by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 24, 2024, 10:54:08 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Deadzone on Throttle on G27  (Read 2239 times)
Jeep

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2015, 04:17:55 PM +0000 »

Hi All,
 I'm trying to learn a good Heel & Toe technique in GTL.

One problem for me seems to be that I have a deadzone for the 1st 5 degrees or so in my G27 Throttle pedal. Deadzones in the game are all set to zero and in windows game controller settings even the slightest touch of the pedal shows movement of the throttle axis but in GTL (And other simbin sims such as GTR etc) I have to depress the pedal slightly before I get a reading on the throttle axis in the controls screen. Other axis show an immediate reading when pressed in the sim.

Sims such as GPL for example do not display this tendency. I have throttle and brake set as separate axis (Not combined).

The result in a race is I am not blipping the throttle enough during down changes and keep upsetting the car and spinning out.

Anyone else had this phenomenon?

Do I need to modify my driving technique or has this been addressed elsewhere? (I did search the boards but did not find anything).

Thanks in advance for any help.

TTFN
John.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.
Choose any 2.

Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 05:21:18 PM +0000 »

I don't inderstand why the Windows calibration doesn't show the same deadband.

The potentiometer has a torsion spring on it that keeps the two gear quadrants loaded against each other.  The "flat out" position is determined by the travel stop on the pedal itself.  However, the "off" position of the potentiometer is determined by an arm on the pot quatrant hitting the metal base of the pedal assembly.  The pedal itself travels a little further and unloads the teeth, hence the backlash.

You may be able to move the mesh the gear quadrants by one tooth so that the potentiometer stop is never reached.  Then you will have an anti-backlash gear system that should give you what you want.  That may be the way that they are supposed to be assembled but mine are not.

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
Jeep

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 11:59:00 PM +0000 »

Thanks Clive,
No I don't really understand why I am seeing a different effect in GTL to what I see in game controller settings either.  Huh The wheel does lose calibration in GPL over time in as much as the steering centre point drifts and I have to re calibrate every week or so but the throttle, brake & Clutch seem ok in there.

I presume there is no calibration option as such for the G27 in Windows or GTL? I can calbrate other devices such as my Cyborg joystick through windows but nothing seems to be available for the G27 anywhere.

I am going to try un installing everything (Probably should have done this 1st before asking questions) then reconnect the wheel into a different port and re install again. I'm reluctant to start taking it apart but if nothing else works I'll get the spanners out.

Thanks for the input as to how the quadrants and pot connection works.

TTFN
John.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.
Choose any 2.

Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 08:42:59 AM +0000 »

I'm now using a Bodnar A/D cable on my G25 pedals and that has its own calibration utility.

I had to do this because I had changed the pots to a type with more travel.  However, it would work with the standard pots and give much better resolution too.

You might still have the same deadband though, if it is in the hardware.

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com