The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 18, 2024, 08:58:25 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 7805 times)
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2015, 08:36:41 PM +0100 »

So I thought I'd install Windows 10 on my laptop. It says

"Continuing with the installation will change your display language"

Doesn't give a clue as to what language it will change it to. Do these people do any form of usability testing?

picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2015, 09:53:47 PM +0100 »

Oh dear what have I done  Roll Eyes

After the system rebooted with a blue screen when installing the default W10 apps, which actually resulted in 2 dozen reboots when Windows wouldn't start as it kept giving Stop Code 0xc000021a, you'd think I might give up. But no it did finally give me a desktop.

So I tried to fun FSX Steam Edition, just got a black screen with a white mouse cursor on it. After a little playing around I got it's loading screen - stuck at 80%. Ok let's kill it, nope Alt-F4 doesn't quit, how about close Window from its icon on the task bar - nope. Ctrl-Alt-Delete then, great there is task manager except it won't display it over the FSX Window. 

Really doesn't look ready for my laptop......

spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2015, 10:41:14 PM +0100 »

So i've looking to see what update i need ot download just to get the windows icon so i can 'reserve' it. But i thought once its there it would download it! Grr.. how do i actually tell it i want to install W10 NOW!?

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
dave curtis
UKGPL Server Provider
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2015, 10:59:58 PM +0100 »

So i've looking to see what update i need ot download just to get the windows icon so i can 'reserve' it. But i thought once its there it would download it! Grr.. how do i actually tell it i want to install W10 NOW!?

Of any use?  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Good luck Smiley

Cheers,
Dave.
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2015, 08:03:53 AM +0100 »

That's the utility I  used to get the laptop to 'upgrade' as it had sat there for 3 days not doing anything. It's not the utility (Windows update) to display the reserve icon in the system tray. I think the update you would need is this one https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

However I suspect the tool Dave linked to will upgrade regardless of whether you've reserved it or not.

Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2015, 08:43:55 AM +0100 »

However I suspect the tool Dave linked to will upgrade regardless of whether you've reserved it or not.

It just lets you download an ISO or some sort of flash stick based installer - there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions and a 'both' version (which doesn't work Roll Eyes ). AAUI there's no need to reserve if you upgrade using the ISO.

Thus far all my testing has been in virtual machines, and on the basis of what I've seen I'm not going to be putting it anywhere near a phyiscal machine that I can't just roll back to the previous snapshot when (not if) it goes horribly wrong. Roll Eyes

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2015, 03:58:39 PM +0100 »

In the case of Windows 8.1 Pro in Windows Update in the Control Panel there is a Windows 10 update to select.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
AnGex

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2015, 09:41:37 AM +0100 »

Just installed Win10 64bit before the weekend on my second machine. Runs very well without problems still. Even GPL is working very smooth. Planning now to install it on my first Computer.

Get up, stand up: stand up for your right!
Get up, stand up: don't give up the fight!
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2015, 01:13:12 PM +0100 »

If you have Kaspersky Internet Security installed you need to download the very latest version otherwise it will go AWOL after W10 is installed.

Can report that GTL runs under W10 but you must give it Administrator rights.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2015, 07:52:40 PM +0100 »

Well  Sad Angry... I can report that I used to have a perfectly functioning laptop running Win 7 before I accepted the invitation to download and allowed win 10 to install itself!

Now I have a flat box with a lid, an on/off button that illuminates and a screen that glows a light grey for as long as I care to leave it switched on!!!  Oh yes and a slide out drink cup holder on one side.  Undecided

Needless to say, not overly impressed with Microsoft and Win 10, and I a use for my semi illuminated flat box does not spring to mind  Huh

Going in search of my win 7 recovery disk, but I'm not confident that will work as I appear to have no access to bios for boot options.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2015, 12:31:36 AM +0100 »

Within one month of installing Windows 10 you get the option to do a full revert back to your previous OS. But I guess as you cannot get anything on your screen that's little comfort  Sad

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

BillThomas

We will rock you! Rock on.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2016, 06:37:37 PM +0100 »

Within one month of installing Windows 10 you get the option to do a full revert back to your previous OS. But I guess as you cannot get anything on your screen that's little comfort  Sad

So now with continuous screen warning me that Windows 10 will automatically update in a hour with a count down, I continually have to slip installation to the right by a few days!

The question is if I upgrade to Win 10 from Win7 Professional what problems will I experience after the upgrade eg GTL, G25 wheel, etc? How long does it take to reconfigure?

Advice please.

Bill Thomas   wheelchair
Another one bites the dust
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2016, 06:51:17 PM +0100 »

Speaking from ignorance here (I've put off W10 ) I think the only difference will be having to set everything to run as Administrator. But others may/will have better info?

Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2016, 07:16:50 PM +0100 »

To be honest I kept putting it off fearing it fubaring my system or game installs etc but got to say it installed like a dream, I didn't have to do anything else, all my hardware and software ran straight away with no dramas...I was quite frankly amazed  Smiley. Been running it for a month now.

phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2016, 07:26:35 PM +0100 »

I allowed both my game machines to downgrade to WIn10. For things like R3E it works fine. It seemed to work ok for GTL
but strange things were happening that I could not blame 10 for, but only started happening since moving from Win7
Like things work ok off line but on line would do odd things like I was getting stuck with the same car once I went online.
I have since reinstalled Win7 on both machines, as Battlezone also had trouble, it didn't have drivers for my printer, it doesn't
see the DV drive on one box, the mouse goes out of control,it doesn't see usb devices some of the time.

WIn 7 is now seeing everything, and everything works fine.

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com