by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

March 28, 2024, 12:05:56 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Am for GTL Any interest?  (Read 8584 times)
Jeep

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 03:03:42 PM +0000 »

Ok, a few deliberate mistakes just to check if you were paying attention. Smiley

1) References to the "SIM_GTC.gcb" file in the readme should of course refer to the "SIM_GTC.gdb" file.

2) You may find the larger engined BRM a bit quiet. (As in silent). It's nothing to to with the latest Euro 4 regulations for vehicles, the .aud file still contains paths to the original GTR2 pack (I was using it as a benchmark for my own efforts).

Replace it with this one https://www.dropbox.com/s/qujws5cq2kzwpxl/brmp154_496ci.aud?dl=0

Place it in the [GTL_Root]/GameData/Teams/ExtraCars/Can-Am/BRMP154 folder. (Allow to overwrite).

TTFN
John.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.
Choose any 2.

Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
BillThomas

We will rock you! Rock on.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2016, 04:46:40 PM +0000 »

Made time to install before pickup for coach tour but unpacked file in wrong place in my haste - think it should have been in my new GTL root, not in Gamedata folder.

(Tour going well, weather dry, cold but sunny. Coach comfy, with WiFi and unlimited free drink by dolly courier.)  Wink

Bill Thomas   wheelchair
Another one bites the dust
Jeep

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2016, 02:13:03 AM +0000 »

Glad you are having a great time Bill, If the coach has Wifi you should have took your PC, I'm sure they would have made room for some driving. Smiley scooter

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, I've been slowly working through everything..

Driver position in the Lola's (In Replay and 1st initial load in the garage) is fixed. It took ages to work it all out. It all seems obvious now but a few typo's in the car files, (Missing minus signs etc on some parameters) threw me initially and the fact I spent an hour loading the wrong version of the sim via the Logitech profiler and couldn't work out why my changes were not having any effect didn't help either.  stupid

I have revamped the sounds, The Olds powered M1B now has new sounds which are no longer from the original install. (Well they are the same but I have adjusted the volume and added a bit of echo). Other sounds have also been adjusted for rpm and overlap between the various RPM ranges. More feedback welcome but I'm happier with them now.

I have also made my initial venture into the tyre files... After wading through loads of these files spread across many different car classes I've come to the conclusion very few others really understand them either.  helpsmilie Lots of copy/paste between many of them (And I did no different to get my starting point if I'm honest)... I have fine tuned a set using the TFAR (That feels about Right) methodology which has me swapping ends regularly now if I'm over enthusiastic and has also added about 2 seconds to my lap times at the 60's Monza circuit. It currently is only the "Hard Compound" for the Lola T70 350ci but once we get something we are all happy with I'll apply it to the other tyre files as well. I'm having a hard time working out the wear rate. There is a parameter in the "tyr" file called "WearRate" but changing it to vastly different values seems to have no effect so there must be something I am missing.  Huh

Another thing I need to work out is the fuel consumption. The suggested laps on the set up screen bears no resemblance to the actual range possible and I currently have no idea where to find this.. (Although XD appears to calculate it correctly).

I'm going to put a new release up this weekend. I'm afraid it will be a replacement rather than a patch as I've also changed some "paths" in the car files and moved a few files. (You should be able to simply delete the "Can-Am" folders from your "Sounds" & "Teams/ExtraCars" folders and unzip the new version into the install.

I'm also going to remove the Mcleagle M6B.. It's incomplete (No cockpit or wheel) and it didn't actually race in the 67 series. I have tried to merge the cockpit Terry sent for the M6A but not luck so far. If I can fathom it out I'll re add it. I'll leave the BRM's in there though (Even if they are from the 70's seasons) Just because I like them.

TTFN
John.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.
Choose any 2.

Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Jeep

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2016, 03:03:13 PM +0000 »

Well, Very busy at work so the proposed new version got delayed..

I have made a lot of progress though and managed to address all the issues and suggestions raised so far. (Thanks for the feedback).

I started working on the grip levels and looking at the overall speed of the cars.. I'm not sure what to do about the speed. Information regarding these beasts is dotted around the web but much of it is conflicting with BHP and Weights etc varying quite a lot (Plus a number of different engines seem to have been dropped in at some time in the season which just muddy's the waters even more).

My original formula for adjusting the tyre grip all fell in a heap. I ended up with very unpredictable handling which while it definitely increased the lap times it just felt totally unconnected with the road surface. So a new method is being tried which is giving much better results. I decided the best way to see the effects consistently was to run a few full race sessions and just leave the AI to get on with it while I noted the lap times for each car.

This went well for the 1st 30 minutes or so then I got a CTD. Several further attempts resulted in more of the same. The trace file is about as much use (To me) as a Chocolate Teapot and didn't give me much info I could comprehend but I have narrowed it down to some (Or all) of the Lola T70's which are the culprits.

Obviously this is a show stopper at the moment which is a shame, It was all coming together really nicely. Lap times are still around 10 seconds faster (At Road America) than the real Pole time in 1967 but I think that may down to GTL track grip levels and/or track inaccuracies.. (The Big Massa is only a few seconds off Bruce's time and as fast as it is it shouldn't be anywhere near a Can-Am car on those skinny tyres).

So, all I can say is it's not been abandoned but it needs to be done right or not at all if we are to consider running a series at some time in the future.

I just wish I had tried to full race simulations right at the beginning so I would know if it's something I have done or it was an issue with the original models.

TTFN
John.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.
Choose any 2.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2016, 04:21:09 PM +0000 »

John, don't know if this is of any value to you but if you check our downloads list, we have a Lola T70 included. Maybe you could probe it for answers?

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2016, 11:48:29 AM +0000 »

I have not tried your Can Ams yet John, mainly because my record at installing any new mods in GTL usually end in a swamp of misplaced files and screen crashes. Followed by numerous posts and pleas for help to correct all the errors.

So, I have resisted the urge to jump in and try your new offering. Early moves are afoot for a new PC build with bigger , better memory and storage, graphics etc. I think once I get the new PC up and running I will opt for the multiple "virgin" installs for each series.

I can see the advantage in doing that because any new addition will not screw up what I already have working smoothly, which is what tends to happen at present  Undecided

I am following this thread and the comments and your struggles with great interest as I think the Can Ams could be huge fun. Wink

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Jeep

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2016, 12:00:10 AM +0000 »

No Problem Clive, I thought I knew what I was doing and I've ended up with an unplayable package a few times so fully understand where you are on this. Smiley

Well, We have success, finally found out what the problem is and it was nothing to do with the mod itself, and probably would not have happened to anyone else.

Although it makes no sense to me at all, my problem appears to be related to the length of the <PATH>/file name. I have my development pack installed down under several directories well away from my "live" installs. It seems that either the number of directories in the <PATH> and/or the overall number of characters in the full <PATH>/file names caused some strange issue. I know there is a limitation in Windows of around 255 characters (I'm not even close to that) But perhaps it's a GTL limitation being an older game?

Anyway, all back on track. (See what I did there)....   smartass Grip levels feel a lot more realistic (At least to me), and I seem to have the cars where I want them, M6A definitely the fastest followed closely by the Chaparral, then the Lola and M1B with the 340bhp M1B definitely the slowest on any tracks with a decent straight. but overall leaving the AI to get on with it there is only around 2s difference between 1st and 35th after qualifying so no repeat of the Bruce and Denny show which I wanted to avoid at all costs.

It will still be a few days until I'm ready to post the new release but I'm a lot happier now and think it's an altogether more polished pack 2nd time around.

TTFN
John.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.
Choose any 2.

Jeep

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2016, 12:48:58 AM +0000 »

Hi All,
 Link to new version sent out via PM. Significant tidy up and revised tyre model are the highlights, more details in the PM.

I'm aware you are now mostly well into the racing season so have a look when you have time. It's worth downloading the appropriate tracks as they do feel so much more at home in their native environment. (Although the 60's Monza track is also a blast as is Le Mans [Without the chicanes]).

Track list for the season can be found here.....

http://www.classicscars.com/wspr/results/canam/canam1967.html

All are available on nogrip (But not necessarily exactly the correct layout for 1967).

Thanks again all.

TTFN
John.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.
Choose any 2.

Jeep

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2016, 10:56:26 AM +0000 »

OK, It's official I should not be allowed near a computer screen when sharing my time with a very nice Single Malt...

Just sent out a fresh PM, The previous one contained a link to the original pack instead of the latest version.

Sorry for the confusion.  Huh Embarrassed

TTFN
John.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.
Choose any 2.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2016, 03:05:08 PM +0100 »

Can-Am series for next year is go https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?action=LM2R&group=546&theme=5

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Geoffers

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2016, 03:34:33 PM +0100 »

Jeep

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2016, 02:39:58 AM +0100 »

Hi Guys,
 OK, Can't put it off any longer.

Here is the final release. Still time to tweak it before the series if required but it seems pretty good and I don't plan to make any changes unless someone comes up with an issue which needs resolving..

Readme with full credit list etc included in the archive. I'll also be making a post over on the Evo Modding Forum and probably in the general GTL section here as well in case any visitors don't look at the UKGTL pages.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/21wj65s1ed8aa2l/GTL_Can-Am-1967_V1.0.rar?dl=0

TTFN
John.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.
Choose any 2.

Jeep

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2016, 05:02:58 PM +0100 »

Had some feedback from guys over on Evo Modding. General comments were that the Handling was still to unpredictable.

So revised the tyr files again. Definitely more stable into corners now and able to drift the rear under power. Overall result is default set ups now have more push than before but adjusting roll bars and spring rates does allow for a more oversteery set up if preferred.

Added exhaust vapour to all cars (Just for a bit of immersion when sitting on the grid).

New Download link . . . . .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5hnlvv2cbm1gmhw/GTL_Can-Am-1967_v1.1.rar?dl=0

Also not sure if we will use it (I hope so).. I converted Philrob's 1967 Laguna Seca track from the original Absolute Can Am track pack to GTL. (With Phil's permission).

Download is here. . . . .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/udur5631tet12we/67_LagunaSeca.rar?dl=0

Going to also convert his 60's Road America and 67 Mosport tracks as well to see if they are better than the existing offereings.

TTFN
John.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.
Choose any 2.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2016, 05:46:07 PM +0100 »

John, the Laguna Seca 1967 version is already in our download list  Wink

And is included in the Can-Am series for next season.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2016, 09:43:08 AM +0100 »

Thanks to Jeep for this and for including me on his Beta tester list, although I could not commit the time to help.

Looks like I had better download and check these cars out soon, as this is likely to be very popular and ultra competitive!  so many cars, so little time!!!  Undecided 

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com