Quarterly cost: �0

March 28, 2024, 01:02:21 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S28 Willow Springs: March 01, 2015
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 28 (2015) - Willow Springs - Mar 1  (Read 5750 times)
Iestyn Davies

Variety comes in packs of 7 GPL cars! Drive 5/day!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 07:18:31 PM +0000 »

It's an interesting topic this, iRacing also have an auto-setup for it, based on your distance to the monitor (FOV point to monitor point in Axel's diagram, in a perpendicular line to the monitor). I know what you mean in the bottom one, as that's what I use with my 22" widescreen. I tried meddling when I got it, but just went back to default as that's what I've always driven. With default FOV, I feel the car is now bigger (more proportional to real life), but also take into account that objects may be a bit closer than they appear (especially in the mirrors).

Generally, with the screen right behind my wheel, my eyes are 20-30 inches from the monitor, depending on if I'm in a crouching or more straight-arm style, but I like to get as close to the screen as possible (given the lack of 3 monitors). I can check the iRacing calculations if you want the formula for what FOV suits what distance to the the screen (but it's probably calculable based off the maths anyway).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:20:31 PM +0000 by Iestyn Davies » Logged

GPLrank = -75
Monster = -400

See ya online Smiley
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 07:34:05 PM +0000 »

I suspect your instincts are correct Lestyn.  The guy who posted all that mathematical stuff certainly gave the impression of an authority in all things optical.  Such stuff does create much interest, but with hindsight, it might have been better to be cruel, as a lot of carnage has resulted in all those careful calculations.

Put into plain English,  he was treating each computer screen as if a flat photograph.  He was then saying, how far from that photograph should you put your nose, for things to look a realistic size.  Try it with a snap of a loved one sometime! Kiss

Now let's see if I can grab my corrected diagram.  Hmm . . . . .
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 07:36:46 PM +0000 »

Ok folks, so . . . here again is the Cookie diagram of FOV, to show how the Field Of View changes the World :

As for FOV I use the default at 78°.

Do you use a 4:3 Monitor? than its ok...

But if you use a 16:9 you will misinterpret distances!
That is what I was thinking...

The diagram tells us a widescreen gives us a wider view. This is wrong!  To gain a wider Field Of View you must change  . . . can anyone guess . . . the FOV!  The red lines are wrong until you change to a higher Fov.  A widescreen changes only the up and down you see - you see less - left & right are normal.  The black lines are correct for all and any width monitor with default.  Non-default is de fault of de user. Smiley

When you switch to 94, you see more sideways. And because you squeeze more in from the sides, everything ahead looks smaller, and further away.  The light blue line is the correct distance.  The dark blue is further - 94 gives you the wrong distance.  A good diagram describes clearly what it is trying to show.  Do not be fooled! scared

This is not the first time I've corrected a Monitor - or an LCD - in this matter.  Considering the importance placed on maximum rules to stop us crashing, it's better to stick to advice you are sure of.  The greater the change from default 78, the stranger your GPL World will become.  78 is what you get when driving a real car up, down, forwards, backwards, sideways, and upside down!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:43:30 PM +0000 by maddog » Logged
AnGex

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 08:32:08 PM +0000 »

Yeah, was lucky that Andreas seemed to have problems in the last laps...

Had overcooked my left front tire. Also lost just a little bit of concentration. But in the end the right and faster Lotus-Man was in front. All in all it was such a good race!

Get up, stand up: stand up for your right!
Get up, stand up: don't give up the fight!
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 11:12:09 AM +0000 »

So which FOV should we be using o wise one Huh
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2015, 11:28:34 AM +0000 »

IMO FOV 94° is correct for a 16:9 Monitor

Just look at the 3 screenshots Wink

We all agree the first picture is the GPL reference FOV 78° in 4:3!

Now compare it with the two 16:9 pics...

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 12:46:00 PM +0000 »

A stationary snapshot, will not tell you much about moving graphics.  We automatically understand our 3D World, but most seem to think our Monitors show only 2D.

Use any FOV number it pleases you to use.  No problem if you simply want a pretty picture.  But I have seen accidents caused by a GPL driver using a very low number.  And I have been hit twice in 10 seconds, at low speed, by a driver using a very high number!   If by making things more difficult for yourself, by using unnatural graphics, you crash into other cars, no problem.  If you crash into me, you are being irresponsible.  angel
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 01:54:32 PM +0000 »

Comparing Pic1 to Pic3 perspective: this is definitely not the same! So you are WRONG!

94° in 16:9 squeezes nothing! Compare 1 + 2... You can put P1 over P2 and nothing changes.

Of course our monitors are 2D yet...

END of discussion!

If you want it mathematical correct, just read here: https://www.quaddicted.com/engines/adjusting_fov_for_widescreen

Using this formula you will get FOV 92,092° for a 16:9 (based on 78° for 4:3)
Adjusting FOV for Widescreen

By default Quake uses a FOV (field of view) of 90. You can set a higher FOV to distort your view to see more to the sides of the screen. Setting a higher FOV also means that the center of the screen will be "zoomed away".

If you are using a widescreen resolution to play Quake and keep the FOV of 90, you will actually play with a zoomed-in view instead of a realistic one. Widescreen means you should be able to see the same stuff like before but with additional space on the sides.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 03:42:37 PM +0000 by Cookie » Logged

Axel "Cookie"

bernie

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2015, 11:23:51 AM +0000 »

Here's my two pence worth

from a drivers point of view I find I am able to place the car more accurately into a corner apex which I think is because of the perceived closer view of the road . The downside being the peripheral view is restricted making close racing very dodgy due to the limited ability to see cars alongside .

A wide angle is preferable to a narrow one , but narrow angle better for driving .

Like everything else in GPL it seems a compromise has to be reached !

Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2015, 12:58:32 PM +0000 »

Bernie,
I do agree with Martin, that a FOV of 78° is the only correct way to see the GPL world as it is intended, on a 4:3 monitor!

Our dispute is about the use of a 16:9 monitor, wich would deform this world if you use the same 78° FOV.

Afair you use a 32" TV - monitor, so the size should not matter...

IMO
With the use of any other than 92° FOV with a 16:9 monitor, your GPL world will be deformed

PS
I learned that FOV 92° is correct after a research in the net and use it.

Axel "Cookie"

maddog

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2015, 01:05:08 PM +0000 »

Anyone who has put on a helmet, and done some real life racing will know, this restricts your field of view.   Real racers  often have to turn their heads left and right to check mirrors.  For us, it's our blind spots which need this, as sound is not always enough.  That is why the glance left & right was made.  Everyone should learn to use it.

The biggest challenge to all Sims racers, is G force - we don't have it!  Seat of the pants racing allows you to feel the road when glancing.  So we all need some practice doing this. Smiley  As for FOV, it is generated internally, and has nothing to do with screen type or size.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:08:25 PM +0000 by maddog » Logged
Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2015, 03:13:49 PM +0000 »

That is why the glance left & right was made.  Everyone should learn to use it.

So true and the best available FOV to help you see when its safe and when its not safe to complete that pass you thought was possible.

Damn it Martin, you talk so much sense, but then you have always been my GPL Guru Cool
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2015, 05:17:39 PM +0000 »

"Ye gads, stop shining that spotlight!"  A larger head is no help to laptimes.  Grumble!

I'm sure we would all  prefer to believe everything broadcast on Television' and on the Internet is perfect, and 100% correct and truthful.   But Website information is only as good as the guy who made it.

The staff here at Ukgpl put in huge amounts of work, to help make our racing possible, so there's no pleasure in lengthy debate.  It's not surprising when racers are mislead by . . . . misleading information.  It's hard to judge facts, when you see instead, attractive fiction.  Sexy fashion magazines have similar warpages. laugh
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 05:21:44 PM +0000 by maddog » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com