The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

April 29, 2024, 06:42:56 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • E Hungaroring: July 23, 2015
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: RRE - Hungaroring - Jul 23  (Read 4595 times)
goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 05:18:41 PM +0100 »

I always find Hungaroring a bit frustrating as it's so easy to overshot corners on exit and run out wide. I've managed a 50.7 with a very attacking style which is probably unsustainable for a race but I suspect those faster types on the leaderboard are simply driving better lines. Certainly the chap I followed round in challenge mode was a lot smoother than I was and a lot less aggressive  Roll Eyes

TOP TIP: READ THE RACE ANNOUNCEMENT Smiley
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 05:48:43 PM +0100 »

Having barely used it, i am going to try and aim to join tonight if you can tell me what to do!  Do i need to 'buy' anything or can i just fire up the game and start playing with the car and track?

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 06:11:17 PM +0100 »

@BILL - This event is for BMW M1 Procar only. It's Sunday when there is a GTR3 at Laguna.
I find the opposite of Tony, I have to push the brake bias towards the rear a lot like 53/47 to stop the fronts locking into corners.

@Spanner - you need the track and the car, you can buy each or you could buy the Euro track pack , and then the Procar
be aware, since you may have last run it there will be some upgrades to be downloaded.

I had to reboot my home lab earlier so now the server is "phspok4"
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 06:13:06 PM +0100 by phspok » Logged

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 06:26:48 PM +0100 »

Spanner, if you want to join us this evening I would just buy the procar and Hungaroring as the Euro track pack is in a sale which starts Friday. This post might help with setting up....

https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=13168.0

There's also a free weekend starting Friday evening which will give you the chance to use all the content until Sunday which will give you a much better idea of what's what before buying things. And we have our free content GTR3 race at Laguna for the same reason.

phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 06:35:28 PM +0100 »

The server wont be there for a few minutes as I am having to do some updates

goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 09:41:46 PM +0100 »

Enjoyed this evening again. The game has some very annoying foibles which I presume will be ironed out in time but the racing seems very solid and again the car felt brill. We could certainly do with a few more drivers but nice to have the quality if not the quantity  Cool

Simon, you need to have a word with the bro when he gets back from oz!

phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 10:15:47 PM +0100 »

With you mostly. I am waiting for things like chat not just in the car, Tyre and fuel use, there is a sort of tyre wear
but it never seems to get below 98% so that needs sorting.
These Procars I think are good fun, they understeer more than I think they should, but are still good.
We could do with some more people joining in, as always the racing is better the more you get.

Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 10:31:37 PM +0100 »

nearly joined you but real life got in the way again. Didn't get home until 8.30 fired it straight up but then had to configure the confusing thing! Not liking the steering at all at the moment but may just be configuration/setting un familiarity.
Best bits = sounds and choice of cars. Worst = steering input and duff simple GTL cockpits on few cars I tried. Steering feels all woolly and doesn't match my input into my wheel. Couldn't find anywhere to set degrees of rotation etc. but hey, did it all in a rush. Tried the M1, E30 so far as I was just trying to tweak my wheel settings.
Will hopefully give it a proper test out at the weekend and read into controllers (fanatic CSW-Elite for me).

spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 11:08:24 PM +0100 »

Well i did.. but my first real go in anger, in a bad handling car around a handling track. Probably not the best way to start off. Give me a modern car i can compare against.

Its a real contrast between the far too many options giving it a sim feel to the, frankly arcade level of interface design. The bizarre fact the the single most important interface with the tarmac doesnt really seem to be modelled at all. Though i hope it is, but no info on tyre pressures, temps etc.? a bit strange.

I get its level there aiming at, but i just kept thinking that pCARS s better than this!

I take it your planning on doing mainly older cars? I'd like to persevere a bit more to see if its worth it or not.

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2015, 08:49:20 AM +0100 »

Simon, you need to have a word with the bro when he gets back from oz!

LOL

He would have to buy me a new pc first and then I might listen for a while whilst he explains to me why I want to have anything to do with a half-baked sim!

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2015, 08:49:45 AM +0100 »

nearly joined you but real life got in the way again. Didn't get home until 8.30 fired it straight up but then had to configure the confusing thing! Not liking the steering at all at the moment but may just be configuration/setting un familiarity.
Best bits = sounds and choice of cars. Worst = steering input and duff simple GTL cockpits on few cars I tried. Steering feels all woolly and doesn't match my input into my wheel. Couldn't find anywhere to set degrees of rotation etc. but hey, did it all in a rush. Tried the M1, E30 so far as I was just trying to tweak my wheel settings.
Will hopefully give it a proper test out at the weekend and read into controllers (fanatic CSW-Elite for me).
Wheel setup is on the car setup page.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2015, 09:06:16 AM +0100 »

Wheel setup is on the car setup page.

...but also needs setting at Options>Vehicle Settings>Wheel Rotation.

Check 1st post...

https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=13168.msg237934#new

phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2015, 10:28:55 AM +0100 »

Loads of stuff we take for granted is still missing from this one.  Sad

Updates come along from time to time though, the server didn't do export of results until a few weeks ago.
It may be I am trying to make use of this thing prematurely, but to me at least, it has enough about it
that it is worth enjoying. I would prefer more tracks, and some more historic type cars
If people want it I will be happy to run events for any car set, but my personal interest is more in
the P&G style classic car sets. My reason for doing this is to look into any possible replacements for P&G
as that seems to have lost favour over the past year or so. I will probably have a play with PCar as well
though reports suggest it is a frustrating experience. AC is good, and way more finished than this is,
if it had some decent classic car sets I would be more interested in that, but to me AC is more of a
GTR2 replacement than a P&G one.

We have tried DTM 1992, Touring Classics, Group 5 (which are late '70s cars) and the M1 Procar
All are good IMHO for slightly different reasons. It is a shame they have chosen to make the DTM92 and Touring
Classics to be matched performance wise, and they even handle similar(ish) but both produce good close
racing, which is what I am after. I have never cared much about hot lapping fun.
The Group 5 cars are nutter cars, great fun but overpowered monsters right up Clive's street I would say  Roll Eyes

As far as kit requirements go, as I have said before, this runs smoother at low graphics setting on my
ancient core2 duo box than P&G or GTL do. Could be the properly made tracks rather than the sometimes
dodgy high texture home made tracks we run in those, but these tracks look better even in low detail level
than the best in GTR2 do.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2015, 11:16:35 AM +0100 »

Thanks for running this series Matt. I'm still not convinced it's for me in the long term (not hysterical enough) but I will continue to support it here when I'm able. Would like to try these cars again as I don't like Hungaroring. Had to leave early last night as I had to collect Mrs Wiltshire from a works "do".

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

BillThomas

We will rock you! Rock on.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2015, 12:01:27 PM +0100 »

Thanks for all the advice last night, I always run my brake balance 2  or 3 clicks to the front. With the lack of virtual mirrors, they worked OK but I noticed the problem a while after installing the Steam Screen Shots and Steam's Frame Rate Utility.  Now when I press "Key 1" to cycle mirrors on I get "Mirrors turned off in game options" but when I checked in the "HUD Settings" they are both shown as on.  Tried turning off and on few times also turned off the FPS but it had no effect. Couldn't see how to turn off the Screen Shots.  Any suggestions?

I have a known problem on sharp corners, I turn in too soon to the apex and then the car naturally runs wide on the exit. I then brake and turn in deeper into the corner which either results in a spin or getting around OK.  I don't know if it's just me or if RRE is more realistic than GTL but I find I need to go deeper into the corners, the line and brake marker on RRE are a great help to me.  With the E30 it helped me to get a single lap of Brands in 53.9 secs.  When I tried that car here I could still not get in a decent lap until I changed from my standard steering lock of 25% to 30% which transformed the car and the E90 which after a couple of laps I got a 2:06.  I  then got a 2:08 after a couple of laps in the M1 but without any mirrors I didn't want to go on the track and mess up anybody's qualifying/race.

Bill Thomas   wheelchair
Another one bites the dust
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com