The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 29, 2024, 08:41:02 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking over wednesday nights  (Read 7720 times)
ChrisR
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2015, 11:20:13 AM +0100 »

im thinking of taking over from spanner for organising wednesday night races..

It would not be a series, or league etc.. It would be random cars / tracks each week.

Unless there is anyone else who is already thinking about setting this up, be my guest.. I dont want to step on toes..

spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 07:00:27 PM +0100 »

Good luck Chris.

Happy to talk you through the LM2 stuff if you need, its a bit complicated.

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 08:44:58 PM +0100 »

Whilst it's nice to hear someone's taking on the mantle, I fear that having no proper series or standings will not help attendances  Undecided  'Fun races'  have always traditionally attracted lower turnouts. Can't we alternate it with a 'Cup Series' of some sort? ie a Ferrari challenge cup or suchlike.

Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 07:07:56 AM +0100 »

Thanks for volunteering, Chris - I've updated your forum account and profile to give you access to all the same bits as Spanner. Smiley

To finish first, first you must have fins.
ChrisR
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 08:20:43 AM +0100 »

Whilst it's nice to hear someone's taking on the mantle, I fear that having no proper series or standings will not help attendances  Undecided  'Fun races'  have always traditionally attracted lower turnouts. Can't we alternate it with a 'Cup Series' of some sort? ie a Ferrari challenge cup or suchlike.

I have no interest in doing leagues, points etc.. I have neither the time or interest in doing it, when i first joined sruk, we just did random combos on gtl, there were always decent grids.

I think the bigger problem is that of getting the word around, nobody knows about this place.

I will have a word with you spanner later on.

Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 08:28:55 AM +0100 »

Good to hear that Chris thumbup2
Shout if you need some help with testing or something. I don't know when and how much time i will have for on-line racing weekly atm, but willing to help out if needed.

I have to agree with MJ, running fun races only might not attracted the numbers we are hoping for. I noticed guys at NoGrip are having the same problem with their fun races and that is a well known site... So maybe we could start off with some of the new, upcoming content as fun races and then start with one series and built from there? Dunno how much work is involved with exporting results to a drivers championship, but i will be happy to be of assistance there Chris.

School is important, but race cars are importanter
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 11:24:17 AM +0100 »

A suggestion for next weeks race from my own racers brain  Tongue

Entitled 'Enzo Who?'

In the early 90's the Ferrari F40 hit the world stage with gusto. Although never intended for racing, several teams ran it in the IMSA series in the states and then Le Mans and the BPR GT series in Europe with some success winning some endurance races.
Then along came a new star to burst Marranellos bubble...the mighty McLaren F1 GTR. Within two years the F40, no longer able to compete with this upstart, gracefully retired from the racing scene.

So I present an F40 S3 v McLaren F1 GTR race  Cool The venue is up for debate but my first suggestion is Vallelunga where the F40 triumphed in a 6hr race.
I would also ask that our fastest drivers take the F40 for this as I think they will still beat a McLaren driven by more mortal drivers and hopefully keep the action close. Of course your free to choose whatever car but in the spirit of closer racing, be nice to see a mixed grid.
I haven't even tried the McLaren in AC yet and hardly touched the F40 S3 so two fantastic cars to get to grips with.  Cool

So who likes the sound of this? And any other track preferences? Guess Mugello, Spa, Silverstone or Monza would also be pretty epic in these beauties  Smiley

I have no idea how to set up a race here so if someone could it would be great. If there is an instruction page on how to do so I wouldn't mind reading it. I've always been reluctant to volunteer for this as I'm often away or home late to just about attend the races often, but unless someone with enthusiasm does then this place will fade and die.
These two giants could make a great mini series, say 4-5 races  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 01:16:25 PM +0100 by Mark J » Logged

Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 01:53:56 PM +0100 »

Sounds like an epic combo. Any track that flows is fine by me, so no Monza please Wink.

EDIT: In you list, they seem quite far apart:

126.858,McLaren F1 GTR,634
130.827,Ferrari F40 Stage 3,178

So is your combo pure based on real life (which makes it sound like a landslide for the McLaren) or based on that list (which makes it sound like a landslide for the McLaren  laugh Tongue).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 01:55:33 PM +0100 by Jeffrey » Logged
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 03:13:18 PM +0100 »

Yes there is a gap in times for sure, hence a request for the fast guys to take an F40, still a very capable weapon  Smiley those times are also an average based on honcho RSR drivers so scope for a wide variety of lap times here. I was hoping to test both cars myself for a head to head comparison and for the sheer fun of it! But thought I would post first to see if it got some interest.
Just the spectacle of seeing a grid of these two cars in action is drool worthy enough and there are plenty of excellent skins for both to pre choose a car.
I don't mind if fast guys want the McLaren as long as also get a clutch of F40s to also race. Maybe a bonus point incentive to take the F40.
It's just such an exotic combo it deserves a run  thumbup1

Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 03:20:44 PM +0100 »

These cars always have my preference over more sterile type cars, like GT2/3 and open wheelers.

I will try these cars at Vallelunga.
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 04:04:01 PM +0100 »

Cheers Jeff, if you could report back with your lap time findings that would be great  Smiley

Can I have some assistance from admin/mods to make this happen?  Kiss could be the start of a new event organiser Shocked

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 04:50:53 PM +0100 »

Hasn't Chris R just been appointed Director for AC? Seems like he should be your first port of call.

I can offer limited assistance to set things up in LM2 if required. Best to pm me with a clear list of your requirements. Oh , and I ask loads of questions (you have been warned).

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 05:15:29 PM +0100 »

And I will continue to sort out and start the server for the events.

Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 06:46:12 PM +0100 »

Tried them both at Vallelunga, but I'm afraid they are no match.

The McLaren was easily over 2,5 seconds a lap faster. It has aero option, and more setup options in general. F40 S3 hardly has any. It has different tyre compounds, F40 has semi slicks or hards only, who will never stay at temperature.

The F40 is horrible to drive in general. I couldn't complete 2 laps without spinning. It has the same lazy spins as some other sims had. Steady throttle, fast corner, and it just slowly goes around. I was really disappointed by the F40  :'(.

IMO, nobody in their right mind would take the Ferrari.

Looking at: http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRLiveTiming/

The lap records are 2 seconds apart, but the next few laptimes are quite close with the McLaren, but a huge difference early on with the F40. Which to me seems like the F40 is a lot harder to drive for a  lot of people.

First time for me I drove the stage 3 F40. I've driven the standard one, which is a handful, but managable IIRC. The stage 3 is just so much worst  Sad
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 06:50:36 PM +0100 »

Hasn't Chris R just been appointed Director for AC? Seems like he should be your first port of call.

I can offer limited assistance to set things up in LM2 if required. Best to pm me with a clear list of your requirements. Oh , and I ask loads of questions (you have been warned).

Chris wasn't interested until after 1.3 was released. Postal was also hovering around the help/admin side I believe, maybe he can help me test combos/offer ideas. Besides i also want to offer some series/championships to dovetail with Chris' one-off races, maybe on a weekly or bi-weekly rotation. They have always been the core of our racing here as the result means something in the bigger picture and creates friendly rivalry/competition.
Whether either of us can entice all the missing racers back is another thing  :'(

ideally id like to offer a slightly retro (Youngtimer) and a modern series, or just a series of limited round series to test the waters on whats popular.

I know diddly about LM2, so yes would need all the help available! And thanks for the server help Picnic.

edit, oh bugger, thanks for trying Jeff, I thought these two would make a nice little combo. I knew the McLaren was better as it took over in real life but didn't know the S3 would be too much of a pig for aliens to not take it by scruff of the neck and race mortals in a McLaren.  Maybe it just takes more seat time in the F40? Undecided

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com