Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 29, 2024, 06:31:51 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S27 Spa67: December 30, 2014
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 27 - Spa67 - 60fps - Dec 30  (Read 8549 times)
Robert Fleurke
Former UKGPL Moderators

GPL Forever!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2014, 02:24:24 PM +0000 »

Bummed to have to miss last nights funraces, but great to see full grids, congrats Axel! Smiley

See you in the next year!

Driving for Antipasti Racing

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2015, 05:36:05 PM +0000 »

Happy New Year all.

I am keen to get my rig sorted to run 60fps as I firmly believe that it is time we moved on in UKGPL. 
I am probably running a PC which is among the slowest of those that members have. So I figure that if I can get it working with my limited knowledge of anything to do with computers, then everyone should be able to do it.
Currently I am running XP on a 2.3ghz dual core processor , 2gb ram and a 1gb graphics card. There is also a new sound card and a larger PSU crammed into the box.

Now it may be that I am doing something very wrong with my current GPL setup and I am beginning to suspect that I may be missing some critical updates to GPL. I recently dropped in on Andy Livingston and saw his "racing seat". It was immediately obvious that his GPL install and title pages looked different to mine, so maybe I have some retro updates to get installed.

Offline on the Spa 67 track ( lite option and reduced 3D installed) and with a grid of 12 cars I was dropping to a frame rate of 6-10fps on the grid at the start, which Is definitely not good. Once things got under way and the cars spread out I occasionally saw 60fps, but as soon as I got close to another car/cars that rate would drop as low as 30fps. I could live with that as I often see frame rates down to 25fps when running under 36fps as we currently do, so I figure that is no worse.
I tried various tweaks to the graphic card setup, but as I understand things in GPL, the graphic card actually does very little and it is the CPU that handles just about everything, so that would be the weak spot.

Axel suggested getting the CPU to run faster, but I confess I looked at the link and tried to follow the instructions and got nowhere. The directions to create a patch to force the CPU speed and then navigate to it and edit the contents arrived at an empty folder ( I had "hidden files" turned on) despite several attempts.

I tried to join the Spa race after I had done a few practice laps trying to sort 60fps issues just to see how things worked online. I was planning to start at the back of the grid and use it as a pure test session.
But for some reason I was not able to access the server . I got the message that I did not have the track installed???. But obviously I DID have it installed as I had driven both 65 and 67 cars around for a few laps immediately before the race??

I deleted the track file and re-downloaded / installed and ....same error in IGOR. I made sure that I had the Spa67 track showing in both 65 season ini and 67 season ini and tried again.  Same result.

By then the server was full ( good to see BTW  Grin )

This is the first chance I have had to get back on the PC since then, so there are a few things I need to look into before I have another go.

As anyone who knows me will be aware Computers +  Evilclive = headaches, so once i get things working I tend to leave them alone. However, I will play the numpty here and ask if someone  who knows about these things can post a list of ALL the current patches and updates that we should all have for GPL and GEM ( I know that not all members use GEM, but for those that do it would be worth knowing that we have the latest version).

I might even be persuaded to invest in a new rig as I think I will only need a decent CPU and basic box, then I can transplant my graphics card, sound card etc. ( But of course it won't be that simple will it??  Undecided )

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2015, 07:50:09 PM +0000 »

But for some reason I was not able to access the server . I got the message that I did not have the track installed???. But obviously I DID have it installed as I had driven both 65 and 67 cars around for a few laps immediately before the race??
I suspect this is something to do with your season.ini file.  I only use the SIERRA/gpl/seasons/67season.ini.  I've had trouble like this before.  I made a backup copy of the 67season.ini file and then edited it manually so that it only had 1 track in it.  Then I added the rest of the tracks using the season manager in GEM.  I suggest you give that a try.
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2015, 08:05:43 PM +0000 »

I don't know of any recent patches, Clive, but if other folks do, it's likely they'd be grabbed from SRMZ.  I suppose there's the Fairshift patch, which has just run into a poll here.  Those using shifters would not call it an enhancement. Cheesy And perhaps more  I'm unaware of?  Maybe someone has a list?  Different styled pages you mention, may simply be alternate layout files, made mostly by black and white folks, who want to offer something new.  

btw. is there a  fix or workaround to make the AI act right offline under 60fps conditions ?

I worked on 60fps Ai, and had several Mods running Ok.  But some of their behavior is keyed into their timebase or framerate.  Only a skilled programmer will be able to fix this, and make them realistic.  I have shown it is possible.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 08:11:47 PM +0000 by maddog » Logged
Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2015, 09:39:45 PM +0000 »

I tried to join the Spa race after I had done a few practice laps trying to sort 60fps issues just to see how things worked online. I was planning to start at the back of the grid and use it as a pure test session.

I deleted the track file and re-downloaded / installed and ....same error in IGOR. I made sure that I had the Spa67 track showing in both 65 season ini and 67 season ini and tried again.  Same result.

I had the same problem Clive and just joined via the IP address for the server given in IGOR. I think I, you and few others had the same problem with Pacific raceways this season? Not sure what the cause is but joining via the IP address for problematic tracks instead of uninstalling/reinstalling tracks is easier for me.

As for GPL and Gem, I am using v1.3 and v2.5.32 respectively. If others are telling you your rig specs are fine then so be it but if you do upgrade, personally, I would consider a graphics card update as well as cpu if funds are available. While overclocking of cpu's and graphics card gpu's is not as scary as it once was, I would avoid this unless you really know what you are doing. Happy to supply more detailed info on what I use but don't wish to confuse the issue in the event of an avalanche of info heading your way.
Walter Conn
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2015, 09:45:35 PM +0000 »

I also received this error. I assumed that the error was caused from the lite 3D objects, or maybe too many people trying to join at once? I decided to delete my track folder and I tried to join again using the standard track, but the server was full by then. I was able to join the server on Monday using the standard version of the track without any problems.  

Sunday Driver
Iestyn Davies

Variety comes in packs of 7 GPL cars! Drive 5/day!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2015, 12:19:02 PM +0000 »

Happy New Year all.

I am keen to get my rig sorted to run 60fps as I firmly believe that it is time we moved on in UKGPL.  
I am probably running a PC which is among the slowest of those that members have. So I figure that if I can get it working with my limited knowledge of anything to do with computers, then everyone should be able to do it.
Currently I am running XP on a 2.3ghz dual core processor , 2gb ram and a 1gb graphics card. There is also a new sound card and a larger PSU crammed into the box.

Now it may be that I am doing something very wrong with my current GPL setup and I am beginning to suspect that I may be missing some critical updates to GPL. I recently dropped in on Andy Livingston and saw his "racing seat". It was immediately obvious that his GPL install and title pages looked different to mine, so maybe I have some retro updates to get installed.

Offline on the Spa 67 track ( lite option and reduced 3D installed) and with a grid of 12 cars I was dropping to a frame rate of 6-10fps on the grid at the start, which Is definitely not good. Once things got under way and the cars spread out I occasionally saw 60fps, but as soon as I got close to another car/cars that rate would drop as low as 30fps. I could live with that as I often see frame rates down to 25fps when running under 36fps as we currently do, so I figure that is no worse.
I tried various tweaks to the graphic card setup, but as I understand things in GPL, the graphic card actually does very little and it is the CPU that handles just about everything, so that would be the weak spot.

Axel suggested getting the CPU to run faster, but I confess I looked at the link and tried to follow the instructions and got nowhere. The directions to create a patch to force the CPU speed and then navigate to it and edit the contents arrived at an empty folder ( I had "hidden files" turned on) despite several attempts.

I deleted the track file and re-downloaded / installed and ....same error in IGOR. I made sure that I had the Spa67 track showing in both 65 season ini and 67 season ini and tried again.  Same result.

By then the server was full ( good to see BTW  Grin )

This is the first chance I have had to get back on the PC since then, so there are a few things I need to look into before I have another go.

As anyone who knows me will be aware Computers +  Evilclive = headaches, so once i get things working I tend to leave them alone. However, I will play the numpty here and ask if someone  who knows about these things can post a list of ALL the current patches and updates that we should all have for GPL and GEM ( I know that not all members use GEM, but for those that do it would be worth knowing that we have the latest version).

I might even be persuaded to invest in a new rig as I think I will only need a decent CPU and basic box, then I can transplant my graphics card, sound card etc. ( But of course it won't be that simple will it??  Undecided )

I can understand Clive.. you've been top of GPLrank for a while now, with an errant Nurburgring time (2:02 instead of 8:02)! But, despite this entry mishap, not top of monster rank, which shows just how fast those uber-aliens are.. Shocked! I guessed you didn't see it/were playing an evil joke on us laugh

I have a similar system to yours, Win7, worse CPU and no sound card, and can run 60fps with pribluda turned off on lite/low res Spa, with mostly 60fps. I run lite65s to be safe in 65. And if it's a heavy grid, I use many objects, in addition to less mirror detail/car detail as standard. Graphic optimisations would be next.. I tried no AF after Cookie's suggestions and less mirror size but didn't notice any FPS difference just yet. But I'm thinking you should be in a similar ballpark on getting 60fps to run OK at least?

PS. Racing seat.. cool Cool. I wonder if the version difference is from not having GPL patch installed? Primarily for long tracks like Targa Florio.

PPS. Did you release your improved AI on SRMZ Martin? Those that use AI might be happy to see it, even if only a temporary improvement before someone sets them all right Smiley
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 12:28:21 PM +0000 by Iestyn Davies » Logged

GPLrank = -75
Monster = -400

See ya online Smiley
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2015, 08:32:51 PM +0000 »

Hi Lestyn!  Something that keeps GPL perched high amongst Sims, is the quality of everything made officially available.  Stuff like 60fps Ai which race, but act a bit crazy, would greatly interest everyone, and then start to disappoint.  Same goes for Mods.  Mods could be run out sooner, while being inaccurate, and troublesome.  Years are spent on each one, and they are the better for it.  Try to keep teeth grinding to a minimum!

If Ai at 60 are someday recoded by a magician, I'll recommend a separate .exe name , to end the curse of switching, between offline and online racing.  Program coder required - apply hereabouts for exe-cise. Roll Eyes
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2015, 12:41:59 PM +0000 »

Happy New Year all.

As anyone who knows me will be aware Computers +  Evilclive = headaches, so once i get things working I tend to leave them alone. However, I will play the numpty here and ask if someone  who knows about these things can post a list of ALL the current patches and updates that we should all have for GPL and GEM ( I know that not all members use GEM, but for those that do it would be worth knowing that we have the latest version).

I might even be persuaded to invest in a new rig as I think I will only need a decent CPU and basic box, then I can transplant my graphics card, sound card etc. ( But of course it won't be that simple will it??  Undecided )

Are you still local to me clive? I've recenty upgraded my PC to cope with other games and have yet to get rid of the old parts.
I can give you a motherboard, decent CPU (better than yours at any rate!) and graphics card, I imagine your having them will be easier and less stressful than trying to sell them on Ebay!

All you'd need to buy new would be a powersupply (I'm guessing this as I don't know what you have), and some RAM. ANd maybe a new case if yours isn't to happy accepting any of these parts.
If you could get hold of a copy I'd stick windows 7 on it, I've never had any problems with GPL when running the 64bit version other than the operating system being convinced that track installs have failed when they've otherwise worked fine.
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2015, 01:06:08 PM +0000 »

Great idea Tim!

For all not knowing the specs of their PC, the download of this free hwinfo program can help.

Just install it and run, summary shows all  Wink

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2015, 05:52:31 PM +0000 »

Happy New Year all.

Are you still local to me clive? I've recenty upgraded my PC to cope with other games and have yet to get rid of the old parts.
I can give you a motherboard, decent CPU (better than yours at any rate!) and graphics card, I imagine your having them will be easier and less stressful than trying to sell them on Ebay!

All you'd need to buy new would be a powersupply (I'm guessing this as I don't know what you have), and some RAM. ANd maybe a new case if yours isn't to happy accepting any of these parts.
If you could get hold of a copy I'd stick windows 7 on it, I've never had any problems with GPL when running the 64bit version other than the operating system being convinced that track installs have failed when they've otherwise worked fine.

Now you tell me!!! lol
I have just spent the afternoon in Yate with friends!!! but maybe I recall somewhere that you have moved on from there.

Huge thanks for the offer Tim, but I have had this PC for about 5 years and I have promised myself a new up to date rig with the latest processors etc. in the January sales. Just have to get around to sorting the best deal and ordering it . Then of course bugging the hell out of everyone  Roll Eyes as I stumble around in the dark trying to make it work!!

The way I figure it, that should last me another 5yrs before GPL is running at 120fps, in 3D projected surround graphics and smellivision with Castrol R and burning rubber options.

I would suggest that you advertise the parts right here on the forum, as there are plenty of others who would be glad of the chance of an economical upgrade.

BTW I notice that most pc's are supplied with Win8 at the moment and I have read several reviews that are less than complimentary about it. Anyone using Win8 for GPL? and are there any issues? Otherwise I will hunt down a copy of Win 7.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2015, 08:11:53 PM +0000 »

Nope, still in South Yate but have my own house now  Grin

I would imagine GPL runs in Win8 but would rather boil my own feet than use it....

Win 7 will be tricky to find due to Microsoft having stopped officially selling new copies.

My old kit includes a quad core AMD Black edition 955 processor - it's about 6/7 years old but ran GPL fully maxed out right up until I ripped it out for the new innards.
Unless you're looking to run stuff like Assetto Corsa and Project CARS in full pretty mode then splurging the sort of cash I did last summer will be unnecessary for the sake of GPL - and Power and Glory for that matter. My new I7 and all the other toys have made no difference to GTR2 beyond the fact I've maxed out every graphical option I can think of and removed the 'cars drawn' limit. Racing at Spa against nearly 80 AI cars is quite an experience when forcing myself to start from the back  Cool
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2015, 06:52:38 PM +0000 »

You will get a W7 prof (COA) for 25€ atm.

But W8.1 has a better sound-handling implemented and will be upgraded to W10 without charge  Wink

W7 does not support any sound hardware acceleration...

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com