Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 09:01:58 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: death of a computer ?  (Read 16430 times)
bernie

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2015, 03:18:03 PM +0000 »

This is a long story so bear with me

I ordered new Asrock m/b  AMD cpu & 450W p/s for my upgrade (as per Cookies spec in Brands Race thread ) .

It all arrived Monday , So set to work and  removed my old asus m/b and Intel cpu from the tower and after finding out how it all went together I fitted the new stuff only to find the ddr2 ram wouldn't fit the new board so had to order new ddr3 ram , after fitting that  ( wed ) I powered up expecting the best !

The problem I have is that on power up the post runs OK afaict . Windows starts to load but wont go past the "starting windows "screen when it drops back to boot up .

It seems the problem is the hdd is not being read , not sure but it may be because the Win7 OS was installed on the original computer ?

I have tried booting from the Win7 disk on dvd drive , the computer wont read that either , nor will it read the Asrock installation disk

I have tried everyway I know to get it to run but had no luck so far , just hope one of you bright sparks out there might have some suggestions before I tear the rest of my hair out !

Could this be a driver issue or thinking is it possible I have trashed the cpu when screwing it all together

I have tried my hdd in another PC and its OK

on boot up there is a message flashes up "" cant find device"" before the Asrock bios set up screen appears , not sure what this means ?

Spec is

Asrock 960GM/U3S3 FX m/b

AMD FX 4300

8gigs Corsair vengeance LP CML8GX3M2A1866C9R

WD 10EARX SATA HDD

Win7 home edition
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 03:23:04 PM +0000 »

You may have to tell your MB that you have a hard drive installed. Use the BIOS. You will have to press a key on boot up. Messages on screen should tell you which key.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

NickyIckx

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 04:10:56 PM +0000 »

Smiley Bernie,

as long your new PC shows you something on the monitor(screen)   in your case some Bios messages and then up to Windows starting logo , your CPU is alive !!!

I just downloaded the fitting manuals for your new motherboard and will have a look right now.
But as quick shot: check inside BIOS if ya HDD and optical drives are recognized..
quickguide:
after you powered on your PC push&hold the delete key till the BIOS menu is up ( could be a different key, should explained at the buttom of screen after you start the PC )
Mostley information for hdd and optical drives are stored in 2nd left menu. just have a look .its selfexplaining.

brb after studying the manual

good luck so far

Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 04:13:20 PM +0000 »

Nothing to worry about Bernie, just keep calm Wink
If you get a screen the hardware is ok!

You have to hit the "del" button before the W7 start screen shows, or when the lights on the keyboard begin to flash.
Read the manual first and look for the bios settings.

Of course you must tell your bios wich device to start first.

I will download the manual to be able to understand your mobo Wink

PS Nicky was faster....

Download this AMD all in one driver pack from Asrock!

Is your Win7 32bit version?

Here you get all your drivers or they are on the CD shipped with the mobo
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 04:42:49 PM +0000 by Cookie » Logged

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
NickyIckx

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 04:45:05 PM +0000 »

inside BIOS under the rider `Advanced`your hdd and optical drives should be listed.

If not:

always good at the very beginning of setting up a new system is to load BIOS safe default settings , hit F9 key once your inside BIOS, then  F10key for save & exit.

then have a look again under Advanced to check ya drives are listed.
_____
if they listed

but PC still hang on Win startup screen,  reboot and then hold F8 key, that should lead to a menu , where you asked for how to start Windows. like `repair, safe mode , and so on. As my memory dont serve me any good atm for that specific way , myabe Cookie knows more exactly...
____

bloody question:
your OS Windows, does it come from an `ready to start`built PC by a company ?
If yes , you may be unlucky and these Windows is limitted to run only on that old PC.

That kind of circumstances are forbidden by law in Germany , but I am unsure about UK... Huh

bernie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 04:48:23 PM +0000 »

Hi Axel thought you might be along , I have tried all that stuff and messed around with the bios settings till I'm blue in the face , both hdd and dvd are shown in there , I have tried various combinations of boot order , the pc will start to boot but gets to the windows loading screen and then jumps back to the post , it does this repeatedly , the only thing is it asks weather to do windows repair or start windows normally , neither option works . the windows repair function gives some error codes but doubt they would help me , ive searched the net for solutions but found nothing except a case of having to make a win7 start up disk using an ISO file , I have tried to make one of these and put it on USB stick but I cold't understand the instructions and gave it up after about 2 hours messing around ! maybe this is the only solution other than complete format of the hdd and re install windows which I want to avoid if poss as I have load of personal stuff on there .
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 04:49:53 PM +0000 »

Nicky the old System was a HP

Axel "Cookie"

Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 04:55:15 PM +0000 »

Do you have a Windows 7 CD/DVD including SP1 in original?

I did not make a W7 repair install yet, but from XP I know that it does not touch or delete the installed applications and data

Have you tried this? http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:01:57 PM +0000 by Cookie » Logged

Axel "Cookie"

bernie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 05:04:26 PM +0000 »

Yes it was HP but I changed the HDD and installed Windows 7 along with another hdd with my GPL on it .

Nicky I have tried all the bios stuff you mentioned thanks !

You guys might not know it but my working life was in electronics , just so you know I have city & guilds and BTEC qualifications in electronics , though that doesn't help me to configure a PC . things have changed a bit since my days when we had to use DOS and write batch files to load programmes . I do know how a PC's internal architecture works but other than that my IT knowledge is crap .

I can probably post some pictures of the various Bios screens if it helps

Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 05:16:35 PM +0000 »

I have the manual and can see the bios,
 but if it boots correct and wants to start W7 everything seems ok for the hardware!

You now have to get W7 to boot!

Have you tried the F8 key and boot in secure mode?

Axel "Cookie"

bernie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 05:17:46 PM +0000 »

Do you have a Windows 7 CD/DVD including SP1 in original?

I did not make a W7 repair install yet, but from XP I know that it does not touch or delete the installed applications and data

Have you tried this? http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Yes I have the original OEM Win7 SP1 disk , the problem is it wont run even though the PC recognises it in BIOS , (I have changed the boot order to DVD)

as said in my o.p. I have tried to make an ISO file disk on USB but messed up , I d/l this from the Microsoft help , it seems you are only allowed to make one copy of the files ?

I will try again with your suggestion from sevenforums.com , this looks promising just maybe I can get it fixed ,

You can only do a repair install with the same edition Windows 7 installation disc for the same edition of Windows 7 that you have installed.
You cannot use a OEM Windows 7 "Factory" Restore/Recovery type of installation disc that came with or created from a store bought computer to do a repair install with. These can only be used do a clean install instead.
You can do a repair install on a factory OEM installation with the latest official Windows 7 with SP1 ISO file here: Microsoft: Windows 7 Direct Download Links, and use Windows 7 USB-DVD Download Tool to create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive with the ISO to do the repair install from within Windows 7.
You can use a retail OEM Windows 7 installation disc to do a repair install with.
You can use a retail (full or upgrade) Windows 7 installation disc to do a repair install with.
You cannot do a repair install with a System Repair Disc. A System Repair Disc is not a installation disc, and will only boot to the System Recovery Options screen.
If you have a 32-bit (x86) Windows 7 currently installed, then you must use a 32-bit Windows 7 installation disc to be able to do a repair install with.
If you have a 64-bit (x64) Windows 7 currently installed, then you must use a 64-bit Windows 7 installation disc to be able to do a repair install with.
You can use a retail Windows 7 SP1 installation disc (ex: Technet (available), MSDN (available), or retail (when available)) to do a repair install with on a currently installed Windows 7 SP1.
You can use a Windows 7 SP1 installation disc (ex: Technet (available), MSDN (available), or retail (when available)) to do a repair install with on a currently installed slipstream Windows 7 SP1.
You cannot use a slipstream Windows 7 installation disc to do a repair install with on a currently installed Windows 7 SP1.
You cannot use a slipstream Windows 7 installation disc to do a repair install with on a currently installed slipstream Windows 7 SP1.
You can only do a repair install from within Windows 7.
You cannot do a repair install at boot or in Safe Mode.
You must be logged into Windows 7 in a administrator account to be able to do a repair install.
You must have at least 8.87 GB + what is currently being used of free space (more if you have a larger installation) on the hard drive/partition Windows 7 is installed on to do a repair install.
If you changed the default location of a user account's profile folder, then you will need to change it back to the default C:\Users location first.
If you moved the default location of a user folder, then you will need to change it back to the default C:\Users\(user-name) location first.

NickyIckx

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 05:21:28 PM +0000 »

you do have 2 hdd connected ?

Then make sure they are connected exactly the same way&order( Sata/ide slot number) to the mb as in the old system !

did you tried without the hdd with gpl on ?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:24:11 PM +0000 by NickyIckx » Logged
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 05:27:47 PM +0000 »

Before doing the big repair install, try to use the F8 secure mode first!
this helps W7 to find the right things sometimes!

Maybe better to just use the sytem HDD and not connect a second before the system runs fine...

Axel "Cookie"

NickyIckx

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 05:34:37 PM +0000 »

if nothings helps/works:   
do you have enough space left on the Hdd, where win7 is on, to create  a new partition to install an new WIN 7 ? make sure your BIOS does support dual boot...
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 05:41:35 PM +0000 »

The board has 2 different sorts of SATA connectors!
- 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by ASMedia ASM1061, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions
- 4 x SATA2 3.0 Gb/s connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10 and JBOD), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions

So plug the DVD and HDD into a SATA2 3.0 Gb/s connector = blue

try if it starts there

As the SATA3 needs a driver: ASMedia SATA3 Driver ver:1.1.9
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:52:12 PM +0000 by Cookie » Logged

Axel "Cookie"

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com