by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

April 28, 2024, 12:17:07 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • UKGTL S0-C R2: February 22, 2006
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGTL - Season 0-C (GTC-TC-76) - Round 2, Imola - Feb 22  (Read 12799 times)
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« on: February 14, 2006, 10:14:02 PM +0000 »

UKGTL - Season 0-C (GTC-TC-76) - Round 2 at Imola

Please make sure you have read at least the Driving Standards section of the SimRacing rules before racing.

Date: Wednesday 22nd February

Practice 1: 8:30pm (15 mins)
Qual 2: 8:45pm (25 mins)
Race: 9:10pm (35 mins - 16 laps)

Cars allowed: Any GTC-TC-76 Class car.
Track: Imola
Time of Day Setting: 15:00
Start Procedure: Pace lap led by pole sitter. See this section of the rules on rolling starts. Average speed may need to be reduced from GTR to GTL, but we'll play that by ear.

Server: SimRacing.co.uk (UKGTL)
Password: usual practice password

See UKGTL Season 0 Announcement post for extra information on Season 0.

Race incidents should be reported by PM to Locutos as indicated in this thread...
https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1101.0
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 07:57:40 AM +0100 by Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer » Logged

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
PaulW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 07:53:00 PM +0000 »

All of season 0-C is started with a pace lap- ought we to try a couple of races with standing starts? A sizeable number of people wanting to compete prefer them!

Give a man a fish- he'll eat for a day. But give him a fishing rod and... he'll break it up for firewood, or just possibly, swap it for a fish.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 08:29:05 PM +0000 »

All of season 0-C is started with a pace lap- ought we to try a couple of races with standing starts? A sizeable number of people wanting to compete prefer them!

We couldn't manage clean standing starts in the TC-65 cars - what makes you think the '76 cars will manage them without carnage at T1?

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Paul968
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 08:37:28 PM +0000 »

To be fair Dave, the cynical ones here might say that we couldn't manage pace laps either.
PaulW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 08:54:07 PM +0000 »

You guys are (justifiably so far) in favour of rolling starts and, actually, I'm not betting we could!
But to me it feels too early to have just given up on them whilst we still have test races to go. The majority of people here have a huge amount of experience of rolling starts so really they ought to work much much better anyway. A few races with standing starts now would let us get a better look at them, heck, most 76 races with standing starts would be more informative still.

Give a man a fish- he'll eat for a day. But give him a fishing rod and... he'll break it up for firewood, or just possibly, swap it for a fish.
Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 08:56:09 PM +0000 »

Why not test it once. Without testing it will always be guessing. I had multiple clean races in a public server with 20 drivers in the TC76 class. It's not the starting procedure that causes T1 mayhem, it's the drivers. In a starting manouvre you can't brake as late as when you are alone, people need to realise that. Same as that races are not won in the first corner, only lost.
Heading for T1 you should brake earlier than normal, and when you see the one infront brakes later than you, you can brake towards him. This way you will slowly approach him without causing a chaos.
Lot of people also forget that a Corvette can't brake as late as a Porsche, and they try to outbrake them.
So basically it's the lack of skill that will cause accidents, or the bad mentality.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 09:11:01 PM +0000 »

Why not test it once. Without testing it will always be guessing. I had multiple clean races in a public server with 20 drivers in the TC76 class. It's not the starting procedure that causes T1 mayhem, it's the drivers.

That's the "guns don't kill people" argument. From a standing start you end up with cars four abreast into T1 and the result is always going to be a mess - particularly in unfamiliar cars with a wide variety of performance. Rolling starts reduce the risk tremendously by spreading the field out before it gets to that critical first corner.

One test race isn't going to change that - if we go standing starts for 76 S0 it'll be for the full season. Frankly I think you're all barking mad if you want to try and race on that first lap with cold tyres and cold brakes, but since I don't intend racing the 76 cars personally I'm going to put it up for a quick vote.

LEUVEN

???

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 02:09:25 PM +0000 »

I'm surprised that this is even being discussed, although it is good to let "the people" decide, I was under the impression that you guys running the UKGT leagues have a great chunk of experience and If you think rolling starts are the best/safest way forward then that would be enough for me......... end of matter AFAIC  Smiley

I wouldn't want to practice for 20/30 mins Quallify for 20/30 mins then get taken out on the first turn by someone trying to win the race in the first turn. Even tho standing starts can work, That as only ever happened to me when it has been standing starts. Roll Eyes

They keep me locked up in this cage, can't they see it's why my brain says Rage.
locutos ukgtr
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 06:00:07 PM +0000 »

Is this going to be Imola full or short track?

Aagramn
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 06:05:34 PM +0000 »

It will be the full track, don't think there is a short version of it in GTL.

Team Shark

GT Rank Name: Michael Bennett

The correct procedure is brake-swear, not swear-brake.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 06:19:11 PM +0000 »

It will be the full track, don't think there is a short version of it in GTL.

There isn't a short version of Imola in real life either. Cheesy

Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 07:05:38 PM +0000 »

The short version is going straight in the first chicane and using the inside tires Tongue
[ZiP]Tyf
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 09:36:30 PM +0000 »

Lol Ruskus!

Maybe Locutus was confuzzling the different versions that are available in GTR, with and without chicane Smiley.

T
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 12:53:02 PM +0000 »

At last a 'proper' race circuit !....and i cannot make it this eve  :'(  gutted, how annoying. Sad

Would have loved a 76 race here

Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 01:21:28 PM +0000 »

I very much doubt I'll be home in time for tonight's race, but can the polesitter keep the speed down a bit compared to what we'd use in GTR please. Say a target speed of 50-55mph (80-90kph). Let's see if that works better than the first race's 86-ish mph at Anderstorp.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com