The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 28, 2024, 09:47:18 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: considering buying  (Read 1955 times)
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2016, 07:40:12 PM +0100 »

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting back into sim racing.  Most of mine has been with GPL but stopped a few years back due to life getting in the way.

could you guys let me know if:
Is AC worth the purchase?
Is it only through Steam?
Should I get the dream packs?

Cheers

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 08:15:04 PM +0100 »

Yes
Yes (Pretty certain)
Yes

Grin

In all seriousness Steve it's a fantastic sim, the force feedback is 2nd to none and they seem to take the time to actually simulate the cars properly rather than making something that's 'nice and fast' just because it's a Lambo etc..

A case in point would be the Muira, sounds glorious, stupidly fast, but will try and kill you the instant you so much as look at a corner.
Or the Mustang from the new free pack. Again sounds really nice (As a small block V8 should) but suffers from understeer mid corner (open diff and heavy car) and likes to bounce around as a result  Grin

The Lotus 49 manages to be very different to the GPL version while also being very similar. It really likes trying to kill you I've found, the Lotus 25 from a recent dream pack is a joy to drive once a few tweaks have been made.

A few points for fairness though - single player is not great. The AI are generally very good and even give similar lap times to what you'll manage without 'matching' your pace GTR/P-CARs style after you've done a few laps but the career mode isn't that hot if I'm honest - stick to racing online and that won't be a problem  Wink
The dream packs are good value when you consider you're getting a new track as well as the cars - all the tracks have been top-notch quality wise. The Nordschliefe even has half the trees in the right place and bits of innocuous scenery I wouldn't know existed if I hadn't been there...
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 09:36:24 PM +0100 »

Thanks Tim.  Any idea how it compares to Race Room Experience?

Steve

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 09:57:17 PM +0100 »

I much prefer it if I'm honest.
Something just doesn't feel 'right' in RRE. Plus it's probably a lot cheaper as you actually have more than 2 tracks to start from  Grin
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 10:12:36 PM +0100 »

RRE is available to download and try out for FREE

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 10:34:20 PM +0100 »

ok thanks guys.

I'll probably go ahead and get AC and when time permits I'll take a look at RRE too.

Steve

Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 11:09:53 PM +0100 »

You won't regret it  Smiley. It's a cracking sim with superb feedback/feel and a large range of cars that just feel right.

Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 03:40:34 AM +0100 »

It is definatly worth it, and playable only through steam. But you can buy it a lot cheaper than directly at steam, you can buy keys for less than 30 euros, but the game seems to be in a steam discount a lot.

Wait with the dream packs will you decide about how you like the game, but they are worth it tho.
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 06:17:44 PM +0100 »

purchased with the 3 dream packs available on steam.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. I'm sure I'll need more.

Had a very quick look and it looks very good.

I notice the next race online says Ferrari F458 S3, I couldn't find that in the packs available.  Theres 2 others but not the S3.  Do I need to download that from elsewhere? I'm not sure I'll make the race but it will give me a benchmark to work from.

Steve

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 07:27:45 PM +0100 »

When you go to select the 458 you'll see a little icon in the top (Right?) hand corner above the car - you can change the tuning for some cars by clicking on that  Smiley
In the Ferrari's case I think you have STD and STG3
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 07:37:51 PM +0100 »

as FMG says, within the image of the car you see two little round icons, click one to choose your favoured colour scheme and the other chooses the stage of tuning (assuming a certain car has various stages)..the F458 has.

Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 07:38:56 PM +0100 »

I think joining the server will automatically give you the right car.
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 07:47:48 PM +0100 »

Ok thanks I'll try it again later.  Smiley

Steve

picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 07:59:47 PM +0100 »

I think joining the server will automatically give you the right car.
That reminds me - server been updated! Just now  Embarrassed There is a practice session running please could someone give it a 2nd test.

b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 09:55:57 PM +0100 »

Again, thanks for all the direction provided.  I seem to be sorted and everything working.

Please could you advise me on what the appropriate realism settings are to use for practice? Do you set to 'Pro' and go with that or something different?

May as well start in the right direction, although I'm expecting a massive learning curve and lots of practice to get anywhere near a reasonable lap time.

Steve

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com