The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 29, 2024, 01:19:44 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alpine trip in classic cars  (Read 2991 times)
Erling G-P

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2014, 10:02:53 AM +0000 »

Thought I'd share some pics from a fantastic fall drive last month with you guys.

We were 4 old Porsches and an old Mazda MX5.  Drove from Denmark Friday afternoon, arriving in Hamburg in the evening, boarding the Autotrain for Lorrach.  Arrived in Lorrach, just north of the Swiss border early Saturday morning.  Headed straight for the Alps and then had some amazing days, driving through spectacular landscapes on fantastic roads.  Did so many hairpins that they turned into a blur.  Came through San Bernadino Pass amongst others. Went home through Austria and drove through Germany instead of opting for the train.  Back home Tuesday evening, but felt like we'd been away for much longer - just so many impressions jam-packed into a short space of time  Smiley

Sadly I don't have any pics of the most spectacular views we passed - that's the drawback of travelling in a Group and not being the navigator; you don't always get to stop were you'd like.

Cheers,
Erling
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 11:31:58 PM +0000 »

Great photos and a great road trip by the look of it  Cool I am doing a similar trip next year in my own 30yr old 911   Smiley I take the car into Europe every year,  trackdays often included, great fun. thumbup1

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 12:02:57 AM +0000 »

Epic trip Erling and epic scenery and roads too  Cool

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 09:41:00 AM +0000 »

Wow, some stunning scenery there and what a great way to see it all in some great machinery. Makes me want to get my bike out!

TOP TIP: READ THE RACE ANNOUNCEMENT Smiley
Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 05:41:23 PM +0000 »

Thanks guys; can't recommend these trips enough.

Was in Norway in spring of 2011; pics, mine and others, in this forum (scroll down a little):
http://www.early911.dk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3878&sid=cac6fd92d3a917538b7588acb87758d5&start=75

Some comments in English, as we had a resident Brit on our trip (We're not just being pretentious  Grin)

Did another Alpine trip in 2012, albeit with some problems:
http://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/710122-an-alpine-trip-with-photos.html

Cheers,
Erling

SpecialKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 09:48:51 PM +0000 »

Great pics Erling.
Especially from Norway.
Looks like I've been on one or two places 40 years ago - the narrow fjord with the white hotel,
is it Geiranger or Aurland?
Would really like to visit Norway again.

Cheers

Kurt

So long

SpecialKS
aka Eifelblitz
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 10:16:37 PM +0000 »

Some stunning roads and scenery in those Norway pics Erling  Cool but is that road salt on the cars in some of the pics? Do they use that in Norway? It's a curse to us classic car owners in the UK ! I've had to have my 'galvanised' sills done twice in 5 years from winter use  Sad

Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 10:46:56 PM +0000 »

Thanks guys; Norway was a fantastic trip.  Some of the gang went back there this spring, but sadly I had to skip it due to my hernia problem.

The most insane looking road in the photos, is 'Trollstigen' (Troll's Ladder).

Kurt I believe you're correct about Geiranger or Aurland, but to be honest, I'm not sure which one it is.  Based on our route, it could be either:

Mark, I do believe they use road salt in Norway.  However, while it looks like salt, I think it's only normal road grime on the cars.  Temperatures were well above freezing when we were there, despite the snow.

Road salt is a curse here too, and I don't drive the 928 during winter, except for exercise drives, when I can find a lull in the salting (preferably once a week, but mostly that's impossible).

Cheers,
Erling
BillThomas

We will rock you! Rock on.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 02:48:59 PM +0000 »

Nice pics Erling.

Bill Thomas   wheelchair
Another one bites the dust
Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 11:19:51 AM +0000 »

Nice pics Erling.

Thanks Bill.

Kurt: Just stumbled upon some information from our Norway trip.  It was in fact Geiranger.

Cheers,
Erling
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com