) PC does not work properly for the end of a race vs AI. The newspaper comes up, but it doesn't spin smoothly - it stutters and stalls for a while, then gives up and just shows the newspaper. Which files do I need to replace to fix this (and where do I get them)?

Hope to see you all tonight

Arf
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 05:36:38 PM +0100 »

Hoping to make this but I am taking the girls to the circus in my local park and I may not be home in time.

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 06:27:48 PM +0100 »

I looked at Tommie's newspaper for his first win, and I thought that is really pathetic.......that I still have mine too!!  Grin  It was such a big thing when it finally came to pass that I was quick enough.....

it also reminded me of a question I have been meaning to ask. This race post might not be the best place, but just in case....my new install of GPL on my new(ish) PC does not work properly for the end of a race vs AI. The newspaper comes up, but it doesn't spin smoothly - it stutters and stalls for a while, then gives up and just shows the newspaper. Which files do I need to replace to fix this (and where do I get them)?

Hope to see you all tonight

Arf

Same newspaper behaviour here Colin,
seems to be the relict of the old GPL engine that had troubles with fast CPU's  Grin

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Turkey Machine

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 08:44:03 PM +0100 »

Password for tonight is DuneBuggy for the late stragglers!!!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:08:27 PM +0100 by Turkey Machine » Logged

Tom van Ostade

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 09:46:06 PM +0100 »

Went to place a new cupboard I'd bought to the wall, spent 2 hours doing that! Unfortunately too late to join... But it's up Grin .

Arf Arf Arf

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 09:59:48 PM +0100 »

Great connection Jethro - never seen the latency bar so low.

Same old s**t from me though.... amazed I was on the front row - I took the Ferrari purely because of the poor GPL Rank time I have versus other cars...quickly remebered why I couldn't drive the setup I have been using, and expected to be at the back. Made some good changes, and lapped reasonably well in the race...when I got there. All I did at end of qually was go in and up the fuel, came back out in time to see the green button disappear - that was weird. Engine temp was a constant concern, so not surprised, but disappointed when engine went on L19...

Arf
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com