The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 27, 2024, 02:17:34 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Project CARS  (Read 13211 times)
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2015, 08:22:52 AM +0100 »

Finally got it working and had a fun race round Brands GP in the F3's with the AI at 67%. I'm finding i like the speed blur, improves the sense of speed. Jeez whats happening to me!

I've tried looking into the multiplayer side of things but find the whole interface so bloody confusing. You join the server to find out what details are, rather than being able to see details in the lobby. Then when you join you have to wait to get a full field before actually driving, by then the car and track combo has changed!

Need to check out the Ded server to see how to use it i think.

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 10:58:10 AM +0100 »

Anyone tried this recently? has it got better? One of my guys this week has it and likes it
so, as I am looking at possible alternatives to P&G I would like to know about it.

So far RRE looks the most promising for on-line racing, but there are not enough historic cars yet
or a finished multiplayer system.

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
frex

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 11:17:05 AM +0100 »

I play it regularly and love it, but it is full of bugs, inconsistencies and downright odd design decisions. Getting it set up correctly is a pain, but for me well worth it, and the driving model is very good except for too much off-track grip (imho). My interest is mainly historic cars and there are some good ones in the game, and more to come, which is why I stick at it. When it's good it's my favourite sim, when it's bad it's a heap of frustration..

There is a dedicated team still working on it though and the latest patch will bring it up to ver 2.0 - this is still in testing and will probably be released some time next month. I would hold off on it at least til then.
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2015, 02:48:48 PM +0100 »

Is this any better now?
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2015, 03:17:12 PM +0100 »

Better? Its always been good!

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2015, 05:04:16 PM +0100 »

Was supposed to be full of bugs, that's what I'm asking.
frex

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2015, 10:18:48 PM +0100 »

We're at ver 4.0 now and yes there are still bugs. Less major game-breakers now, but I still get cars missing in replays now and again, or the wrong tyres at a pitstop, or my setup not saved etc etc.

And I still find navigating the UI an utter pain - nothing is intuitive in this game whether it's trying to join a MP race, or even just trying to choose a car and livery, it never seems to be as straightforward as it should be. But despite this I still love it, and for me nothing else nails the feeling of actually sitting in a car on a race track.

Had a brilliant race the other day in the Sierra RS500, another in the BMW 2002, another in the just released '52 Mercedes 300SL - all great fun and enough to make me overlook (again) the idiosyncrasies. And the offline career mode is nice too.

For me the good more than makes up for the bad - I can see that won't be the case for everyone though..
goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 10:55:06 AM +0100 »

Must admit I was very put off by PCARS in the past and the memory doesn't inspire me to spend £39.99 on it now. The same goes for rF2 which was also dreadful the last time I dipped my toe in. Having said that I had a similar experience with Raceroom when that was first released and would never have gone there again until I heard about it here and decided to give it another go.

I don't think these devs do themselves any favours by releasing such early versions of games Roll Eyes

TOP TIP: READ THE RACE ANNOUNCEMENT Smiley
Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 01:23:27 PM +0000 »

So, it is on Steam sale now. For 11 euro's or 22 for the GOTY edition. Was thinking buying it for my 8 jr old son as it has a  complete single player functions  (carreer mode) . But is it really worth the extra money for this GOTY edition?? Or am i missing a heap of content otherwise?

School is important, but race cars are importanter
Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2016, 01:31:45 PM +0000 »

So, it is on Steam sale now. For 11 euro's or 22 for the GOTY edition. Was thinking buying it for my 8 jr old son as it has a  complete single player functions  (carreer mode) . But is it really worth the extra money for this GOTY edition?? Or am i missing a heap of content otherwise?

GOTY version has 50 more cars and 4 extra tracks, and apparently 2 Pagani's.
Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2016, 04:05:30 PM +0000 »

So. standard version is fine for single player campaign. GOTY edition if you want to do online racing also.

frex

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2016, 06:21:15 PM +0000 »

Standard version is fine for single player campaign yes, but if you have the extra content (cars and tracks) in the game then the career mode will create extra race events to make use of them. As it happens I have just taken advantage of the Steam sale to upgrade to the full GOTY edition as there were still a few retro cars I wanted (never tried most of the modern stuff).

I tried out the vintage Lotus pack the other night and a couple of other cars and had some great fun, but a year on from my last post above and I would still maintain what I said there - love the game for the on-track experience, but hate the sheer frustration of navigating the UI..
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2016, 06:27:09 PM +0000 »

Just had a run round Donny, and Cadwell, in a couple of cars, The procar is nice, but doesn't sound anything like as good as the R3E one
the tracks (such as I have tried) all seem very narrow, and a bit exagerated gradients. The menus are "awkward" i tried to change
the suspension on a Sierra, and gave up after a few minutes, all other sims the suspension setup is dead easy, this one is horrible
I suppose once you have set things up the way you like them, it would be less of an issue. I was thinking about getting
some more historic cars, but it doesn't fill me with desire so far. It doesn't "feel" as good as AC or R3E to me, I will do a bit more
track time though.

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2016, 08:28:12 PM +0000 »

Interesting, i will have a look at the difference to upgrade to he GOTY edition.

I orignally started playing it, for its single player career. Does highlight the inadequacy of AI at times though!

Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2016, 09:44:58 AM +0000 »

I have bought the standard version, as it did not seem to be a replacement for AC or R3E to me. Overall look and feel is very nice though. It certainly feels like a complete and immersive racing game instead of the unfinished and incomplete features of other titles. So a good step up for my son after playing Forza.
There does not seem to be much PC leagues around, but the single player campaign looks nice.

However setting the steering and FFB up is crazy. I spent about 3 evenings and substantial time on forum to get it feeling anywhere near something good. Not something for a newbie to accomlish easily.

I have set overall FFB and Tire Force to 100 and steering gain to something like 140. But now it still needs adjustements per car in the setup screens. Master Scale lowered to 20 and Fy scale down to +- 60.

And with all available options i think i have another 3 evenings into setting FFB up ahead. I anybody has some pointers, i am all ears. Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com