by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

March 28, 2024, 09:27:01 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Quick Question about Pit Stops.  (Read 1998 times)
Jeep

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2016, 01:14:27 AM +0000 »

I've been practising these in preparation for the Endurance events.

I seem to have the positioning etc well sorted and can (Usually) manage to select everything I want and end up with the right tyres and enough fuel etc sorted ready to rejoin.

My question regards "Open Pit lanes" (Where there is no pit wall between Pit Lane and Track such as at Bathhurst).

Is it necessary to ensure I enter the pit lane at the start  and do not rejoin the track after pitting until the end of the pit lane? I know the obvious answer is try it out but for some reason I can't get consistent results.

I have on occasion entered the pit lane quite late (Definitely after the entry lights) with no penalty, therefore gaining a second or so as I've been above the pit lane speed limit prior to moving across to my pit box. Also I have left the pit box and joined the track well before the exit lights, again with no apparent penalty. But other times I have received a stop & go but I'm not sure if the 2 are connected.

Thanks in advance

TTFN
John.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.
Choose any 2.

Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 09:01:33 AM +0000 »

I think you have answered your own question. You can risk entering late and too fast and also leave the pit lane early but you may get a S/G penalty. It's always best practice to try out the pit procedure at every track so you don't get caught out.
Also third party tracks seen to have different levels of strictness; another reason to test them.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 01:11:40 PM +0000 »

Pit Stops...oh yes I remember those little things  Roll Eyes

TBH I do need to do some serious practice around pitstops, because I only get about 1 in 10 correct.

Either
Speeding on exit ( forgetting to re engage the pit limiter) and a StopnGo penalty
Failing to put in enough fuel to even reach my intended pits stop 
Failing to scroll through the pit board and select the correct tyres/fuel
Forgetting all about the pit stop!!!

Other than that it all seems straightforward  Roll Eyes

Am I reading correctly when John appears to say that he has his pit board "pre selected"?? or am I just misunderstanding that.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 01:15:56 PM +0000 »

Am I reading correctly when John appears to say that he has his pit board "pre selected"?? or am I just misunderstanding that.

I think that's a misunderstanding.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Bob M.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 02:05:40 PM +0000 »

John:

Also another hint, the Massey's do not have a pit limiter that works for me.  Have to practice with another car and then watch the speedo or tach in these cars.  Got burn't my first time in my first race in one of these cars with a stop & go.  Great series though!!  Enjoy....

Bob M.
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 02:18:57 PM +0000 »

I'll see if I can identify the pit lane speed tonight and post it.

Jeep

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 09:56:50 PM +0000 »

Thanks guys, No As Tony says I don't have anything pre selected on the pit board I've just worked out roughly what arrow keys need to press from the default display for a quick stop. (Of course Variables like options to repair damage which may or may not need my attention still mess with my head).

Thanks Tony for the info from the track read me (Posted elsewhere).

I was wondering about the Mazza and the pit speed limiter. I do not seem to have any road speed indicated anywhere on my display. Is there a setting somewhere which will display it for cars with no Speedo? I've got XD but that doesn't seem to show it. I get a nice set of instruments if I want to drive arcade style of from the nose but not in the cockpit.

The way I worked it out for the Mazza was to take a none cockpit view and see what the revs were at 50kph which seems to be the normal pit lane limit. (For info it's 4.5K in 1st and 3K in 2nd - Both variants).

TTFN
John.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.
Choose any 2.

Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Bob M.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 10:58:16 PM +0000 »

I got into the habit in the GC/Muscle car league in which we almost always have a pit stop race,  that on the lap before the pit stop I go to auto clutch (button F2) so I can't kill the engine and as I enter the pit I go to hood view, because the gauges are big and also seems to me to be easier to hit the spot so the pit board will come up. As I exit I go back to race mode...........

Bob M.
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 02:51:06 PM +0000 »

If you press the "2" key you can toggle the amount of onscreen stuff you have. So maybe turn it on when approaching pits and turn it off after pitting?

Jeep

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 03:11:51 AM +0000 »

If you press the "2" key you can toggle the amount of onscreen stuff you have. So maybe turn it on when approaching pits and turn it off after pitting?

Hi Tony,
 Presumably this only works for views other than the cockpit view? (I ask because it does nothing for me unless I'm in in 1 of the other views).

*Off topic*
I'm still jumping from car to car and track to track for the two 55 series at the moment trying to get a feel for what works where for me so I'm sure I will bring the odd knife to a gun fight and find myself sitting in the only F250 on a grid full of Maserati's at some point in the season.  Huh Looking at last years results for tracks we are racing on this year has thrown up a few surprises and encouraged me to try some car / track combinations I thought would never work.

TTFN
John.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.
Choose any 2.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 11:37:31 AM +0000 »

Just ran a test and for me LF Shift changes car views (4 options) and the 2 key toggles dials (3 options). Are you pressing the right 2 key? Should be the shift " key not the numpad.

Jeep

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 04:23:03 PM +0000 »

Well, I think I'll just file this in *Unknown*.. As I said switching driving view to anything other than cockpit allows me to use the "2" key but from the cockpit it has no effect. (This "Sort of" makes sense as the dials are visible anyway - apart from those hidden by the wheel).

Anyway... I'm off to Belgium tomorrow with my job until Friday (Oh Joy).. So won't get a chance to mess around with any GTL stuff this week. No worries. I can live with what I have.

TTFN
John.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.
Choose any 2.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com