Quarterly cost: �0

April 19, 2024, 04:25:50 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
Forthcoming
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S30 Nuerburgring: April 22, 2016
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 30 FUN - CanAm66 - Nuerburgring - Apr 22  (Read 3809 times)
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2016, 11:48:05 AM +0100 »

100 years ago, my Grandfather raced on the high banks of Brooklands.  During our race, I discovered how to race around the high banks of Nurburgring.  They don't normally see much use, as they're cleverly painted green, to avoid detection by those without the heritage, breeding, and desperation to use them!  Roll Eyes

My main race interest, was with a Lesser White Whale, which 2 times came fishing for my tail.  I was reeled in twice, but managed to escape by floundering less.  It's hard work, but rewarding work, to haul these semi-tamed animals around the high banks of The Nurb.

GregT

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2016, 02:58:46 PM +0100 »

Congrats Iestyn and Martin! That was an awesome drive by Iestyn. A 24 second lead over Iestyn after lap 1, still probably wasn't enough to win even if I hadn't made mistakes.

What an adventure. I didn't know what race, if any, would be run until a few minutes before qualifying started. I loaded a Laguna Seca setup I had been developing. It was the only setup I had with additional ride height. I applied a couple clicks on the differential to get the gearing closer. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the assymetrical cambers. The gearing was still too short.

After 1 lap I adjusted the differential some more so I wasn't limited to 180mph on the straight. After spins and wrecks on my first lap I couldn't trust that my tire readings had any useful information. My second lap was cleaner. My top speed was still limited to 185mph but I was able to get useful tire readings. That's when I realized my cambers were terrible for this track. Luckily, I got the car set up decent before the race started.

I did some things I haven't done in while. In qualifying I downshifted into reverse once. Smiley And I clipped the tree exiting Adenauer. I was also very nervous for the start. No starting practice and carrying 22 gallons of fuel made me think, this could be very ugly. Luckily after full opposite lock and a huge slide in T1, I was able to calm down.

Lap 1 was pretty good. Lap 2 was looking to be real good until I had a major crash at Antoniusbuche. I thought I damaged the suspension but not enough to reset. Soon after I began thinking the engine was down on power. It wasn't until the end of sector 1 I was sure it was ailing. Cold tires and full fuel assured I wouldn't pressure Iestyn. Later I suspected Iestyn was waiting for me at times plus he made some minor mistakes that kept me somewhat close. He was laying down some incredible black marks at times. I had to be careful not to marvel at them instead of driving. Smiley

Yes, you are crazy Axel. But you did give me a good opportunity to stand by my plan of learning to drive the fastest McLaren first, just like I did with the 71's. With this difficult circuit, I was tempted to take a lower powered car.

Iestyn had me shocked with 8:02 on lap 2. But at that point I thought he was driving the big block Lola. I couldn't believe he was that fast. With the bog block I didn't expect him to be much, if any, faster than me. I was relieved after the race was over to see he was in Surtees's Lola. That made his times seem more realistic.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the fun.

You know that some people are different
Now ain't that a crying shame
Now wouldn't it be a real drag if we were all the same

Savoy Brown
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com