by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

April 19, 2024, 12:29:27 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to copy GTL to create a fresh install  (Read 2885 times)
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2015, 03:52:19 PM +0100 »

Sometimes it helps if you have various copies of GTL. Perhaps so that each series has it's own install.

To do this it's very easy but in case you want to know how to, then this post is just for you  Wink

Ideally you should start with a vanilla GTL (GTL with no car mods, just the standard set of cars). If you don't have a vanilla GTL it's not a problem. It just means your copying a load of stuff you probably will not need.

Anyhoo, first step is to copy your GTL to a temporary location. Create a folder called Temp. Now copy the complete GTL folder to your new folder "Temp". It will take a moment as it's over 1.74GB of stuff. Ok, so now your GTL exists in two locations, your original and the one you just copied to "Temp". We now need to rename the GTL in "Temp" to allow it to co-exist with it's sibling. So right click on the folder name (Probably GT Legends) and give it a new name. Let's suppose this new GTL install is for an upcoming series featuring the BMW Procar mod for example. Rename the folder GTL Procar (or whatever you want as long as file naming conventions are followed). Now the GTL folder is renamed you can copy it all back to it's original location where it can co-exist with it's original. You can keep the copy of GTL install in "Temp" if you want and use it to create more copies, just remember to give each one a unique folder name before copying it back to sit alongside your other GTL's.

If you want a desktop shortcut so that you can fire up your desired GTL install from desktop follow these instructions.
In your GTL install find the file called GTL.exe. Right click on this file and rename it but do keep the .exe part. For example GTL Procar.exe. Once renamed. right click on the file again but this time choose "Send to" and then "Desktop (create shortcut)". Now check your desktop and you should find a new GTL icon. If you right click the icon you can rename it so say whatever you need it to and you don't need to keep the .exe or the shortcut word. Just rename it to suit your purpose. That's it all done.
Hope this helps.  thumbup1

ADDENDUM: I have discovered that Windows 10 will allow you to copy files to the same location as the host file (Windows adds a "1" to the copy name or adds the word "copy" to the file name).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 01:16:41 PM +0000 by Wiltshire Tony » Logged

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 12:20:36 PM +0000 »

To whom it might cause grave concern and mental anguish.....................

I am awaiting delivery of a new computer Grin which, of course, I shall need to configure for my simracing needs. So, if you were planning that extended winter vacation, now might be a good time to visit lastminute.com ??  Roll Eyes.

My current rig is running limping on minimal spare disk space, 2GB RAm and windows XP, so I have one mega install of GTL with all tracks, all cars, all skins etc all in one file. I did manage to squeeze in that special GTL install for the GP cars, but that was the last available space and it is sitting there under threat of extinction should I need that valuable space!

The new PC should have enough hard disk capacity to have those separate installs for each series, as suggested above. woohoo!!!!

I am hoping that with virgin installs that I can update things with the aid of a couple of 16gb USB sticks by transfering most of the data that I need for GTL and GPL. With maybe just some fannying around with Logitech software and re registering my Lobby connection.

Sounds dead simple....I bet it ain't!!! Undecided

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 12:45:14 PM +0000 »

Always here to help Clive  Hit with a wet fish

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com